Patch 7 for PC - Release Notes

It doesn't. That explains why you prefer digital controls. It doesn't explain why you prefer a clunky method of digital controls.
I shouldn't really have to explain to you - on a Shenmue forum of all places - that taste is diverse, and people can prefer different things.

I played nearly the entirety of Shenmue I & II with those new analogue stick controls. I didn't do it to prove a point, or just to say that I did, I did it because I tried it - and liked it.

If the new analogue controls are not something you enjoy in Shenmue I & II, then strike it from whatever column of "pros" you have about that version. Just be aware that your view is not universal, and that the exact text in my own list of pros was it "offers left analogue stick controls in the first game"; which is factually correct and makes no assertions that everybody will enjoy them.

If the new analogue controls are not something you enjoy in Shenmue I & II, then strike it from whatever column of "pros" you have about that version. Just be aware that your view is not universal, and that the exact text in my own list of pros was it "offers left analogue stick controls in the first game"; which is factually correct and makes no assertions that everybody will enjoy them.

There are no new analogue controls in the re-release.

Simply untrue. Improved texture filtering, anti-aliasing and supersampling (not to mention 16:9) all improve the image quality significantly. The Dreamcast version is a shimmering, jaggy mess by comparison. See for yourself. You could use a crazy expensive DC HDMI box + mCable setup and the Dreamcast version still wouldn't look half as clean as the HD version.

It's fine to prefer the Dreamcast version -- that I understand -- but don't pretend it's better in every way. There are pros and cons to each.

They look pretty similar to me. Anti-aliasing helps, I'll give you that, but texture filtering and supersampling are next to useless when the textures and models aren't at a high enough fidelity that it makes any real difference.

I never pretended the Dreamcast version is better in every way. I've already said how I like the convenience, and the shortened load times.

Last edited:
They look pretty similar to me. Anti-aliasing helps, I'll give you that, but texture filtering and supersampling are next to useless when the textures and models aren't at a high enough fidelity that it makes any real difference.

The reason the Dreamcast games shimmer so much is because they completely lack any form of texture filtering. View any detailed surface at a distance or at an acute angle and you'll notice it strobe and flicker because the detail isn't being blended. So texture filtering definitely makes a huge difference. Supersampling simply makes the entire image smoother by rendering the game at a higher resolution, then squeezing it back down to 1080p. It's a night and day difference in my opinion. Playing the DC version on a modern HDTV would be horrible without spending hundreds on an upscaler etc.

I never pretended the Dreamcast version is better in every way. I've already said how I like the convenience, and the shortened load times.
Fair enough!

The reason the Dreamcast games shimmer so much is because they completely lack any form of texture filtering. View any detailed surface at a distance or at an acute angle and you'll notice it strobe and flicker because the detail isn't being blended. So texture filtering definitely makes a huge difference. Supersampling simply makes the entire image smoother by rendering the game at a higher resolution, then squeezing it back down to 1080p. It's a night and day difference in my opinion. Playing the DC version on a modern HDTV would be horrible without spending hundreds on an upscaler etc.
Yeah I agree with all of this for sure. Except for the fact that the DC version is still beautiful despite it's shimmer...

I agree with DF Retro that these are the definitive versions. His video shows how significant the visual improvements are.

Hey guys, things are derailing a little bit here. Maybe one of you could open a new thread about the matter and continue discussion there.

And just a friendly reminder to keep things civil if you do, we've all got our own opinions and that should be respected :)

Any news of another update at all? Not sure how much longer I can hold off on playing Shenmue II.
None though asking on Twitter might be an idea.

I'd start playing if I'm honest with you.

Any news of another update at all? Not sure how much longer I can hold off on playing Shenmue II.

At this point I've played about 80 hours and I'd say it's very playable. It's not perfect by any means but, very much playable and free of game breaking bugs for the most part.

At this point I've played about 80 hours and I'd say it's very playable. It's not perfect by any means but, very much playable and free of game breaking bugs for the most part.
Did the loud notebook music get fixed?

I would not be surprised if there will be no more patches. All versions of the game have been released at his point, bar those Pix N' Love art book editions, but those will probably use the same patches that are already out if they are not already loaded onto the disc.

Can anyone confirm what the update fixed if anything?

Back