Question about something near the end of the game... People who can read Japanese needed!

There's an eye icon where X/A is. Just press the button and you'll get it.
Honestly I didnt get the prompt I tryd to look through the eye slot of those rooms all I could see it a photo of ryu but no promt to look in or open the door

You got a higher quality photo?? Can't really make out some of those kanji characters.

But wait, is this saying Chai has a family? That family portrait? What the fuck?

Judging by the map, it looks like maybe he's been keeping tabs on us...at it does look like he's been following our path.

It's full Chinese :) The vertical sentence is a Chinese idiom meaning "Constant effort leads to success". Checked here :

No idea about the smaller text, that's too grammatically Chinese to be understood with a knowledge of Japanese :(

It's full Chinese :) The vertical sentence is a Chinese idiom meaning "Constant effort leads to success". Checked here :

No idea about the smaller text, that's too grammatically Chinese to be understood with a knowledge of Japanese :(

Yeah, I gathered the top part was but wasn't sure about the bottom...it was too blurry to make out fully anyway.

Honestly I didnt get the prompt I tryd to look through the eye slot of those rooms all I could see it a photo of ryu but no promt to look in or open the door
That's weird D:

I have a save file just before it. I wish I could send it to you somehow.

A red circle should appear around the slit of the door.

Ah, excuse my ignorance! It makes sense, since the notebook entry mentions something about Chai being really stubborn.

I'll link it for everyone who's interested. It was so difficult to find a play through where somebody actually got this easter egg, honestly. MANY people just go to the third door. One guy clicked on the second door but didn't click the icon that allowed him survey the room further. It was an absolute nightmare to find a video of this, I honestly looked through about 10 different playthroughs to find it. The link is timestamped, so it will bring you to the specific part I mentioned.

Looks like it is from "孫子兵法(The Art of War)"

其用戰也勝,久則鈍兵挫銳,攻城則力屈,久暴師則國用不足。夫鈍兵挫銳,屈力殫貨,則諸侯乘其弊而起,雖有智者不能善其後矣。故兵聞拙速,未睹巧之久也。夫兵久而國利者,未之有也。故不盡知用兵之害者,則不能盡知用兵之利也。

Here is a translation I found from the internet.

其用戰也,勝久則鈍兵挫銳,攻城則力屈,
When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be damped. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength.

久暴師則國用不足。
Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain.

夫鈍兵挫銳,屈力殫貨,則諸侯乘其弊而起,雖有智者不能善其後矣。
Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor damped, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.

故兵聞拙速,未睹巧之久也。
Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.

夫兵久而國利者,未之有也。
There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

故不盡知用兵之害者,則不能盡知用兵之利也。
It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on.

Just finished the game and managed to come across this room (was fucking awesome). Went back and recorded it with shadowplay and here is a screengrab. Once you look through the letterbox thing, you can zoom in again on some things, hence how I managed to get a much closer screenshot:- (click on it for full 1080p sizing)

ChaiRoomText.png

Back