Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Throughout the forum I have read several times that the demo is from an old build, but is there some evidence of that? In the installation folder there is a file stating that the demo is from a build dated 25/09/2019.

The general impression I got from reading his Twitter feed is that

1.) It's like a Dreamcast game but in the best way possible....which is fair...it's Shenmue but modernised where it needed to be modernised.

2.) Character models are actually rather good but let down by animations, particularly the eyes (which is a criticism I share, I do think some of the animations in the trial range from good to serviceable...animation is this games one major let down I feel)

3.) He seems quite taken by the land scape

4.) Thinks the fighting is a step down. (Yeah, it's not the VF engine, but for what it is? I still don't think it's bad...actually I'm rather enjoying it)

That was the general impression I got from reading his Twitter replies, so I would assume he will cover both the good and negative in the video. But in the fairest way possible. Which is fine, John does good work. That's the one video game Youtube outlet I actually do have some respect for. They always output good worthwhile content that isn't puff PR pieces or click bait trash.

Looking forward to his video. I LOVED his DF Retro Shenmue episodes so it's only fitting for him look at Shenmue III and put it to the test...but based on his Twitter replies, he seems more positive than negative about it.
Yeah, that's the impression I get as well. Heck, I don't really feel like his negatives will be so much delivered in a negative way, but more to point out a few minor issues he has with the game. I can imagine that when the vid is released, it'll be delivered in a positive way but also noting a few issues he had with the game. But it pretty much lines up with my feelings mostly - though I personally have 0 issue with how Ryo looks myself, I feel he looks great. Landscape does indeed look damn nice, which is par of the course for Shenmue really :)

Throughout the forum I have read several times that the demo is from an old build, but is there some evidence of that? In the installation folder there is a file stating that the demo is from a build dated 25/09/2019.

Updated in what way though?

That’s the thing. YSNet are the only ones who would truly know what build it is or where it stands next to the final product.

Considering the trial only features Bailu, you have to assume it’s simply a fragmented build removed from the full product for demo purposes.

I honestly don’t know anymore and don’t care to speculate. But, considering the mouth animations in the TGS B-roll were way more articulate than those in the trial, then I do speculate that it may be indeed an older build compared to the full product they’re still compiling

Last edited:
Asking the reverse question. Who did not play or watch at the demo, feel proud to succeed to resist and can wait for the precious with relative serenity. :coffee:

Me. Mainly because I want to experience the game proper without playing the trial first. I've been avoiding playthroughs of the game with only looking at some screenshots and snippets showing stuff like Rain or some cool combat stuff.

The eye animations have been addressed most likely in a newer build of the game (as can be seen in the English Prophecy trailer comparison). I'm guessing that the demo is most like from a pre E3 build.

View attachment 4551

Yea, It's all but confirmed to be the build used for the E3 demo. Someone who played the Gamescom demo, noted that one of the NPCS had a cutscene associated with her, which Isn't in this demo.

I was pretty positive it was the E3 demo, but when another user said that, yea that basically confirms it.

Last edited:
^^

The game and the demo are two completely different things. Changes to the full game build don't magically transfer over to the demo, they would have to work on and implement changes to both separately. The demo has been around since before E3 and since then they would have been manually making changes alongside the main game to try and keep it up to date for press and eventually backers. It's safe to assume that way more attention has been put on developing the actual game so it's likely that changes they didn't have time to put in the demo weren't implemented, or major things they just couldn't be arsed to fuck about with for the demo's sake. They probably picked and chose a few things to update as they have been going along but they're not going to be fucking with the demo build in a major way if it's already running great and isn't broken. The September 25th date is meaningless as we have no idea what the disparity between the full game and demo is. It makes sense to see that date as it was released on that day.

Just read this. The article has some new images aswell and honestly one of them may be a little spoilery lol. Looks great though.

So it's out and we can buy it now? Don't do digital mags much, but might have to make an exception... I hate you have to use weird apps with them instead of them just issuing PDF or CBZ files or whatever, but get why they do it.

Back