Post Your Personal Top 10 Gaming lists!

Alright this is going to be a strange thread, but a fun one, I made a thread like this a few years back on another forum and it got really popular, so I thought I would try posting it here.

Basically all you need to do is pick a subject in gaming and make your own top 10 list

Examples

Rusted Golds Top 10 Xbox Games

10. ???? This spot is always changing as my collection grows.
9. Jet Set Radio Future
8. Phantom Crash
7. Halo 2
6. Toe Jam and Earl 3
5. Whip Lash
4. My stack of Xbox Demo discs
3. Dead or Alive 3
2. Halo Combat Evolevd
1. Shenmue II

top 5 lists are also okay

Rusted Golds top 5 Street Fighter games
5. Street Fighter II Turbo
4. Street Fighter Alpha 3
3. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Street Fighter Alpha 2
1. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike!

So what are you waiting for post your personal gaming lists!​

Honorable Mentions:

Grand Theft Auto: VIce City
Uncharted 2
The Last Guardian
Fire Pro Wrestling D
Crazy Taxi
Doom
Sonic 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Donkey Kong Country
Rock Band / Guitar Hero
WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain
God of War (the original PS2 game)
Resident Evil 4
Daytona USA
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat
Streets of Rage

1.) Shadow of the Colossus -- I know this is a Shenmue board and you may be expecting it to be Shenmue, but no, sorry, it isn't. Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all time. Bar none. I adore everything about this game. I adore the soundtrack (it's some of Kow Otani's best work to date.) The story moved me to tears the first time I played it, followed by gut punched silence during the closing credits. Everytime I go back to it, I'm just as moved as I was the first time. This game really got to me. It's devastatingly bittersweet and a true masterpiece in gaming.

2.) Virtua Fighter 2 -- I have played Virtua Fighter 2 far more than I care to admit. I absolutely adore this game. Granted, Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 are far better games and more well rounded in mechanics. But there is something about the challenge of Virtua Fighter 2 that keeps me coming back for more. It's easy to pick up but difficult to truly master. But so damn rewarding once you do master it. Great game, one of Yu Suzuki's finest works...which leads us to.

3.) Shenmue 1 and 2 -- Take the Virtua Fighter engine and place it into an open world that tells a grand story of revenge while simultaneously focusing on the mundane nature of life. On paper, this shouldn't work...but holy crap, did it work or did it work? Even though I placed Virtua Fighter over Shenmue, I would still say Shenmue 1 and 2 are both Yu Suzuki's masterpieces. The culmination of his entire career rolled into two games and both are pure genius.

What always got me most about Shenmue was the epic scale of it. The fact that the game takes us from the sleepy town of Yokosuka where everyone knows your name. To the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. To the claustrophobic and shady walled in city of Kowloon. To the quiet rural village of Bailu. It's a real journey that you don't really see in many games. It's epic in a way that few games (if any) strive to be.

I don't need to preach to the choir. We all know why we love this game and we all have our reasons. But mine was always the epic scale of it. It's a really ambitious game that wants to take its players on an epic martial arts journey throughout both Japan and China. And there are just so few games that strive for that. I think that's what makes Shenmue so unique for me. That and I just really love the way the game feels. I love spending time in its world. I love the fact that the world moves on without you. That you can miss so many little things just because you weren't in the right place at the right time.

It really strives to present a living breathing world where you are just apart of it. Unlike so many other games where you're the central focus of the world. Here, it almost strives to convince you that the world your in doesn't revolve around your character and it's still a persistent world that is lived in. I really loved that about Shenmue and I think it was ambitious as all hell.

For that reason, it is Yu Suzuki's masterpiece. Bring on Shenmue III

4.) Persona 4 -- I have played through this 70 to 100 hour game no less than 5 times. That's saying a lot considering this is not a short game. But it is an amazing game through and through. It's the characters that did it for me. I really love these characters. So much so that I was actually sad when I first finished the game and realized I had to leave them behind. I didn't want to leave these people behind. I grew really attached to this group of kids. I really emotionally invested in their stories (S Links). I was genuinely bummed to leave these characters behind. That's saying something. Also the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant. Persona 5 and Persona 3 may have better stories. But the characters of Persona 4 really stuck with me.

5.) Yakuza 0 -- For a long time, I would have said Yakuza 2 (or maybe Yakuza 3) was my favorite of the series. Then along came Yakuza 0 and bumped it way down the list. The origins of both Kiryu and (more importantly) Majima are two of the best stories this franchise has ever told. Also I just really like the charm of seeing Kamurocho in the 80's. It was kind of a nice shakeup to get a period piece (well a period piece that wasn't the Samurai games, I mean). The sub stories are some of the best written in the entire franchise. I never once got bored completing a single one of them and I never once felt there was filler for the sake of filler. I thought every single sub story was so well written. The fighting mechanics are some of the best in the series with the mixup of styles. Yeah, I can't say enough good things about Yakuza 0. In my opinion, it's the best of the Yakuza franchise.

6.) Final Fantasy VIII -- Final Fantasy VIII was my Final Fantasy VII moment. I never played Final Fantasy VII when it first released and my first exposure to Final Fantasy was through VIII. Sorry FFVII fans but I think VIII is the best of the original PlayStation trilogy. I know, I know. It's not a popular sentiment as Final Fantasy VIII is usually looked upon as the red haired step child. But I really love this game. I love the fact that this game adapts to the way that you want to play it. Want the challenge of grinding? Go right ahead. Want to beat the game without grinding? You can do that. Want to exploit the Junction system for all it's worth? You can do that too. The more I've played that game, the more I realize it truly adapts to your style of play.

Also, at the time, the aloof loner Squall really appealed to me. I think it was the whole keeping people at bay for fear of getting hurt or abandoned that spoke to me the most at the time. I was a lot like that as a teen, I kept everyone at bay and didn't let people in (maybe that's why Ryo from Shenmue also kind of appealed to me a little). I was touched by the love story between him and Rinoa. Rinoa can be ditzy but there is a charm to Rinoa that won me over. She means well but is ultimately naive.

I even like the fan theory that Squall actually dies in this game at the end of the first disc and the rest of the game is just a bizarre Enter the Void like post death journey through the psyche of a dying mind. Even though I don't think that theory is cannon, I still really like it and it does kind of work.

But yeah, I love Final Fantasy VIII. This and Shenmue were the two games that occupied both my PlayStation and Dreamcast back at release. Had a lot of great times with this game and I still find myself going back to it...my last run through was just last year. Bring on the hatred but I think FF VIII is the best of the PSX FInal Fantasy trilogy.

7.) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 / Jet Set Radio -- Oh man, I couldn't decide between these two. So screw it, we're going for a tied result. I love both of these games. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 is straight up one of the most addictive games I ever played. I love games that put an emphasis on getting high scores and one of my favorite things to do in THPS3 was to memorize the layout of each level and just go to town racking up massive scores by stringing together tricks. If you knew what you were doing, you could score in the millions on each level. Not to mention the game is Tony Hawk perfected. Before it went goofy and trying to top itself year in and year out for every annual release, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 was the game that completed the bare basics of the trick system. THPS2 introduced the manual and THPS3 went the final step and introduced the revert. After that there really wasn't much more they could do. It felt perfected.

But yeah, THPS3 is just an insanely fun game to play. It's got a great soundtrack. It still looks pretty good to this day. I still find myself going back to it from time to time. And it's still just as fun to play now as it was back then.

As for Jet Set Radio. It's fitting to tie it in with THPS3. At the time of release, I was hugely into Tony Hawk and I actually really didn't like Jet Set Radio the first time I played it. I think at the time I was trying to play it more like a Tony Hawk game. I saw it as an extreme sports game and thought it should control the same as THPS.

That was a big mistake on my behalf. Cut forward a few years later and I went back and gave it another chance. And I actually learnt how to play it. And I came to realize it's not a Tony Hawk styled game at all. Rather, it's a platformer on roller blades. Once I figured out the short jump / long jump and how to chain together rails and wall rides, that's when I started to realize Jet Set is more like a platformer crossed with your typical Sega styled game. You still have to master the layout and master the quickest way to string everything together to get the best rankings. It just clicked and I started to really dig it and grow to love it. And I still love it to this day.

Fantastic soundtrack; awesome visual style and that typical Sega gameplay of just being fun to learn and master. Jet Set Radio from being a game that I disliked to being a game that I absolutely love to death. Even more so than the popular sequel Jet Set Radio Future (seriously, I prefer the first game over JSRF all the way)

8.) Resident Evil 2 -- The original PlayStation game. And I guess I would consider the remake too since it too is phenomenal in every way. Resident Evil 2 is hands down in my top 3 of PSone classics. It's a classic in my eyes. Again, a game that I have played far more times than I can count on both hands. And I can still go back to it in this day and age and still have a great time. Even with the tank controls, it holds up wonderfully well (or at least I think it does)

9.) Parappa the Rapper --
The game that gave me my love of Rhythm games. What a soundtrack too. One of the most catchy upbeat soundtracks you will ever hear in a game. I dare you to listen to Mooselini's Driving Rap and not have that beat stuck in your head for days on end. So upbeat, so incredibly charming, so, so, so good. Parappa always makes me happy.

10.) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater --
One image says it all for this game. And that image is as follows.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Well, I'll start with top 10 games in general, limiting to one game per series (almost):
  1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  2. Rollcage: Stage II
  3. After Burner Climax
  4. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
  5. BLiNX: The Time Sweeper
  6. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4 (still haven't played 5)
  7. Sonic Colours (I'm including a second Sonic game on the list because the two titles play very differently)
  8. Driver: San Francisco
  9. Lucky Dime Caper
  10. Chase HQ
With honourable mentions here.

That's the boring one out of the way, let's go for platform specifics. I'm not going to count a port of an older game to a newer console as part of that console, but I will count a port among consoles of the same era (so Klax counts on the Spectrum and Mega Drive, but not on the PS1 and beyond).

Top 10 ZX Spectrum games:
  1. Chase HQ
  2. Enduro Racer
  3. Elite
  4. Klax
  5. Magicland Dizzy
  6. Back 2 Skool
  7. Ant Attack
  8. Spindizzy
  9. Chaos
  10. Destructo
Top 5 Master System games:
  1. Lucky Dime Caper
  2. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
  3. OutRun
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
  5. Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Top 10 Mega Drive games:
  1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  2. Chase HQ
  3. After Burner II
  4. OutRunners
  5. Bonanza Bros.
  6. Bare Knuckle III
  7. Klax
  8. Space Harrier II
  9. Earthworm Jim (Special Edition on the CD if I can cheat a little)
  10. Road Rash II
Top 5 Dreamcast games:
  1. Shenmue
  2. Chu Chu Rocket
  3. Skies of Arcadia
  4. Puzzle Bobble 4
  5. Jet Set Radio
Top 5 PlayStation games:
  1. Rollcage: Stage II
  2. Driver
  3. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
  4. Rayman
  5. Battle Arena Toshinden 3
Top 5 Xbox games:
  1. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
  2. BLiNX: The Time Sweeper
  3. Jet Set Radio Future
  4. Shenmue II
  5. Kung Fu Chaos
Top 10 seventh-generation games (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii):
  1. After Burner Climax
  2. Sonic Colours
  3. Driver: San Francisco
  4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
  5. Score Rush
  6. Galaga Legions DX
  7. Child of Eden
  8. Rayman Legends
  9. Split/Second: Velocity
  10. Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds
Top ? eighth-generation games (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Switch):
  1. Sonic Mania
  2. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  3. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
?. Shenmue 3?

I haven't played enough games to meet my threshold on current-gen consoles - it seems the best ones are ports of older games. As always, feel free to ask "why" on any choices here, because there's far too much here to explain.

Top 20 Games of All Time
  1. Shenmue
  2. Shenmue 2
  3. Sonic Adventure
  4. NiGHTS Into Dreams
  5. Phantasy Star Online
  6. Panzer Dragoon Saga
  7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  8. Space Channel 5: Part 2
  9. Jet Set Radio Future
  10. Burning Rangers
  11. Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly
  12. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
  13. Sonic R
  14. Super Fantasy Zone
  15. Sonic CD
  16. Crazy Taxi
  17. Jet Set Radio
  18. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  19. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
  20. Toe Jam & Earl

Top 5 PS4
  1. Yakuza 6
  2. Persona 5
  3. Nier Automata
  4. Sonic Mania
  5. Shadow of the Colossus

Top 10 PSVR Games
  1. Beat Saber
  2. Tetris Effect
  3. Astro Bot
  4. Rez Infinite
  5. Thumper
  6. Until Dawn Rush of Blood
  7. Superhot VR
  8. Resident Evil 7
  9. Transference
  10. Driveclub VR

As for the others....I won't go into write ups for these but I'll list of some others. This is simply for the systems I have owned or did own as a kid.

Top 5 Mega Drive Games
  1. Sonic 2
  2. Streets of Rage 2
  3. NBA Jam
  4. The Revenge of Shinobi
  5. Mortal Kombat II
Top 5 PlayStation Games
  1. Final Fantasy VIII
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Metal Gear Solid
  4. Parappa the Rapper
  5. Crash Bandicoot 2: The Wrath of Cortex
Top 5 Sega Saturn Games
  1. Virtua Fighter 2
  2. Sega Rally
  3. Panzer Dragoon Saga
  4. Shining Force III
  5. Guardian Heroes
Top 5 Sega Dreamcast Games
  1. Shenmue / Shenmue II
  2. Crazy Taxi
  3. Jet Set Radio
  4. Power Stone 2
  5. Skies of Arcadia
Top 10 PlayStation 2 Games
  1. Shadow of the Colossus
  2. Persona 4
  3. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
  4. God of War
  5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  6. Grand Theft Auto III
  7. WWE Smackdown Here Comes the Pain
  8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  9. Burnout 3 Takedown
  10. Silent Hill 2
Top 5 Gamecube Games
  1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Mario Kart Double Dash
  3. Super Smash Bros Melee
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
  5. Metal Gear Solid; The Twin Snakes
Top 5 Xbox Games
  1. Project Gotham Racing 2
  2. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  3. Jet Set Radio Future
  4. Oddworld Strangers Wrath
  5. Shenmue II
Top 10 PlayStation 3 Games
  1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (I stand by it)
  3. Burnout Paradise
  4. God of War III
  5. inFamous
  6. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
  7. Catherine
  8. Yakuza 3
  9. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  10. Dead Space 2
Top 5 PlayStation Portable Games
  1. Lumines
  2. Persona 3: Portable
  3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
  4. Patapon
  5. Rock Band Unplugged
Top 5 Wii Games:
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Wii Sports (yes, really)
  3. House of the Dead: Overkill
  4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  5. Super Paper Mario
Top 5 Nintendo DS Games
  1. Elite Beat Agents
  2. New Super Mario Bros
  3. Final Fantasy III
  4. The World Ends With You
  5. Mario Kart DS
Top 5 PlayStation Vita Games
  1. Persona 4 Golden
  2. Killzone Mercenary
  3. Hatsune Miku Project Diva F
  4. Hotline Miami
  5. Freedom Wars
Top 10 PlayStation 4 Games (so far)
  1. The Last Guardian
  2. Persona 5
  3. Yakuza 0 / Yakuza 6
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Until Dawn
  6. Doom
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn
  8. Spider-man
  9. Resident Evil 2 (REmake)
  10. Grand Theft Auto V

Last edited:
In no particular order:

1. Shenmue 2
  2. Animal Crossing New Leaf
  3. Pokémon Sun/Moon
  4. Kingdom Hearts 2
  5. Parappa the Rapper
  6. Rival Schools: United By Fate
  7. Minecraft
  8. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  9. Jeopardy (for the N64)
  10. Skyrim

Top 5 Xbox games:

Kung Fu Chaos

I loved that game when I was a kid a friend had it, and one of my first times playing Xbox was at his house, Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Crimson Sea, and a ton of Kung-Fu Chaos, we started it at 8PM and kept going till like 4AM.

I got it a few years back at a local game store. So I really need to play it again to see how well it holds up :)

Also I should look into getting a 4th Xbox some time, not because I'm crazy about Xbox, but only because Microsoft really does have knack of not making reliable consoles. My original SNES from when I was 9 still works perfectly as well as my Playstation, 64, GameCube, PS2, NES, and so on.

but my Xbox and 360 nah, I'm on the my 3rd one for each system and they only work when the stars align just right. But hot dang the original Xbox is easily one of my favorite consoles to collect for!

I'm not good at doing favorites or anything so I can't rank anything, I'll just list ten games I love lmfao:
-Super Mario Bros.
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Shenmue
-Shenmue 2
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-Pirates! Gold
-Skyrim
-Pokemon Generation 1

not in order but..

1. shenmue 1
  2. shenmue 2
  3. mgs1
  4. mgs2
  5. mgs 3
  6. mgs4
  7. halo 1
  8. battlefield 2 (pc) online multiplayer.
  9. witcher 3
  10. resident evil 2 ( original - ps1)
+ if i could have one more, i would say resident evil 3 (ps1)

like most people here I played a lot of games, above is a list of games I have very fond memories of.
personally I like story driven games, which almost could be movies. thinking back, some of The enjoyment was waiting for the next sequel in a game.. Unlike today a lot of games in the past would live up to their hype.

I would like to add battlefield 2 Was amazing back in the day, unlike modern online multiplayer first person shooters today, people would help each other accomplish a mission + you would feel like a ninja going behind enemy lines to capture a flag lol

Purposely steering clear of Shenmue, simply because of the obvious forum bias haha.

Top Five
Ico: Yes, might seem preposterous versus more universally acclaimed sequel. Sure, Colossus is more epic, sure, but I've never been afraid to appreciate shorter and smaller for the sake of the artful expression. Ico, for me, is much more a subtle and beautiful piece of art than Shadow of the Colossus (not to take anything away from SotC, whatsoever)

Syberia: Simply put, the atmosphere. Doesn't hurt to be fascinating with satisfying, challenging puzzles and great scenic frames.

Metal Gear Solid...(Tough call, as tough as Shenmue vs Shenmue II)... Snake Eater: All of the original trilogy and first duology are fantastic gameplay and story. The Cold War, especially 1960s, are my personal history nerdgasm. Never been more hyped for a game than MGS3 (Well, until Shenmue III. Shadow Colossus and Last Guardian was about on par, too).

Resident Evil Code Veronica. Almost overplayed during first decade of release, but intentionally hadn't played in about a decade since, and was fresh upon return. Very tough choice between 0/2/CV. Besides DC bias, give Veronica the edge based on utter creepy mood from both the the plot, files and music.

Yakuza 2. Huge bias for 6th gen, despite PS2s shitty video output (if not fortunate enough to be playing on PS3). There's a give and take between original and sequel. Main antagonist wasn't as cool or heartfelt, but the backstory stringing their lives together on a collision course was a bit more genuine for me. Coin toss between the first, second or fourth game. Still need to play Zero and Y6, but nevertheless...

Five Honorable mentions
Jet Set Radio, Evil Twin (both stunning visuals and feel/look/identity), Mega Man Legends 2 (Thinking about a new revival hashtag on September 3, to begin #SaveMML3. Terrible turn of events for fans :/), Phantasy Star Online and Omikron.

Expectant usurpers: Killer7, Okami (finally finishing both after barely scratching surface way back in 2006 on GC/PS2). Same goes for Grim Fandango, which I'd consider at least an honorable mention, but my old PC disc warped before I finished (feels odd if placed amongst completed games), though I doubt I'll suddenly hate the game after fully beating here soon...

Last edited:
Top 10 Default Games (simple ones that get packaged into operating systems, phones, etc.)

10) Chess​
9) Pinball​
8) Memory/Concentration​
7) Pong​
6) Tetris​
5) Mahjong​
4) Solitaire​
3) Breakout​
2) Snake​
1) Minesweeper​

You callin Alex Kidd a simple phone game???

Nah, devices and platforms that aren’t game-specific. The nature of the game should’ve given that one away.

And my built-in MS game was Hang-On.

I already did a top 10 list, but here is one I did of PlayStation Consoles:

PlayStation 1:
Crash Team Racing
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Hogs of War
Metal Gear Solid
Ridge Racer Type 4
Silent Hill
Spyro 2
Tekken 3

PlayStation 2:
The Bouncer
Burnout 3
Fahrenheit
Final Fantasy X
Jak & Daxter
Kingdom Hearts II
Metal Gear Solid 2
Shadow of Memories
Silent Hill 2
Soul Calibur II

PlayStation 3:
Catherine
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Heavy Rain
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Metal Gear Solid 4
Siren Blood Curse
NieR
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed

PlayStation 4:
Alien Isolation
Dragon's Crown Pro
Kingdom hearts III
The Last Gaurdian
Life Is Strange
NieR:Automata
Resident Evil VII
Rocket League
Until Dawn
Yakuza 0

PSP/Vita:
Gravity Rush (Though the PS4 Version is my preferred way to play)
FF7: Crisis Core
Daxter
FF Dissidia 2
Final Fantasy IV complete Edition
God of War: Ghost of Sparda (Though the PS3 Version is my preferred way to play)
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (Though the PS4 Version is my preferred way to play)
MGS: Peace Walker (Though the PS3 Version is my preferred way to play)
Star Ocean 1
Tekken Dark Resurrection

I found the PS2 Selection hardest to narrow down by far! As for the PS3 I didn't struggle much & as I am not a portable gamer, I struggled to really even come up with 10 titles :p

Last edited:
  1. Shenmue 1 & 2 (& 3?)
  2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  4. Mass Effect 2
  5. Resident Evil 4
  6. Star Wars: Jedi Academy
  7. Tomb Raider: Legend
  8. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  9. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  10. Sonic Adventure 2

Top 5 Vegetables in Games:

5. Man in a carrot suit in ToeJam & Earl

4. Chop Chop Master Onion in Parappa the Rapper

3. Mushroom in Super Mario Bros

2. Mr X in Streets of Rage 3

1. A po-tay-to in Portal 2

Top 5 Vegetables in Games:

5. Man in a carrot suit in ToeJam & Earl

4. Chop Chop Master Onion in Parappa the Rapper

3. Mushroom in Super Mario Bros

2. Mr X in Streets of Rage 3

1. A po-tay-to in Portal 2
No Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom?

Back