Phantom River Stone Blog

No plans for it at the moment I'm afraid. Would you say there'd be fan interest for similar sort of coverage?

Being a fan of both series, I wouldn't like that as I fear people assuming Yakuza is Shenmue related genre wise or worse, as some spiritual successor type. But if you are expanding the site in scope to cover Sega games in general or Japan centric games for example, it'd be fair game and I'd sure be interested even though deep down I'd miss phantom river stone being a Shenmue only site.
Anyway, great work with all the Shenmue coverage lately! Thank you Switch.

Like Shenmue, Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku has its own features with portraying not just Yokosuka, but a good portion of Japan. For example, it features real life shops such as Don Quijote, Matsuya, and Ikinari Steak. It goes into Japanese culture and society, but in its own appropriate ways.

But if you are expanding the site in scope to cover Sega games in general or Japan centric games for example, it'd be fair game and I'd sure be interested even though deep down I'd miss phantom river stone being a Shenmue only site.
Like Shenmue, Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku has its own features with portraying not just Yokosuka, but a good portion of Japan. For example, it features real life shops such as Don Quijote, Matsuya, and Ikinari Steak. It goes into Japanese culture and society, but in its own appropriate ways.

One of the underlying goals/themes of Phantom River Stone is highlighting various aspects of real-life language & culture that infuse the Shenmue games, and from that point of view the Yakuza series does sound as if it has great potential for material to work with. I wouldn't want the current output of Shenmue content to suffer through branching out though, so it would need some careful planning and resourcing if it were to happen.

I’m sure you don’t have to do it right away. If you run out of Shenmue material to cover, Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza would be a great next step in further expanding the site.

I would say sure, but there's already Salty Yen that does a playthrough of each game in the series and highlights these parts as he goes along.

I fear that Switch qould get, "lost in the fray," of sorts, as Yen is already there (plus devilleon and a few others).

Its up to Switch, ultimately!

After playing the first chapter of Judge Eyes, I think at one point, you guys should do the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series when you can. My wife and I are playing it. My wife is a Japanese native and she explained a lot to me in context to what is going on in not just language, but culture as well.

Shenmue Fan Meeting in Yokosuka: Summary & Highlights

Earlier this week, on December 24th, a group of 120 Shenmue fans packed into a venue in Yokosuka, Japan for a Shenmue fan meeting, organized by Yokosuka City and IGN Japan.

all.jpg

The event was streamed and consisted of various sections:

Section 1: Let's Ask Ryo (Masaya Matsukaze answered fan questions)
Section 2: Keep Overseas Shenmue Fans Close (video messages from several fans in the Shenmue community outside Japan)
Section 3: "How About Trying a Mega-Tough Quiz?"
Section 4: "Hazuki Style" Martial Arts Basic Lesson by Master Matsukaze

Our post recaps what took place at the event:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/12/shenmue-fan-meeting-in-yokosuka-summary.html

Dojo member @yuc02 has translated a report on an interview with Yu Suzuki and Hiroaki Takeuchi that was held in Xiamen, China at the recent G-Fusion event.

The translation is split over two posts. The first part contains details about Shenmue III, while the second part is about Yu Suzuki's early years in game development and the influences that gave him his sense of mission.

f62c87a81b7e410ca87db81b9045b872.jpg

Part 1) Yu Suzuki's Interview in China - Part One: Shenmue III Details
Part 2) Yu Suzuki's Interview in China - Part Two: Early Game Development Years

Last edited:
It now makes a lot of sense why Jeffry and Wolf have been seen/used either in their flesh form or in expy form (Rod Stunt and Greg More); they have been prevalent to Yu for a long time and he has obviously worked a lot on them, from a character standpoint.

So awesome, thanks Switch and yuc02!

Back