Phone Card Conversations | Discussion Thread

I wanted to make a topic about the phone card conversations you can have with previous Shenmue characters. We could probably rank which characters are best to worse in terms of how we remember them. I'm only going by the English dub. I'll start with a few things I thought about them. Spoilers below obviously:

Nozomi

They have completely butchered this character in my opinion. I was honestly completely shocked when I heard the voice. It sounded nothing like Nozomi and it didn't even sound like they were trying to sound like the Nozomi I remember. It sounds like a completely different character in voice and personality. Honestly this was incredibly disappointing.

I did like some of the dialogue though when you can talk about the amulet, but the character herself is completely different. It really took me by surprise.

Joy

This is 100% the best voice match and personality match from the previous games. I was really happy to hear Joy and it honestly didn't sound far off the original voice. Is she back? I haven't checked but it could easily be the original Joy in my opinion.

Ine San

This was really nice too. She definitely seemed a lot happier to hear from Ryo but overall this was done really well.

Tom

Even though this wasn't exactly the same, the voice was great and honestly really did make me think of Tom. A great evolution and I had zero problems with this voice.

His dialogue with Ryo is great too and quite surprising story wise!

Fang Mei

This was fine too. Had no issues with this and the dialogue was funny.

Was nice to ask about Xiuying.

Fuku San

This wasn't too bad. Definitely a little different personality wise but overall it was okay.

Goro

This sounded nothing like the original voice really sadly. I know characters like this were probably never going to replicate their proper over the top voice from the original so it's okay. He still said bro a lot and the dialogue was funny too but it would have been cool to try and replicate the old voice even if it did sound bizarre.

The content was funny too and how he talked about his marriage and wife.

Guizhang

I thought this was pretty decent too. Not an exact match but overall a decent job.

---

Overall I'd say the content and calls are amazing. The only major downside is Nozomi who seems to have completely changed voice and character. For someone who has always been treated as a big character with the romance angle it's a little disappointing to see the voice they went with. It really does seem like a different person.

I was a bit irritated by Nozomi‘s voice as well (and that Ryo now called her Harasaki like in the original) but I actually liked the really awkward conversation and found it quite realistic. They already had an awkward goodbye in the first game and they haven‘t heard from each other since so it is not that unusual that they have grown apart a bit and didn‘t really know what to say.

I agree with your impressions on the other characters, most of the conversations were interesting and a bit nostalgic but they could have sticked closer to the original voice actors.

I was a bit irritated by Nozomi‘s voice as well (and that Ryo now called her Harasaki like in the original) but I actually liked the really awkward conversation and found it quite realistic. They already had an awkward goodbye in the first game and they haven‘t heard from each other since so it is not that unusual that they have grown apart a bit and didn‘t really know what to say.

I agree with your impressions on the other characters, most of the conversations were interesting and a bit nostalgic but they could have sticked closer to the original voice actors.

Yeah, regardless of the voice I will say the content of the phone calls was amazing across the board. The topics Nozomi and Ryo discussed was definitely fitting and I did appreciate the awkwardness, but it was really only Nozomi I found where her personality was very different compared to the others for the most part.

question didn't need to use the kickstaerter world telecom code to get the phone convos?? how did u get your code to work

There are phone cards in the game that you buy to make phone calls. One phone card = one phone call. I believe the backer phone code just gives you unique conversations and unlimited calls to make those conversations.

There are phone cards in the game that you buy to make phone calls. One phone card = one phone call. I believe the backer phone code just gives you unique conversations and unlimited calls to make those conversations.
Oh that’s right nice !

Back