Pro & Cons of Shenmue III based on Demo.

Dudes, I read one comment that was criticising the lack of traditional loading screens between areas.

Despite the fact that loading screens in open worlds have been dead as dead can be for years on end.

honestly, to expect that level of consistency boggles the mind :D
thats what i meant in this whole conversation. Some dudes are stuck in the past. So much so that they miss the loading screens. Oh God.

Mind you that comment was else where. It wasn’t here. It was in a live stream from memory. But yeah, to expect that level of consistency is just not feasible in any way.

but yeah this whole in game marker thing is easily fixable and hopefully will be an option in final code.

I wonder why they removed throw moves.
They did motion caption in their own office due to low budget might been the reason.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1530741?lang=it

Before they had an entire room with special equipment.

But then again we are 20 years more advanced...
SEGA has denied him anything that he made for Virtua fighter. Play Virtua fighter 3 man. Play as different chars. All his throws come from the various chars in there. Already captured. Polygons added. Now imagine 20 years later. Not making an arcade fighter, where THAT's all it is, but a huge RPG with some elements in it. Try redoing years worth of work from multiple games in a very short time with a small team, and a laughable budget. That's what got advanced in 20 years thanks to SEGA, no one else. If he got 14 million in funding from kickstarter, I bet you he'd spend on faces, and or more areas and useless little stuff, (useless to me, I get that) as it is, he did very well. Let it sell well. Let him prove to Sony, Deep Silver and yes Epic games store he can make better games than so many others in 2019. Cause that demo is the best efing game I've played. This includes AC Odyssey, Witcher 2 the lesbomancy edition, and Wither 3 more immorality and perversion, not too much of actual combat game play. Not too much. Not even the efing stolen QTE's straight out of Shenmue in Witcher 2 for a sub par fighting tournament. Anything current pales in comparison I'm so sorry to say. In the game play department. Not the eye candy department. At least Skyrim polished his work for jobs schedules and day/night cycles. Sure the fighting was mostly 1 move with a sword, or magic, or straight forward, very nicely made first person shooter with a bow. With a bow Skyrim was IT. Still a shooter is a shooter. Shenmue is Shenmue. That's my opinion.

I know. but the same can be said about some other changes like the combat and other stuff.

"Take those gad damn 1999 glasses of your face for God sake!" hahaha ^^

you know what impressed me the most in terms of the little details that they did keep?

the day to night transition. I thought for sure that they wouldn’t do the day to night 7pm transistion. Colour me shocked that they actually included it.

That was the moment it truly sank in for me that I am actually playing Shenmue III and it is still very much Shenmue. Even with the small changes, it’s still Shenmue to its core.

i really didn’t expect the day to night transition. considering every open world game does day night transitions, i didn’t think they’d add it this time.

But they did. And I’m actually really glad they did. :D it was one of the little touches that reminded me “this is Shenmue! They actually nailed it!”

I can see you really like that litle cutscene! I like it to. Really immerses you in even more ! ;)

The sky is beatifull dude. The game is beaifull during the day but at night.... oh boy. Never though it would look THIS GOOD!

also, the moon and the clouds are "real" objects hahaa ;)

I know. but the same can be said about some other changes like the combat and other stuff.

"Take those gad damn 1999 glasses of your face for God sake!" hahaha ^^

Some things had to disappear because of technology reasons:
Loading screens don't make sense anymore. Those are a nostalgia thing. But putting them is a drawback to the open world design.

When it comes to combat though ? Throws aren't a "nostalgia goggles" thing. The reason they're not here is because of time and money. It's not a willingful change nor one that makes the game better.
Loading screens would honestly make the game worse. Can we say throws would do the same ? Definitely not. To the point Yu Suzuki hopes to implement them in the next one.

Which is why lumping criticism of every change as "nostalgia goggles, it's not 1999 anymore" is a wrong way to shut criticism.

Some things had to disappear because of technology reasons:
Loading screens don't make sense anymore. Those are a nostalgia thing. But putting them is a drawback to the open world design.

When it comes to combat though ? Throws aren't a "nostalgia goggles" thing. The reason they're not here is because of time and money. It's not a willingful change nor one that makes the game better.
Loading screens would honestly make the game worse. Can we say throws would do the same ? Definitely not. To the point Yu Suzuki hopes to implement them in the next one.

Which is why lumping criticism of every change as "nostalgia goggles, it's not 1999 anymore" is a wrong way to shut criticism.
The mere fact that this is not the VF engine any more is enough to mek some people avid to criticise.
That alone is 1999 glasses, cause this combat can indeed be fun!!
However, it wount be fun if in your mind all you see is the lack of vf physics ans combos.

1999 glasses.

Not saying this combat is better (in opinion it can be tho) But to say its bad or lame is way redundant.

1999 gallses.

Also, i'm not "shuting" nothing bro.

The mere fact that this is not the VF engine any more is enough to mek some people avid to criticise.
That alone is 1999 glasses, cause this combat can indeed be fun!!
However, it wount be fun if in your mind all you see is the lack of vf physics ans combos.

1999 glasses.

Not saying this combat is better (in opinion it can be tho) But to say its bad or lame is way redundant.

1999 gallses.

Also, i'm not "shuting" nothing bro.

So right now Yu Suzuki is wearing 1999 glasses because he wants the throw system to be back.

This is exactly shutting criticism since you're saying right here "It's not VF's engine so it's enough to make people avoid criticism". Throws in games doesn't only exist with VF's engine you know.

So right now Yu Suzuki is wearing 1999 glasses because he wants the throw system to be back.
Dude, even if the throw moves are back, the fighhting will never be the same as vf.
Just cause he wants them back doesn't mean he wants the combat exactly the same. He already stated many times he wants a different combat system.

1999 glasses means crying over the no loading screens, crying over the change in combat, crying over the change in shenhua's appearance, crying over her voice, crying over the no SEGA toys in the game, crying over the no hang on and space harrier that people played 1238494745929 times allready.... Those are the 1999 video game glasses for you.
Like I said many times now. We should apreciate this game for what it IS.

Dude, even if the throw moves are back, the fighhting will never be the same as vf.
Just cause he wants them back doesn't mean he wants the combat exactly the same. He already stated many times he wants a different combat system.

1999 glasses means crying over the no loading screens, crying over the change in combat, crying over the change in shenhua's appearance, crying over her voice, crying over the no SEGA toys in the game, crying over the no hang on and space harrier that people played 1238494745929 times allready.... Those are the 1999 video game glasses for you.
Like I said many times now. We should apreciate this game for what it IS.

We can appreciate the game for what it is and still raise concerns. That's the point of feedbacks.

Does it mean for instance, I should say nothing about the title screen ? It's perfect, nothing has to be improved and it was the right choice ?

Your entire point is "hey there's nothing wrong. No negatives. If there are, it's nostalgia goggles at play !"

Then again, people dont ask for everything to be the same. Just not to be worse. If you cant do better, do the same, not worse.

Look to be fair, I don't think Joel is saying all criticism is invalid. But I get what he is saying in most regards. I don't think he is trying to shut down criticism at all. But that's just my two cents from seeing this play out.

Anyways, you both make decent points...just my take from the outside perspective. (not that anyone asked for it or needed it)

Anyways, I'll go back to uploading my youtube video of Lucky Hit (we're gonna try to clean out all Lucky Hit vendors...and the first part is a doozy)

Look to be fair, I don't think Joel is saying all criticism is invalid. But I get what he is saying in most regards. I don't think he is trying to shut down criticism at all. But that's just my two cents from seeing this play out.

Anyways, you both make decent points...just my take from the outside perspective. (not that anyone asked for it or needed it)

Anyways, I'll go back to uploading my youtube video of Lucky Hit (we're gonna try to clean out all Lucky Hit vendors...and the first part is a doozy)
yeah :)

Hey! Be sure to share your upload here ^^

Yes some change is good we're not in the late 90's early 2000's anymore things have changed. It can still be uniquely Shenmue even with modernizations. I don't get why any of these UI changes are even slightly controversial. Fine make an option to turn them off if It ends the bitching than good.

Yes some change is good we're not in the late 90's early 2000's anymore things have changed. It can still be uniquely Shenmue even with modernizations. I don't get why any of these UI changes are even slightly controversial. Fine make an option to turn them off if It ends the bitching than good.

It's funny that you talk about modernisation because modern games mostly moved toward making those things optionnal this generation. In fact, the new trend is to move toward simplistic UI that often auto hide when not in use. So what you call "90s" for Shenmue I and II is actually modern. :)

After playing in the temple again and again and again,the new system in growing on me, im not a fan of " let's use the same system of the first two" that combat system have flaws nowadays (camera angle,hit detection and multiple opponents fights),the new one is less technical but with the right amount of training it can become good,they need to pay attention in the hit detection, is a giant flaws, and the "dash" that ryu does when you double tap a direction with analog need to be fixed as well

I can´t find a option to change run asign to first view like dreamcast options, i prefer left trigger to run, but also is great that i can run and change direction with right stick, it would be nice if you could walk if you press a little

This is exactly shutting criticism since you're saying right here "It's not VF's engine so it's enough to make people avoid criticism". Throws in games doesn't only exist with VF's engine you know.
He needs to make them counters after blocks. Sure he still has to recapture them, but it'd fit into the current system. I do like the system itself minus the throws.

The feel of it is shenmue. But the mechanics are diffrent camera is different combat is diferent and many other things are different. The shenmue feel for me is mostly the ost and the dialougue, the way ryo speaks as well as the setting (at least for me).

I think differences are totally fine. And not only that. They are needed. We've been playing shenmue 1 and 2 half of our lives. This game is, and should be an evolution. And in order to evolve, things have to change ands risks have to be takken.

I can accept change and can get used to it.
Even things like lacking Sega capsules can be resolved with mods.

Shenmue II was an evolved game form Shenmue I it added a lot of new features, like part-time jobs, multiple new combat moves, street fights to earn move, paw shops to make money selling capsule toys collections.
But you know what they didn't Remove Anything from Shenmue I it was an upgrade, with some changes in combat yes, combat became faster and more nimble.

But Shenmue III was a Downgrade/Devolved version of Shenmue II. Yes they added new things which some are cool like collecting herbs and changing clothes.
But they Removed a LOT of stuff that was part of the first 2 games.
- Removed Hundreds of capsule toys.
- Removes all Throw Moves
- Removed all Counter moves, now you hit instead of performing a really cool animation.
- Remember the move that the old man taught you in the park? Gone.
- Remember the move that the old blind man taught you in Kowloon? Gone.
- Removed all Moves taught by Master Chen and Gui Zhang with for me were part of the main story Gone.
- Removed the move that Xiu Ying taught you before you left to Gui Ling Demon Triangle? Gone
- Removed the After imagine that give the illusion of being inhumanly fast.
These are not "changes" or improvements to make the game better it ruins the experiences for a completionist like myself.
I completed both games 100% with all moves and all capsule toys. Mastered most moves.

I really love Shenmue a lot but removing content that was part of the game is not evolving. It's painful

I get not possible due to budget but I think they wasted budget of stuff that didn't matter.
Mini-games for me seems like a waste of time and I would not mind if they were removed. Just leave few arcade machines and that is it. I don't care about lucky hit or "Dice" what is exciting about that? The only cool thing about lucky hit was part-time job but that lost the interesting effect fast.

Back