QTE or NO QTE ?

QTE or NO QTE ?

• Total voters
We all know the originator of the QTE mechanic is Sega's own Excite QTE (1981) and its sequel, Excite QTE II (1983).

CC73920D6101800FF8E3C5172FF2E8761B0A3903

54 Vs 1 ^^! I personally like them "spread out". It obviously cannot be just a game of QTE's only or of course it would be lazy game design. But it does help to break up the monotony of the game and also allow you to do things you normally, not in the context of how the game creators wanted anyway, could do not. For instance one of the first QTE's I believe is the soccer ball scene in S1. I doubt it could of made sense giving you full control as you do not normally, if at all, catch things.

There are also other elements that allow you to watch a Hong Kong flick while merely pressing buttons. Then it gives you full control again and you go about your business, most likely with an actual fight right around the corner again and another QTE several scenes from then. So as long as they are used sparingly I do not mind them.

My problem is I have not memorized the controller good enough not to look down sometimes at the more harder moments. I end up missing some of the action because I take my eyes off the screen or took too long to press the right button. But that is a personal issue, rather than a game design flaw.

I'm perfectly fine with QTEs being in the game I just hope they're fixed for IV. I had the same problem with the Shenmue 2 hd version as I did with 3 they went by far too fast. So much so in 3 that I failed everyone and had to learn the buttons before passing it was frustrating.

YES! More of that! I guess I've been too dialled in, but I've never thought to fail that door smashing QTE before haha. Love it.
Yeah, my first time playing I busted the door down first try, but actually screwed it up a couple times when playing it again later. It was kind of nice to be reminded of being tethered to Ren in SII.

Back