Pix n Love artbook scans?

Please delete this if it's a) been posted elsewhere or b) against the rules!

I backed the game on kickstarter to the tune of whatever the signed collector's edition was. I'm happy I did and I love the game.

Buuuut, that pixnlove art book looks a million times better than the artbook we got as backers and I'm a but jealous of whoever got their hands on one. Are there any scans about?

I'm seriously looking at the £150+ Amazon resellers. It looks really nice, I wish I hadn't slept in on the day it went up for pre-order :hmm:

I figured I already spent a lot of cash on the Kickstarter and the other collectors edition for a pal of mine. Kind of regret it now!

Buuuut, that pixnlove art book looks a million times better than the artbook we got as backers and I'm a but jealous of whoever got their hands on one. Are there any scans about?
The digital one? That one was really lazy and was just a bunch of early screenshots. Has anyone seen the physical one that's supposed to be sent to us?

I tried to order one of these pixnlove ones but it didn't work out. Because I already had 4 copies coming to me, I didn't really make much effort to make it work. I'll admit I'd like to have that book too. Have they been shipped out yet? I've never seen one on social media or anything.

The digital one? That one was really lazy and was just a bunch of early screenshots. Has anyone seen the physical one that's supposed to be sent to us?

I tried to order one of these pixnlove ones but it didn't work out. Because I already had 4 copies coming to me, I didn't really make much effort to make it work. I'll admit I'd like to have that book too. Have they been shipped out yet? I've never seen one on social media or anything.
None as yet. I think they're due in July.

I'm seriously looking at the £150+ Amazon resellers. It looks really nice, I wish I hadn't slept in on the day it went up for pre-order :hmm:
I always have a eBay tab open for Shenmue stuff that I refresh every so often and I saw a brand new one go up on eBay the other day for ~£80. I'll see if I can find the listing. Gimme a min.

Edit: Tis still live. He appears to be selling a load of Limited Run stuff along with a few Pix N Love games. Has the Samurai Shodown Shockbox one for £180, so surprised to see that Shenmue III is up for only £80.

I always have a eBay tab open for Shenmue stuff that I refresh every so often and I saw a brand new one go up on eBay the other day for ~£80. I'll see if I can find the listing. Gimme a min.

Edit: Tis still live. He appears to be selling a load of Limited Run stuff along with a few Pix N Love games. Has the Samurai Shodown Shockbox one for £180, so surprised to see that Shenmue III is up for only £80.
Nice! Thank you very much. Now I just hope nobody buys it between now and payday o_O

Am I really the only one who thinks the backer artbook looks more appealing? I doubt very much that the physical backer artbook will have the same paper/cover/binding quality that the Pix n Love one does, and I don't think the Pix n Love artbook looks bad at all, but the content of it is pretty uninteresting to me. Outside of the NPC design artwork (most of which I don't recognize at all) I don't really see the appeal. I think I recognize the old couple from the Project Berkley video, but a lot of those designs seem like they were redrawn by a new artist, or something. They look much more like Disney characters to me, than the older designs. Also the layout work is fine, but feels sort of basic, and they crammed all of the scenery images into a few pages, instead of dedicating a page or two to each one. I mean, really, it's like 80% NPC concept art.

I wouldn't really fault anyone for paying an arm and a leg for this, but I don't agree that it's better than the backer artbook. I think the backer artbook looks much nicer from the content selection, flow, and layout design perspectives.

I really wish that white outfit for Shenhua was also in the game though.

Edit: Technically, it's ~37% concept artwork (by page).

Last edited:
I wouldn't really fault anyone for paying an arm and a leg for this, but I don't agree that it's better than the backer artbook. I think the backer artbook looks much nicer from the content selection, flow, and layout design perspectives.
Where have you seen the backer artbook?

I assumed it was the same as the digital one just in a physical format.

- Digital artbook filled with unreleased illustrations

- Printed artbook curated by Yu Suzuki

I checked the kickstarter page. I guess it doesn't say they are different, but they do have different descriptions, but are pretty vague... I just assumed they'd be different. That is disappointing.

I checked the kickstarter page. I guess it doesn't say they are different, but they do have different descriptions, but are pretty vague... I just assumed they'd be different. That is disappointing.
I could be shooting well wide of the mark in my assumption that both are the same. Maybe they won't be but we will find out soon enough :)

Really cool the idea of Chai with different outfits, seems like the original idea was to make him a nuissance that could appear anywhere in a more comical tone.

I don't agree the art in the Pix'n'love book looks basic. The drawing are amazing, especially the colors and the body consistency. It's just that Kenji is in another league. But like the other starred names, Kenji didn't work for Shenmue III or in very little extent.

It's a pity that the work of the new artist didn't translate so well in 3D. There was room to do much better if the Indian studio was involved earlier but circumstances do everything.

I was assuming they would be the same, like spud. I didn't remember the descriptions for these being different. If we actually get something different from the digital artbook in physical form, then I guess I'll have to get something made for myself. I'd want the digital artbook physically also.

I don't agree the art in the Pix'n'love book looks basic. The drawing are amazing, especially the colors and the body consistency. It's just that Kenji is in another league. But like the other starred names, Kenji didn't work for Shenmue III or in very little extent.
I do think it sucks that Miyawaki didn't really lend his services to Shenmue III, but I didn't mean to say that the quality of the illustrations in the Pix n Love artbook were poor or anything. I think they look fine, it's just that the style of them isn't that interesting to me, and it feels like the main focus of the artbook. If there were actually accounts from production staff, or stories to go along with them, that would be different. It seems like kind of a haphazard mishmash of concept art to me, though. I would think that would be fine for maybe eight pages or so. Not 38 pages.

So its confirmed, the physical book is the the same as the digital version:

Screenshot_20200618-062448_Chrome.jpg

Where did you get those full body artworks?
Here (7:07):

and here (7:59):

I came to a startling realization after glancing through the clothing pages for Ryo in this artbook: They messed up one of the prizes on the Big Merry Cruise. Maybe it wasn't everyone, though. For me, the kenpogi that Ryo wore to the restaurant in the story DLC was the same one that I won as the last kenpogi from the cruise ship prize wheel. I'm assuming it was the same for everyone else, but did anyone not get a duplicate of the story DLC kenpogi after winning all of the Big Merry Cruise kenpogi?

Anyway, the kenpogi page in the Pix 'n' Love artbook shows 13 different styles. I'm almost positive I have every style of kenpogi that exists in the game (including the preorder one), and I only have 12. Does anyone have the deep purple one shown second from the left in the top row (4:25):

Back