Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I can't wait for Tuesday. I can finally stop coming here like an addict looking for something new..... Am sure the addiction will return after I finish S3, for all the secret Easter eggs that are in the game. That am sure some of you badass people will find.

With that typed.

Suzuki has claimed in a recent interview, that not all the secrets have been found in his games. Do you think he's talking about the Shenmue Series or another?

So here's IGN's 10 Reasons They are Excited for Shenmue III. It's the same thing from the Japanese Preview and its translation by Esra Krabbe, but this time it's on YouTube. The comments are on fire with ignorance. The general gaming populous sucks.

So here's IGN's 10 Reasons They are Excited for Shenmue III. It's the same thing from the Japanese Preview and its translation by Esra Krabbe, but this time it's on YouTube. The comments are on fire with ignorance. The general gaming populous sucks.

If the general gaming populous didnt suck, the series wouldve been completed years ago on the sequel to Dreamcast.

If the general gaming populous didnt suck, the series wouldve been completed years ago on the sequel to Dreamcast.

It's ironic... Sony killed the Dreamcast with its PS2, with SEGA hoping Shenmue would save it. Now we're playing Shenmue III on PS2's much younger brother.

The world is strange.

That was a pretty good preview. I'm looking forward to fishing and finding all the chobuchans. I feel like the hate comes from people who never played and just don't get why Shenmue was hyped, expecting some epic AAA game. Kind of weird to see Ryo in various outfits but I like them.

That was a pretty good preview. I'm looking forward to fishing and finding all the chobuchans. I feel like the hate comes from people who never played and just don't get why Shenmue was hyped, expecting some epic AAA game. Kind of weird to see Ryo in various outfits but I like them.

While I basically agree with everything, I'm getting annoyed that even Shenmue fans downplay it by using the expecting a AAA, ect thing.

I know people are using it as a preemptive counter measure, but the fact is, in basically every aspect, It's a lot higher quality then what you would find in nearly any AAA game(You would need to set Shenmue 3 against a Monolith game, to even find a AAA game that beats certain aspects of Shenmue 3 in a noticeable way, and even then like I said, only in certain aspects, by no way, all around).

Hmm my only concern with that IGN video is the talk of calling people from the past games. I thought that was a Kickstarter Exclusive? If so it’s not a good idea to be advertising it to newbies who are less likely to have backed the game.

Hmm my only concern with that IGN video is the talk of calling people from the past games. I thought that was a Kickstarter Exclusive? If so it’s not a good idea to be advertising it to newbies who are less likely to have backed the game.

I knew about the multiple card thing for ages now, I assume(a educated assumption) different chats will be tied to different phone cards, so I wouldn't worry. It seems like there will be a lot of chat/discussion possibilities, It's not going to be a super minor easteregg like we thought it was going to be during the KS.

While I basically agree with everything, I'm getting annoyed that even Shenmue fans downplay it by using the expecting a AAA, ect thing.

I know people are using it as a preemptive counter measure, but the fact is, in basically every aspect, It's a lot higher quality then what you would find in nearly any AAA game(You would need to set Shenmue 3 against a Monolith game, to even find a AAA game that beats certain aspects of Shenmue 3 in a noticeable way, and even then like I said, only in certain aspects, by no way, all around).
Yeah, maybe that wasn't the best example to make so I apologize. What I meant was people who dislike the game usually state things like the graphics and animations looking "dated", and not realizing that the budget is modest compared to some modern titles. I personally think the game looks quite good and appreciate the level of detail int he environments and objects. Animation is admittedly a little janky at times but that's about it from what I've seen.

Yeah, maybe that wasn't the best example to make so I apologize. What I meant was people who dislike the game usually state things like the graphics and animations looking "dated", and not realizing that the budget is modest compared to some modern titles. I personally think the game looks quite good and appreciate the level of detail int he environments and objects. Animation is admittedly a little janky at times but that's about it from what I've seen.

Yea I guess, but even that doesn't really make sense, it comes off as just a remark made to diffuse/a quick way to discredit a BS claim that a hater made.

Yu Suzuki is just very good at managing money you see, and running a team. If someone else tried to make this same game, yea it would cost them atleast 40-50m(and that would be without the super minor intricacies other then the art its self. with the intricacies it would cost 250m+, and take double the time it did).

Yea I guess, but even that doesn't really make sense, it comes off as just a remark made to diffuse/a quick way to discredit a BS claim that a hater made.

Yu Suzuki is just very good at managing money you see, and running a team. If someone else tried to make this same game, yea it would cost them atleast 40-50m(and that would be without the super minor intricacies other then the art its self. with the intricacies it would cost 250m+, and take double the time it did).
I do agree with you but at the same time Yu Suzuki didn't expect the game to become as big and beautiful as it did. It could have well been a mobile game if it just barely made that initial $2,000,000 goal. Some things also had to be sacrificed like the ability to talk to every single NPC and throw moves etc. But I believe he prioritized the most important aspects and has done well with the resources and budget available. I don't mean to downplay the hard work Yu and has team have done, but I can see why it would come off that way. I'll try not to use it as a diffuse/excuse in future.

I do agree with you but at the same time Yu Suzuki didn't expect the game to become as big and beautiful as it did. It could have well been a mobile game if it just barely made that initial $2,000,000 goal. Some things also had to be sacrificed like the ability to talk to every single NPC and throw moves etc. But I believe he prioritized the most important aspects and has done well with the resources and budget available. I don't mean to downplay the hard work Yu and has team have done, but I can see why it would come off that way. I'll try not to use it as a diffuse/excuse in future.

Yea that's true(although I think the some NPCs not being able to be talked to, was a decision made not due to such. I think it has more to do with a design choice made with certain NPCs, but otherwise yea I agree).

Yea that's true(although I think the some NPCs not being able to be talked to, was a decion made not due to such, otherwise yea I agree).
I thought I had read an interview or article stating as much, but that may be me not remember things correctly or something a game journalist assumed was done for that reason. It doesn't bother me though, and the game is supposed to have more dialogue than ever before. I am interested to see what they do with the Shenhau conversations in particular.

I thought I had read an interview or article stating as much, but that may be me not remember things correctly or something a game journalist assumed was done for that reason. It doesn't bother me though, and the game is supposed to have more dialogue than ever before. I am interested to see what they do with the Shenhau conversations in particular.

The throw moves definitely was due to uncertainty revolving around funding, I remember him saying that clear as day, yes in a interview. I remember him also saying he couldn't add as much detail as he wanted, but I don't think he said some NPCs can't be normally talked to at all because of it.

Back