Raffle Draw Stories

Shenmue AM2 Podcast

Check us out on iTunes and YouTube
I am playing through Shenmue and Shenmue II one last time before the HD games come out and I have been having absolutely ridiculous good luck at the raffle draws. At the Tomato Convenience in Dobuita I have won the Red Stereo, the Silver Stereo, Hang-On and Space Harrier for the Saturn, all four of the cassettes and all four of the fourth place capsule toys (not to mention a bunch of 5th place ones as well. I have never had this much luck with the raffle draws before. It is crazy.

When I won the Red Stereo, it was from cashing in a Winning Can. My wife was watching me do some raffle draws and I gave her the controller to try it a couple times. She won the Space Harrier game on only her second attempt at the raffle.

Did you know that if you buy an item that gives you a raffle ticket and the clock moves past 11:30 PM while you are paying for the item, the game automatically draws a raffle ticket (Ryo still puts his hand the raffle box, but the game automatically draws a ticket for you, it won't prompt you to hit the "A" button) and if you get either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th prize on the raffle ticket draw, the game does not allow you to choose which prize you want. It will default to whatever corresponding prize Ryo's hand points at. For example if you win third prize, Ryo automatically picks the Hang-On cassette. When this happened to me, luckily Hang-On was the only cassette left that I needed.

Maybe as an adult, I have more patience for buying items to get to draw a raffle ticket, but as a teenager I came no wheres close to this amount of success in the raffle draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never seemed to have great luck on raffles, even when I deliberately stalled the story on the docks and spent a few days wages night after night. Curious, do people tend to wait the same amount of time before pressing A, or do you try to mix it up?

Mix it up when not working. Same/simmilar pattern, timing during one shop visit when it is hitting.

I've been using Demul savestates with Cheat engine, and found a value for which prize Ryo gets, observing it i found out that this value changes at the moment Ryo puts his hand in a box and stays constant. In other words It doesnt matter when you press A, the prize number is decided at exact moment Ryo puts his hand in a box and stays the same.

the Addresses for eu Shenmue are
Dobuita Tomato store - 2C3FC2E0
Abe Store - 2C3FE4E0

Those are some great finds, Radar! Good to have hard proof that it is in fact true that it doesn't matter at all how many swishes you wait.

If you want a raffle story...
I really wanted to win the Dural Gold for a video and so I went to the vending machine next to Abe's store and bought cola until I had 10 winning cans. Then I proceded to cash them in for a go at the raffle over and over again. The setup may take some time but it is faster to dump these on the counter than buying snacks eventually. Well definately when you have the beta and can save directly at the store, keep this as a tip for I&II.

And oooh how much time this method must've saved overall. I had to draw 2392 times until I finally won that damn thing. And I did this around Christmas where the chances of winning are doubled!

My best raffle story has to be in Abe store. I had some video evidence back in the day but I think I posted it on a facebook page and deleted it...

Anyway, basically Setsu's character model would disappear after drawing a lot of tickets. If after she disappeared I pressed A to talk to her, she would suddenly reappear and then the camera would glitch all over the place for a second. I was able to replicate it a few times...

My best raffle story has to be in Abe store. I had some video evidence back in the day but I think I posted it on a facebook page and deleted it...

Anyway, basically Setsu's character model would disappear after drawing a lot of tickets. If after she disappeared I pressed A to talk to her, she would suddenly reappear and then the camera would glitch all over the place for a second. I was able to replicate it a few times...

I remember Peter doing something similar on the Dojo stream (Shenmue Lounge at the time) :)

Back