Quite how much dialogue is in this game...

I'm on my 4th playthrough of Shenmue since 200, this time on the PC (for the first time - previous were DC and PS4).

This is the first time I'm taking it really, really slowly. I'm going to try and get all the capsule toys, win all the prizes in store, access the extra content (like your friends visiting your house) and master my moves. Although I have to admit after mastering about 8 of them so far - that one is pretty trying!

Anyway another thing I've done is talk to loads of people in town every time I get a new topic of conversation to see what their take is. And wow - the volume of dialogue is just overwhelming. This is to the point where I've even accidentally missed stuff. For example when I've learned something new from speaking to someone and the topic of conversation has moved on so there's no chance to get certain character's take on the previous topic.

What were the developers thinking when they did this? Was it just to make sure that at any point you could interact with any character and get a sensible answer? Were they hoping there'd be certain characters you speak to that became your 'favourites'?

It's just so overwhelming - but also - a lot of the dialogue is so repetitive, although a few times you get neat little insights - like the sporting goods guy is the chairman of the Dobuita Business Association.

Anyway I think in this respect Shenmue is still unrivalled in any game and it succeeds so well at creating this living town and I'm really glad I'm choosing to experience it this way instead of getting sucked into the story.

Also I'm reading the official guide and what the hell - Lan Di is 31 years old?! Man I'm older than Lan Di was then - I thought he was at least in his 40s!

Shenmue truly is a game that benefits from multiple playthroughs because it’s impossible to see everything in one go. Did the developers hope and expect players to play through the game multiple times? It is hard to say but given how many unique pieces of dialogue there is, I think it speaks to how much detail and personality they wanted to give the NPC’s and that’s confirmed with the detailed profiles many had.

Shenmue truly is a game that benefits from multiple playthroughs because it’s impossible to see everything in one go. Did the developers hope and expect players to play through the game multiple times? It is hard to say but given how many unique pieces of dialogue there is, I think it speaks to how much detail and personality they wanted to give the NPC’s and that’s confirmed with the detailed profiles many had.
Shenmue was absolutely a labour of love for its developers. You can see this most in even the tiniest of details.

Check out BlueMue's YouTube page; he's done half a dozen videos of rare dialogue. It blows my mind that two decades on, there are still bits I have never seen before!

EDIT: Holy crap, i've never seen this cut scene before either!! I must have played the game at least a dozen times too...or maybe I saw it on the first or 2nd playthrough but certainly never since!

Last edited:
Check out BlueMue's YouTube page; he's done half a dozen videos of rare dialogue. It blows my mind that two decades on, there are still bits I have never seen before!

EDIT: Holy crap, i've never seen this cut scene before either!! I must have played the game at least a dozen times too...or maybe I saw it on the first or 2nd playthrough but certainly never since!

Yes I went to go and get that scene on this playthrough, you can also have a unique bit of dialogue with nozomi on the phone afterwards too. I'm sure I did see this incidentally on one of my previous playthroughs but you could totally miss it of you just went via the other route into dobuita. Thanks for the link to the video that's awesome!

Are there any interviews with the devs out there?

i still had a bunch of dialogue I never encountered years later until I saw the convos on YouTube

In that case you'll definitely want to check out the easter egg found recently by a Japanese fan where Nozomi can join Ryo in battle!

In that case you'll definitely want to check out the easter egg found recently by a Japanese fan where Nozomi can join Ryo in battle!
I love this! Ryo probably would've been pressured into a relationship had he known about this haha! The saga ends by the two of them happily married and Ryo working the 9-5 at the docks to pay for their mortgage!

People with a way higher IQ will know this, but - Is there a way of extracting the subtitles from the game code? Would be cool to have a script that you could read.

Back