Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Ragdoll is such a broad term. It could be as simple as enemies "ragdoll" on death or when knocked over.
It also seemed like YS was calling ragdoll at IK (when talking about hitting enemies that were far away).

I hope they fix the controller issues with EGS, that might make me play it first on ps4.

I think I might be the only weirdo that was looking forward to playing as Shenhua, but not at all as Ren.

So I'm only half-disappointed with the character perspective system loss.
I think I would also have been a lot more interested in playing as Shenhua for a while.

Thinking a little about it, I guess it is because the outline of her "play style"
was said to revolve around her using non-fighting ways and tactics.

In contrast, Ren using more underhanded tactics seemed more classic to me.
(that is to say, something you may find in a lot more games and stories/movies.)

In the end, if they had only put out playing as Ren, I wouldn't have minded at all.
Just because I was curious to take on the challenge to walk past trouble,
only using clever planing and over-smarting beef gates.

Tbh, I am not even sure the magic maze thing even makes sense anymore with todays game engine technology. Surely its not so hard to create a forest now as it was then and looking at screenshots of the game, I see no lack of trees. xD

Youtubers have started reporting on this. I really didn't like how this was framed.
He didn't even mention the stretch goals that were hit behind the scenes...

Youtubers have started reporting on this. I really didn't like how this was framed.
Why would they? People want the scandal to live. The Kickstarter and other areas are still rioting over this. They don't care that they revealed how much bigger and bolder the game now is. The principle of it all, they shriek! Oh well. I hope this teaches everyone here why it took Yu Suzuki nearly 20 years to make Shenmue 3. It's really fucking hard and expensive to make games, and that's without the public prying into all your business dealings.

Let's hope & pray Shenmue 3 sells, cuz crowdfunding is out of the question and I doubt Epic/Deep Silver want to deal with the outrage mob when it comes time to write a check for Shenmue IV.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction to this video:
The chap claims to be a fan of the series, and is going to ask for a refund... He even goes on to say he refused to buy the Collector's Edition - Which from what I gather was PS4 only anyway... Just seems silly to me.. Still, I have mine on Pre-Order and I'm still pumped! ?

Cue the faux outrage for clicks. They want an outrage so they get clicks....simple as that. And they’ll keep feeding that outrage to get clicks for their content. Which I refuse tp give them.

Oh wow, he changed the title from "Epic has a stranglehold on Shenmue 3" to what it is now. I think this is a better, less clickbaity title?

It's not about good press @abaww

Would you rather have YSNet issue the refund?
Sincerely I don't mind who's gonna refund. Everybody's responsible for his own business decision, and that's something you must think about when you take certain choices. Sweeney is just trying to get the more attention as possible, almost playing the victim role in all this mess. Wow.

At this point it's just beating a dead horse.
Not for them that outrage brings them clicks.
There's not much to outrage over this case now, but they are still going "epic very bad".
Cool story bro, we know the deal.

This YouTube dude is a schmuck!

Trying to make that internet monies.

@abaww I don't see it as him playing the victim. I see it as doing the right thing.
I do agree that the physical PC disk should be drm (is that the correct term?) free.

Last edited:
I’m super bummed about Baisha being omitted. But that’s the only bad news to me. This is all really great stuff overall.

Idk about anyone else. Character Perspective system never seemed interesting to me. It always sounded more suited as a future DLC release. I only want to play as Ryo. Playing as Ren and Shenhua would take me right outta the Shenmue experience I think.

I'm very happy with the update.

Of course, this now brings me to a personal dilemma, I really wanted to keep my Kickstarter bundle (I'll purchase plenty of versions to actually play). But the value of keeping a PC disc that is simply an Epic launcher isn't really anything (granted, without a DRM-free experience playable on disc, the Steam PC version was never going to be anything more than a code and I kind of knew that all along). But, the inner Sega fanboy in me had a hard time thinking of seeing Sony PlayStation buttons as QTE prompts, so I went ahead and picked the PC version on my survey (Xbox controller = Dreamcast prompts).

Knowing that you can change the region now, I'm now leaning to switching my version to the Japanese PS4 version. It would be fitting since I purchased the Japanese Dreamcast version at its launch (and watched my Japanese VF3tb Shenmue preview disc so many times, I'm surprise my launch-day Japanese Dreamcast didn't break). I experienced the entire game in Japanese and stumbled my way through it, since my Japanese language skills are subpar to nonexistent.

Of course, I also want to buy a Collector's Edition (I need those jacket patches) - but who knows if I will get one? I could end up with three PS4 versions instead of PC+PS4+future platforms.

Hmmm..

I’m super bummed about Baisha being omitted. But that’s the only bad news to me. This is all really great stuff overall.

Idk about anyone else. Character Perspective system never seemed interesting to me. It always sounded more suited as a future DLC release. I only want to play as Ryo. Playing as Ren and Shenhua would take me right outta the Shenmue experience I think.

I honestly didn't read (or understand) that stretch goal originally. I figured it was something like how Yu deemed Shenmue F.R.E.E. (Fully Reactive Eyes Entertainment). It was something that just got lost in translation...

Now, understanding it - the "Character Perspective System" doesn't appeal to me at all. Although, I wouldn't hate it if they included it, but I definitely don't need or want it...

Back