QTE or NO QTE ?

QTE or NO QTE ?

• Total voters
I kind of don't really care either way. I sort of like the QTEs in Shenmue, but at the same time, I wouldn't be upset if they were dropped for future games.

QTE's done right can actually be extremely intense and satisfying. A perfect example would be the QTE segment in Shenmue 2 after Ryo and Shuqin Zhang's encounter in the restaurant is interrupted by the Yellow Head. Smacking those goons into tables and pigeon cages in the cramped marketplace en-route to save Zhang is one of the best QTE's I've ever encounted.
I get what you mean, but I actually failed that QTE sequence more times than I care to admit when I was replaying SII last year, and it was pretty frustrating, frankly. Every bit as helter-skelter as SIII's QTE sequences can be, but without any of the laughs in the failure scenarios.

Also the planks--. I think I only failed those two or three time, early on, but that was enough to make me dread them. For me SII is kind of a mixed bag with QTEs.

Um, they’re nearly unplayable because they give you like half a second to react. Pretty common complaint around here. Maybe if they figured out how to actually make the QTEs work next time I’d consider the possibility
I don't know, man. I watched a Japanese girl who sounds like she's 12 (actually probably at least 28) playing through Shenmue III and never missing a single QTE input in her first time through the game. I think there might be a case to be made that people failing the QTEs all the time just need to get good at video games, like this 12-year-old Japanese girl. (True story, but I'm also being facetious. This isn't meant as an attack on anyone.)

My recent QTE rant from a non-QTE-related thread:
I understand using fast QTEs in a mini-game context, as a test of reflexes, even if catching chickens was frustrating for a lot of players.

What I don't think there's any value in whatsoever is "challenging" cinematic QTEs. This is something the rest of the industry learned throughout the PS3/360 era: QTEs work as a way to empower the player; they do not work as a way of challenging them. "Losing" totally diminishes the cinematic experience, and only leads to repeating the same thing again. If you want to challenge the player, do it through actual gameplay instead.

Put it this way, if the cinematic QTEs in III were more forgiving, no one would complain that they were "too easy", yet a huge amount of players would've been less frustrated, and they would've felt more like Ryo (and less like a bumbling idiot). That alone tells me they got the balance wrong.
So yeah, I enjoy cinematic QTEs as a light way of participating in cutscenes, but if they're designed to be super quick then you've messed up. Make them faster on Hard mode if you want, for the people who want that.

The QTE’s were the most disappointing aspect of Shenmue 3. While we can argue about the story and lack of characterization it’s the only aspect of the game I contend is legitimately broken (even until this day).

The timing window is ridiculously short, no matter the difficulty setting and instead of making the player feel empowered by pulling off nicely choreographed moves, makes Ryo and by extension you feel clumsy coupled with the often humorous fail animations. So I hope if they come back they are thoroughly play tested.

In addition the lack of branching paths was hugely disappointing as it was something seen in even the beta footage of the original Shenmue. Instead of the aforementioned comedy fail animations, I would rather that effort be put in alternative animation/routes which allow you to recover if you miss a prompt or two.

Didn't vote since for me it's a matter of budget.
Looking how S3 almost didn't had the Sun training sequence (which was the best part of the whole game), I'd take well animated and directed story cutscenes over QTEs.
But if the budget is enough for both, I don't mind the QTEs, they can be quite cool.

I get what you mean, but I actually failed that QTE sequence more times than I care to admit when I was replaying SII last year, and it was pretty frustrating, frankly. Every bit as helter-skelter as SIII's QTE sequences can be, but without any of the laughs in the failure scenarios.

Was it the HD ports you played? With the QTE prompts being changed from flashing to stationary, I felt that scene lost a lot of its intensity. I don't think I struggled with that scene once in the port, but on the Dreamcast it was insane.
But I guess it's just all about reflexes, if you aren't writing down/memorizing the prompts and beating it that way, like some, I mean.
I played a hell of a lot of Excite QTE though, so maybe that's why I found it more fun than annoying.
The plank section was a bit different in that if you fell off, you'd have to start way over at the beginning again, which is a lot longer than the Zhang QTE. On the DC version you could cheese it by saving at the start of each floor. Can't remember if that is a thing in the ports.

Last edited:
Am I the only one thinking Shenmue III's QTEs are the best ones in the whole saga?
MoCap is great, direction is awesome, etc.
Regarding those being pretended unplayable, I hear that nunerous updates fixed the timing. I started the game after last update was released and I didn't have big issue with QTEs timing. So I am wondering if maybe negative opinions are coming from people who played the game at launch!? 🤔

I would have prefered to have a stealth mini game instead some QTEs that replaced it.(Yeah stealth mini game wasn't good in Shenmue 1 but it's possible to make a proper one.)

while playing shenmue 3, towards the end with ren (free fighting), i kept thinking it would be so much better if it was a big QTE battle.. it could of rivaled the QTE escape in shenmue 2.

but i understand what everyone is saying about the QTE controls being bad. it was one of my complaints as well.

I'm not sure what is the issue in S3 but I suspect the training QTEs were not finished programming/testing:

It's not just about timing, input can be performed during QTE prompts and you don't have any indications of which is your window, so you just end up mashing the sequence randomly.

Has to be done well. A lot of games nowadays can't even match was the original game done. Most of the times it is lazy game design, extremely easy choices where even the action slows down. The first two Shenmue games made it feel like an actual challenge and similarly as intense as an actual fight. Shenmue III just botched it by making them impossibly hard. I literally never successfully completed a QTE event on a natural playthrough. Every sequence was done by failing and memorising it.

Was it the HD ports you played? With the QTE prompts being changed from flashing to stationary, I felt that scene lost a lot of its intensity. I don't think I struggled with that scene once in the port, but on the Dreamcast it was insane.
But I guess it's just all about reflexes, if you aren't writing down/memorizing the prompts and beating it that way, like some, I mean.
I played a hell of a lot of Excite QTE though, so maybe that's why I found it more fun than annoying.
Dreamcast version. I keep meaning to play the HD ports, but the audio and UI are real sticking points for me, even all hopped up on Steam-juice.

Anyway, I do actually like that sequence, but the QTEs in it don't really work for me, for whatever reason. Probably my favorite QTE sequence in the series is the Wong chase at the beginning of 2. That's one where the inputs kind of feel more natural to me, in relation to the actions in the scene.

On the DC version you could cheese it by saving at the start of each floor. Can't remember if that is a thing in the ports.
I-- I never once thought to do this--. 😭 (I'm not really sure I would ever allow myself to do it, though.)

I do not enjoy qte that are just a failure state and thus restart a cinematic sequence or worse a instakill qte prompt in a boss fight. I consider those QTE done badly, ys I consider some of Shenmue1 and Shenmue2 bad qtes.

If they give bonuses on a battle or branching paths in the story cinematic (for example catching a thief vs failing to cath the thief and then need to search pawn shops) sylure I am all in for those.

There are also the fake QTE, those who ask you to actions like smash a button but are almost impossible to fail like the one in metal gear 4 in the microwave section. Those are also fine.

I like the qtes in 1&2 with there branching paths a d that they are responsive in 3 they did t work so well.and felt unresponsive and had no branching paths so I'll take them is done like 1&2 or if improved but if done like in 3 I'd rather them just be removed

When I played S3 , QTEs made me somehow believe that my PC is weak to run this game properly in high setting.( thought I'm getting stuttering during QTEs)
But guess that's not the case.

Shenmue without QTE's is like Michael Buffer going into the ring and not saying "Let's Get Ready To Rumble".

However Shenmue III's QTE's needs serious patching as the response times are very unforgiving. I hope they fix this in IV.

Yeah, I would most likely miss QTE's were they to be scrapped. It's something that far has been integral to the Shenmue series, but if I'm honest the S2 CQTEs were superior to anything in 1 & 2. Big fan of those. But if they were to be scrapped and the game turned out to be amazing in other aspects, then I'm sure I'd get over it.

No more QTEs in Shenmue would be a huge regression. This is where it all started. Cutting QTEs would be the equivalent of Mortal Kombat without fatalities. Keep QTEs🤔

Back