Photo of Father

I'm new here, so not sure if this has been posted before, but....

The photo that Ryo finds in the Hazuki basement, does anyone else believe that the other man is Sunming Zhao? The photo was taken in Bailu Village, and Iwao and Zhao were both known to have trained there together.

Thoughts?

It's definitely a possibility that people have considered. If it is indeed Sunming Zhao, it's interesting to note how happy they are together and they obviously have affection for each other. With that in mind, do we believe Lan Di's accusation that Iwao Hazuki killed Sunming Zhao? Is Lan Di lying, or mistaken? Or is it the truth, and if Iwao did kill him, did they have a falling out? Was there an accident? Was Iwao somehow coerced into doing it? And what is Sunming Zhao's relationship to Lan Di? His father? His mentor? His boss?

Sunming Zhao was Lan Di's father, as was confirmed by Yuanda Zhu. My big question is how did Sunming Zhao die? Was he really killed by Iwao? If so, did it have something to do with the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors? Zhu recognized the Phoenix mirror as the same mirror that was once owned by Sunming Zhao. So was Iwao forced to kill Sunming Zhao over a dispute over the mirrors? And have Iwao and Lan Di met before? When Lan Di mentions Sunming Zhao in the Hazuki dojo, Iwao's response makes one believe that he recognizes Lan Di. "It can't be....you!" Hopefully Shenmue III will reveal more of this mystery.

That very question was brought up to Yu in one of the Shenmue Master interviews. He kind of nods his head during the question when the man is theorized to be Sunming Zhao, but all he says is that we will find out later.

It's almost implied as such within the story.

It would seem odd that Iwao would have a photo of someone other than Sunming. Almost like it is assumed the player would make the link after speaking to Yuanda Zhu in 2, who reveals what we know. They look like training partners rather than master and student.

Agreed. But you never know...could be anyone. We know it is in Bailu Village, but it could be a master they both trianed with there. I personally think it is Sunming, but I guess there is always a chance it isn't.

This is why the Shenmue story fascinates me so much. So many questions!

More importantly, who's the third person that took the picture?

Back