Random Shenmue III Thoughts

The series is tainted. Only way to fix this is to rescind the exclusivity and make it day and date on steam. Most Shenmue 3 videos are getting disliked to hell now.

What amazes me at the moment is the fact that a few years back there was not a single sign of life of the franchise. now we are getting everything in the pallet: good & bad ... SHENMUE I II HD; SHENMUE III; SHENMUE MAYBE ON DIFFERENT PLATTFORMS; SHITSTORMS; MERCHANDISING ETC.

It just baffles the mind, that's all.

The series isn't tainted.
The Fans are the ones that got Tainted.
Hopefully the shitnado has died down.

I just hope Yu isn't discouraged by all this BS. That is the scary part.

As someone said he's an old school dude.
He might not want to deal with how the gaming community of today deals with disappointments.

I don’t see quite see it myself. I thought the master and red fighter model were definitely two of the better NPC models we’ve seen to date, however I noticed rewatching footage how lightening has huge impact on Ryo’s model. If there’s no direct light the model looks very washed out and flat lacking those small details (facial hair, wrinkles, skin shading) seen in the aforementioned models.

I don’t see quite see it myself. I thought the master and red fighter model were definitely two of the better NPC models we’ve seen to date, however I noticed rewatching footage how lightening has huge impact on Ryo’s model. If there’s no direct light the model looks very washed out and flat lacking those small details (facial hair, wrinkles, skin shading) seen in the aforementioned models.

Very true. I’m not quite sure what YSNet is doing with their lighting engine but there isnt much time left to fix it. It just seems like they don’t really have a strong grasp on UE4. Models are low poly, textures are flat, lighting is weak. Anyhow, they can’t afford another delay into 2020 as FF7 Remake and CyberPunk 2077 are scheduled for early 2020 release.

Very true. I’m not quite sure what YSNet is doing with their lighting engine but there isnt much time left to fix it. It just seems like they don’t really have a strong grasp on UE4. Models are low poly, textures are flat, lighting is weak. Anyhow, they can’t afford another delay into 2020 as FF7 Remake and CyberPunk 2077 are scheduled for early 2020 release.

You sure you've been looking at Shenmue III?

Awesome Japan is incapable of good PR, so I'm not expecting anything. I also think their hands are tied by whatever contract Deep Silver inked with Epic.
There isn't very much AJ can do at this juncture. Decisions and discussions are happening elsewhere.

So I guess I gotta eat some crow and admit I was wrong about Shenmue 3's showing at this years E3. Both in good ways and bad ways.

We got a new trailer, different from the Walmart Kiosk footage. The first half of this was very awesome indeed. The later half looked really rough and imo awful.

We got some actual awesome gameplay clips instead of just talking about it. Seems to be during the same section as previous 15 min demo written impressions though. But this time people actually got to play it for themselves.

Epic Games Store nonsense.

Collectors editions announced.

DLC

Later today Gamespot has a 20 min segment on Shenmue 3.

So, Shenmue 3 had a pretty significant showing at E3 this year. A lot of it is great. Some of it was mind numbingly dumb, and will continue to be discussed until Deep Silver do something to rectify the situation.

Seems @Spaghetti 's optimism was justified for the most part, so good on him.

Still, I am still okay with my own skepticism. I think if I went in expecting more I would have ultimately been disappointed but I have been pleasantly surprised. Would have been nice to see Chobu and more exploration and maybe a part of an actual investigation mission instead of only mini games, but I can understand why they would wanna keep that kinda stuff close to their chest until closer to the games release date.

Here's hoping the game continues to be in the spotlight with showing a during Gamescom and Paris Games Week.

Last edited:
There isn't very much AJ can do at this juncture. Decisions and discussions are happening elsewhere.

The problem is that these discussions didn't happen earlier. That's a serious mismanagement of a campaign. Especially considering the parties involved.

As I said, they should do like Phoenix Point and call it a day. They made the same deal as for Shenmue III and yet here's what they did:
  1. Offer EGS key for backers + A Steam/GOG key for after the exclusivity period + All DLCs for free
  2. Offer refunds.

I don't know who's responsible for the Kickstarter campaign (seems like YsNet is) but in any case, what's going on is a mess.

So I guess I gotta eat some crow and admit I was wrong about Shenmue 3's showing at this years E3. Both in good ways and bad ways.

We got a new trailer, different from the Walmart Kiosk footage. The first half of this was very awesome indeed. The later half looked really rough and imo awful.

We got some actual awesome gameplay clips instead of just talking about it. Seems to be during the same section as previous 15 min demo written impressions though. But this time people actually got to play it for themselves.

Epic Games Store nonsense.

Collectors editions announced.

DLC

Later today Gamespot has a 20 min segment on Shenmue 3.

So, Shenmue 3 had a pretty significant showing at E3 this year. A lot of it is great. Some of it was mind numbingly dumb, and will continue to be discussed until Deep Silver do something to rectify the situation.

Seems @Spaghetti 's optimism was justified for the most part, so good on him.

Still, I am still okay with my own skepticism. I think if I went in expecting more I would have ultimately been disappointed but I have been pleasantly surprised. Would have been nice to see Chobu and more exploration and maybe a part of an actual investigation mission but I can understand why they would wanna keep that kinda stuff close to their chest until closer to the games release date.

Here's hoping the game continues to be in the spotlight with showinga during Gamescom and Paris Games Week.

Going on what you are saying, i am trying to hone in on Shenmue, by separating the two completely. My focus and love are for this franchise, and YSNET. With the information i have now, i cannot include YSNET full force in with Deep Silver on all of the madness that was, and still is currently taking place.

I dont want to sound ignorant to the hardships people have felt done by, i have agreed with the fact that there should be promises delivered, and spent yesterday talking with Koch Media to try and get things moving.

But when i felt my love for the franchise begin to dissipate because of all the other stuff, that's when i knew i had to separate the two. Nothing or no one has the right to do that to me. To inadvertently take away the love and passion i have had for this series for 20 years now. That's worse than forcing a new platform onto Kickstarters, for me on a personal and intimate level. I spiralled head first into a pit of depression yesterday, and i would not liked to have seen where that will have led to, if it wern't for Esra and IGN Japan pulling me back out of that hole with the new in game footage.

I'm sorry that Kickstarter Backers are having to go through this, and like i said, i will help in any way that i can. But i also need to look after my own interests, and make sure i remain passionate and dear to this franchise and Yu Suzuki, by not letting outside actions and decisions deter that to the extent where i walk away completely (a place where my head was actually at yesterday).

Not really disputing this, just saying there's literally nothing anybody handling the Kickstarter can do at the minute. The business is happening elsewhere. Even Yu Suzuki is still in LA.

Anyway, I'm sure or at least I hope they'll adress that pretty soon so that we can all move on.
By the way, do we know if Gamespot is planning to show the game ?

Going on what you are saying, i am trying to hone in on Shenmue, by separating the two completely. My focus and love are for this franchise, and YSNET. With the information i have now, i cannot include YSNET full force in with Deep Silver on all of the madness that was, and still is currently taking place.

I dont want to sound ignorant to the hardships people have felt done by, i have agreed with the fact that there should be promises delivered, and spent yesterday talking with Koch Media to try and get things moving.

But when i felt my love for the franchise begin to dissipate because of all the other stuff, that's when i knew i had to separate the two. Nothing or no one has the right to do that to me. To inadvertently take away the love and passion i have had for this series for 20 years now. That's worse than forcing a new platform onto Kickstarters, for me on a personal and intimate level. I spiralled head first into a pit of depression yesterday, and i would not liked to have seen where that will have led to, if it wern't for Esra and IGN Japan pulling me back out of that hole with the new in game footage.

I'm sorry that Kickstarter Backers are having to go through this, and like i said, i will help in any way that i can. But i also need to look after my own interests, and make sure i remain passionate and dear to this franchise and Yu Suzuki, by not letting outside actions and decisions deter that to the extent where i walk away completely (a place where my head was actually at yesterday).

I think it is completely fair to still be excited for the game and to not let outside factors tarnish your excitement for the game and to personally be okay with buying the game on a different platform.

However, and I am not saying you do this, but I think it is completely unfair for anyone to dismiss the complaints of backers and their criticisms of Epics Games Store and YSNet, and their recent decisions. I do not play games on PC personally (because I care about ownership. This whole kerfuffle makes me all the more satisfied that I only really play physical games on disc. Apparently those who backed PC physical compy are just getting a box, with a code instead of the actual game on disc now. That sucks) but I still care about peoples rights and desires and am against what I perceive to be anti-competitive behaviors.

I dont think its right for people who will buy the game to call others who want a refund "childish" or "haters" or "petty" If people are alright with buying from Epic, alright, its good enough for them but people who are upset arent wrong either and they are justified at criticizing Deep Silver, YSNet and Shibuya Productions for not fullfilling the KS backers funding the way they were supposed to.

So yeah, dont let the criticisms get you down or stop you from enjoying the game but also realize its thats okay for some but not for others.

Thats my take anyway.

I am one of the few who think Ys Net and Yu Suzuki really had no part in this nonsense and I am getting REAMED over on another site for saying as much.

But I really think it's just the evil of business & capitalism at the end of the day. Deep Silver gave them an offer they couldn't refuse, but also ended up being able to make business decisions that would effectively make Ys Net look culpable due to their reliance on crowdfunding.

I am on team Shenmue anyway. The drama bores me. I think it sucks and I hope there's resolution, but now people are just turning mean and ugly over it.

Back