Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

I'm waiting until episode 2drops to watch both back to back. Might be able to do same for rest of season, but we'll see

Been waiting til today for starting to watch the three teaser trailers throughout the week!

Anyone tried checking sales of Shenmue 1-3 on Amazon, etc. to see if there's been an increase since the anime aired?

Just one. Can’t see it being renewed for a second season, nor do I think that was ever the plan.

What makes you say that tomboz? Seems a lot of effort to put into a one-and-done.
That would be monumentally stupid of Sega, so you're probably right

Anyone tried checking sales of Shenmue 1-3 on Amazon, etc. to see if there's been an increase since the anime aired?
Initial research tells me not much of an impact, but I don't actually know what it was selling like before the anime aired. KEEP AN EYE ON IT!

This would be a good time to make a Shenmue 1&2 Nintendo Switch port.
This would be a great time to cobble together a digital ad and advertise Shenmue 1-3 to the new fanbase, but we know Sega & Deep Silver don't think like we do. Where's my EXCLUSIVE ANIME RYO JACKET FOR SHENMUE 3??? You know what I mean?

This would be a great time to cobble together a digital ad and advertise Shenmue 1-3 to the new fanbase, but we know Sega & Deep Silver don't think like we do. Where's my EXCLUSIVE ANIME RYO JACKET FOR SHENMUE 3??? You know what I mean?

Factory 🏭

What makes you say that tomboz? Seems a lot of effort to put into a one-and-done.
That would be monumentally stupid of Sega, so you're probably right
Just a hunch. I think we’ll get a clearer idea once the first season ends (specifically, where it ends), but I always got the impression that the anime was intended to provide an entry point into the series for those who didn’t want to have to play a pair of two-decade-old games before playing S3. Of course, I could be wrong or that could all change if the anime proves to be massively successful, but I’m not sure I can see the latter happening. Nothing against it or anything, but it feels a little like the anime community had decided that it was going to fail even before the first episode had aired.

Just a hunch. I think we’ll get a clearer idea once the first season ends (specifically, where it ends), but I always got the impression that the anime was intended to provide an entry point into the series for those who didn’t want to have to play a pair of two-decade-old games before playing S3. Of course, I could be wrong or that could all change if the anime proves to be massively successful, but I’m not sure I can see the latter happening. Nothing against it or anything, but it feels a little like the anime community had decided that it was going to fail even before the first episode had aired.
I really hope not, but with Shenmue's luck I always fear you may be right.

Although if it was meant to bolster sales for S3 then they're two years too late for that. Here's hoping it gets enough attention from people who don't play the games to garner a second season and keep going.

I’d take it more as they’re trying to pave the way to Shenmue IV. Sega, TMS, Cartoon Network and Crunchyroll teaming up to produce an entire anime to benefit a two-year-old Deep Silver game sold at a deep discount seems hard to believe. But a series that lets you skip over three games, including a third game “fans” didn’t particularly love, could be a path to Shenmue IV. Or they just wanted to cash in on an old name and an existing fan base, so they made a quick series.

I’m usually wrong about this stuff, btw. I just like talking.

I’d take it more as they’re trying to pave the way to Shenmue IV. Sega, TMS, Cartoon Network and Crunchyroll teaming up to produce an entire anime to benefit a two-year-old Deep Silver game sold at a deep discount seems hard to believe. But a series that lets you skip over three games, including a third game “fans” didn’t particularly love, could be a path to Shenmue IV. Or they just wanted to cash in on an old name and an existing fan base, so they made a quick series.

I’m usually wrong about this stuff, btw. I just like talking.
I dunno. Negotiations began during development of Shenmue 3, so unless they knew it was going to bomb way ahead of release it seems a little odd that they’d already be planning for it to fail. What’s more, assuming the first season ends in the cave (which the anime seems to suggest that it will), I can’t see them stretching Shenmue 3 into a full cour, meaning that any theoretical season 2 would likely comprise of content from both Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 4.

Releasing the story ahead of time doesn’t seem like the best way to pave the way for a game, so if this were the case I’d be more inclined to believe that the anime was always conceived as a way of wrapping up the story without the need for more games. Granted, we’ve been told that that definitely isn’t the case, but I think that the end point of season 1 will provide us with a more definitive answer as to what their intentions were.

If season 1 ends halfway through S2’s story we can perhaps assume that the plan was always to release two seasons of the anime to cover up to the beginning of Shenmue 4 (season 1 taking us to the halfway point of Shenmue 2 and season 2 to the end of Shenmue 3). If season 1 ends in the cave, I’d guess the plan was either to provide a less archaic entry point or wrap things up entirely. I guess it’s also possible that they’d hoped to have S4 ready for the release of season 2, but this would seem like wishful thinking on their part.

Back