PSO 2 Finally Reaches the West

Favourite title
Shenmue
The Open Beta Test for PSO 2 launched yesterday on the Xbox One, with the PC release to follow shortly. It's basically a soft launch, with everything in tact, leading into the full release presumably within a couple of weeks.

While not quite the wait Shenmue III was, I have been waiting since 2012 for this game to release in North America. I adored PSO and PSU, but PSU shut down (on PS2/PC) in 2010. Talk about a long, painful wait!

Anyone also hopping aboard? Waiting for the PC/PS4/possibly Switch releases?

Waiting for PS4...! Fingers crossed :D
Here's hoping!

I'm thrilled that Microsoft helped to bring it over, but it's a bummer that it's delaying the PC release (my preferred platform) by a bit, and presumably the PS4 release by quite a bit longer. :(

It's official: the PC version will be live Wednesday morning after maintenance and its cross platform with Xbox One! Preloads start at 2300 Pacific on the 26th.

It's been fun getting started and acquainted with the game a little early, but it chugs a bit on the OG Xbox One. I'm pretty excited!

Too late for me. I'm not really interested anymore, but still happy for the people who want to play it.

Man, I will eventually play this, once I get a decent PC or it comes on PS4/5

Back in the day on Dreamcast, this was so epic:

Something that may have slipped through the cracks on the Xbone showcase is an update to PSO2 called "New Genesis". It seems that it's an overhauled stand-alone product, almost a PSO3 in spirit. New graphics engine, combat, character creator, and day/night cycle in an open world. They're also going to completely overhaul PSO2's graphics to eventually match New Genesis.

It's kind of cool because I haven't had the time to jump into PSO2 yet and there was a feeling in the back of my head that it's too late to start at this point. However, New Genesis can be a good place to start, knowing that the game is getting a new coat of paint and will be supported for years on a new generation of consoles. You can use your character in PSO2 and New Genesis, but it seems they have some splits on character progression existing in each title (which probably makes sense)

Here's a video with some explanation of what New Genesis is and how it matches with the regular old PSO2.

North America only, NA and Japan public servers only, Xbox console exclusive in the west,
PS4 version Japan only.
What year is it again? 2001?

North America only, NA and Japan public servers only, Xbox console exclusive in the west,
PS4 version Japan only.

Damn. Well, looks like I'll keep enjoy the ever loving shit out of PSOv2 on Dreamcast. Might finally grab the Gamecube version for Ep2 soon. Don't know why i sold way back in the day :/

(oh, and i can settle for the original, not the Plus version...)

PS4 version Japan only.
It definitely sucks, but it's because Sega didn't want to pay to localize PSO2 themselves. Microsoft is the one funding the localization as well as hosting it on their Azure servers, and North America is the only region Xbox sells particularly well in. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm a little torn on New Genesis. I've spent some good time with PSO2 (and some good money), and now a good portion of that will get thrown in the dustbin. Yeah, you can see play PSO2 (and it is getting the graphical overhaul, I believe), but it's an eight year old game: why bother with the new one on the horizon? It's so strange to bring it here only to have something newer and better replace it in a year, and it almost certainly means development is going to drop off quickly for the original PSO2 (like with The Secret World and it's relaunched version, The Secret World Legends).

At the same time, while it does mean more waiting, I'll be much happier in the longer run to start PSO2: New Genesis at the beginning of it's lifecycle rather than the end.

It definitely sucks, but it's because Sega didn't want to pay to localize PSO2 themselves. Microsoft is the one funding the localization as well as hosting it on their Azure servers, and North America is the only region Xbox sells particularly well in. I think you can see where I'm going with this.
And it *is* coming to PC in the West. I know, that still leaves Switch and PS4 players out to dry, but I believe it's timed exclusive, at least.

I'm a little torn on New Genesis. I've spent some good time with PSO2 (and some good money), and now a good portion of that will get thrown in the dustbin. Yeah, you can see play PSO2 (and it is getting the graphical overhaul, I believe), but it's an eight year old game: why bother with the new one on the horizon? It's so strange to bring it here only to have something newer and better replace it in a year, and it almost certainly means development is going to drop off quickly for the original PSO2 (like with The Secret World and it's relaunched version, The Secret World Legends).

At the same time, while it does mean more waiting, I'll be much happier in the longer run to start PSO2: New Genesis at the beginning of it's lifecycle rather than the end.

And it *is* coming to PC in the West. I know, that still leaves Switch and PS4 players out to dry, but I believe it's timed exclusive, at least.

Yeah, I do wonder how they're going to manage both PSO2 and New Genesis. I imagine if they're going to bother with the graphical overhaul for PSO2 that it'll still exist for a few more years. Plus they probably don't want to throw out available content. However, as a player you'll essentially be leveling up your character in two different games. I even wonder if the games might compliment each other pretty well (PSO2 being smaller instances, New Genesis being open world - I'm just speculating)

I imagine this was part of the plan when Microsoft decided to bring over PSO2. It would have been weird to bring over this 8 year old game in the final year of a consoles lifespan. I suppose the New Genesis announcement also means that PSO2 is doing well. You also have to wonder about how much money Sega could have left on the table by taking 8 years to localize this game. Better late than never I suppose! Now use that money to help Shenmue IV 😎

👀 👀 👀

EDIT: Seems like it'll go up for download on Steam in about a week.
It's been such a strange road.

It was announced for the West, teased on and off for a few years, seemingly forgotten, then suddenly given a Western release eight years later--but only on Xbox One and via the Microsoft Store on PC. Then they announce a sequel coming potentially less than a year later, and in just over two months after the Microsoft Store release, release the PC version on Steam almost out of nowhere.

It's been such a strange road.

It was announced for the West, teased on and off for a few years, seemingly forgotten, then suddenly given a Western release eight years later--but only on Xbox One and via the Microsoft Store on PC. Then they announce a sequel coming potentially less than a year later, and in just over two months after the Microsoft Store release, release the PC version on Steam almost out of nowhere.

I don't think Sega understands the Western market at all. They kept games like Yakuza (for a few games) and PSO2 unreleased in the Western market for a long time, then when they come here they're surprised that they exceeded expectations. Then they finally release a remastered Valkyria Chronicles and make a Valkyria Chronicles 4 and those sell better than expected, and they're also surprised by how well they sold on PC. They make Binary Domain with the intention of appealing to the Western market, and it sells 20,000 copies. I'm sure there are more examples out there but I think those are enough to make the point.

And the absolute dumbest thing about PSO2 is they could have had 7 years of revenue from the Western market! How much could localization and servers cost compared to the profit potential? Did they think there were no PSO fans in the West? Did they not think PSO2 could do well on PC in the West? It's the most important market in the console and PC space, period. I know one of the main reasons they bought Atlus was to learn how to sell their games in the West, so hopefully that's starting to bear fruit a bit.

I don't think Sega understands the Western market at all. They kept games like Yakuza (for a few games) and PSO2 unreleased in the Western market for a long time, then when they come here they're surprised that they exceeded expectations. Then they finally release a remastered Valkyria Chronicles and make a Valkyria Chronicles 4 and those sell better than expected, and they're also surprised by how well they sold on PC. They make Binary Domain with the intention of appealing to the Western market, and it sells 20,000 copies. I'm sure there are more examples out there but I think those are enough to make the point.

And the absolute dumbest thing about PSO2 is they could have had 7 years of revenue from the Western market! How much could localization and servers cost compared to the profit potential? Did they think there were no PSO fans in the West? Did they not think PSO2 could do well on PC in the West? It's the most important market in the console and PC space, period. I know one of the main reasons they bought Atlus was to learn how to sell their games in the West, so hopefully that's starting to bear fruit a bit.
It's really amazing how oblivious they seem to be. PSO2 has had a solid, active Western community since it's Japanese launch--the Japanese launch! I'm not sure why it took Microsoft's money to convince them to bring it over here.

VC and Yakuza are two other great examples. I just don't understand, and I think it's been this way for twenty five years at this point. Sega manages to be both one of my favorite game companies and one of the most frustrating!

Back