Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

As far as I remember, Yu Suzuki showed the entire script to Cedric Biscay, I wonder if he is still involved in some way with the saga and trying to keep the saga alive.. Sometimes I think I would be glad If they made a book telling the story of Shenmue If they can't continue making the games. We need a closure!

I don't think the Shenmue series will stop even when Yu Suzuki retires. He must have shown the script to many other people he worked with. Of course, it's important that he helps out and creates as many games as he can before he retires.

I can't wait for the future of the series to finally be revealed, so we fans know what to do next. If nowdays is impossible to create a Shenmue game that can be profitable, times may changed in the future and who knows what will happen after four/five years...

Meanwhile we can create kickstarter for Anime season 2 or novel or manga... Or even some retroinspired small games. The story can be revealed in different ways than the games... at least for now. That doesn't meat that the game can't be made in the future when the times are better for this kind of games.

I'd love an interview with Yu where he lays the cards on the table and discusses what can be done outside of gaming. Outside of a novelized version of the story, it would be great to release an artbook with all the materials from the series over the years. (Scripts, unreleased art, sketches, storyboards...)

a bit of a random thought but i think its funny how avatar fans and even the avatar film actors are running into the same problem with the shenmue series.. the long wait for the ending.

apparently avatar 5 has been pushed back and is set to come out in 2031 and even zoe saldaña ( one of the main stars of the film) is quoted as saying "great! i'm gonna be 53 when the last movie comes out" lol

a bit of a random thought but i think its funny how avatar fans and even the avatar film actors are running into the same problem with the shenmue series.. the long wait for the ending.

apparently avatar 5 has been pushed back and is set to come out in 2031 and even zoe saldaña ( one of the main stars of the film) is quoted as saying "great! i'm gonna be 53 when the last movie comes out" lol

At least Avatar fans know what the plan is….

At least Avatar fans know what the plan is….
And do we not? We're getting closer to Yu-san statements for next year. Read carefully his Light AI keywords interview, how obviously he's restraining from telling details of what he plans but hints something warm and kind, almost quoting. My bet: This time he will reveal far more than before.
Another topic its liking or not his procedure with keywords and scarce info and media. I like it, its old school minded, badass imo. Then something like Air Twister or Shenmue 3 its pulled out like a rabbit from a magician hat.
People from western industry like John Romero (Daikatana aside) are from that mindset too.

Spending our energy into bringing now, because we need, because now, Shenmue's closure into a novel or anime will have harm potential for getting a closure at all. Will Shenmue survive YS? That I can't know, but if YS gets hasted and burned and he retires in all his own right forget about Shenmue for a long long time.

Call me a nail, stubborm or what you good people like. Its true but I geniouly think its for Yu Suzuki's and Shenmue's good.

~Die Ende~

And do we not? We're getting closer to Yu-san statements for next year. Read carefully his Light AI keywords interview, how obviously he's restraining from telling details of what he plans but hints something warm and kind, almost quoting. My bet: This time he will reveal far more than before.
Another topic its liking or not his procedure with keywords and scarce info and media. I like it, its old school minded, badass imo. Then something like Air Twister or Shenmue 3 its pulled out like a rabbit from a magician hat.
People from western industry like John Romero (Daikatana aside) are from that mindset too.

Spending our energy into bringing now, because we need, because now, Shenmue's closure into a novel or anime will have harm potential for getting a closure at all. Will Shenmue survive YS? That I can't know, but if YS gets hasted and burned and he retires in all his own right forget about Shenmue for a long long time.

Call me a nail, stubborm or what you good people like. Its true but I geniouly think its for Yu Suzuki's and Shenmue's good.

~Die Ende~
Yes, we have some very vague ideas of what the plan is as of points in time (and not many points). Things change quickly in life and business. Comparing Yu-san’s style to others that withhold info until last minute doesn’t really work in Shenmue’s case. We dedicated fans have been waiting 24 years for the concrete plan. We helped bring this back to life. All I am asking for is an honest assessment of where it is at, good or bad.

Yu seems very sincere in his desire to finish the series. Everything I have seen of him has shown he seems very kind and caring of this franchise and the fans. We are not going to keep enough fans or generate new interest with no mentions, etc. If he really wants to finish this in games, he needs to keep the Shenmue name out there as much as possible in my opinion. Otherwise, if he finishes this 15-20 years from now or passes it off to someone else to finish even further down the road, who will be left to care? That should be a big concern.

We dedicated fans have been waiting 24 years for the concrete plan. We helped bring this back to life. All I am asking for is an honest assessment of where it is at, good or bad.
I believe sincerily we had been at the edge of getting that assesment a few times now, but different events outside Ys.net charge has made that sweet occasion put on hang.
When I imagine how could it be Shenmue 4 I get shivers, and also get knot in throat if I don't get the purofying shower. Aya, ayaya
Did you knew that Hot dogs Tom is based on Yu Suzuki's chilling "I got it all under control" attitude? No because its madeup. #LetsGetShenmue4

I’ve always been dead against the story being concluded in any medium other than video games. At this point, though, I do find myself wondering whether wrapping it up with a short manga series would really be such a bad thing. It would be bittersweet, for sure, but at least we’d all have some sort of closure (and I include Yu in that “we”).

I’ve always been dead against the story being concluded in any medium other than video games. At this point, though, I do find myself wondering whether wrapping it up with a short manga series would really be such a bad thing. It would be bittersweet, for sure, but at least we’d all have some sort of closure (and I include Yu in that “we”).
As much as I want games to finish the story I’m about ready for manga or something. I just hope Yu knows when he has exhausted all realistic options and makes the call to find another medium.

I think it’s somewhat similar to American McGee recently announcing he’s done with the Alice series after trying to make a third game for several years. He did a final pitch this year and EA balked at it. And props to him he cut bait and said he was done.

Whatever they do, it will still be good at a time when nothing else is possible.

Imagine 6 books full of details that are skipped in the games. Оne book for a Boat chapter, one book for baisha... At the very least, these releases will be an invaluable aid to any future video games. In the past I thought it was a bad idea for Animation to overtake games, but nowadays i'm more like "Why not". Everything helps.

I'm now totally on board with seeing Shenmuе as a game made for the masses as well. I'm sure the amazing mod community will tweak it to look more like the old games. I am ready to accept anything, as long as things move forward. Keep up the buzz about the game and maybe one day we'll see it finished in game format.

As much as I want games to finish the story I’m about ready for manga or something. I just hope Yu knows when he has exhausted all realistic options and makes the call to find another medium.

I think it’s somewhat similar to American McGee recently announcing he’s done with the Alice series after trying to make a third game for several years. He did a final pitch this year and EA balked at it. And props to him he cut bait and said he was done.

I think the difference here is that EA own the IP and won't do anything with it, they won't even license it out to McGee so that he can make a new Alice with his own studio. They'd rather keep it and let it waste away.
SEGA have allowed Yu to use the Shenmue license. It's just all about funding.
This is most likely why Yu hasn't given up on it. He knows the fans still care and SEGA have been helpful enough to let him carry on.

I think the difference here is that EA own the IP and won't do anything with it, they won't even license it out to McGee so that he can make a new Alice with his own studio. They'd rather keep it and let it waste away.
SEGA have allowed Yu to use the Shenmue license. It's just all about funding.
This is most likely why Yu hasn't given up on it. He knows the fans still care and SEGA have been helpful enough to let him carry on.
Yeah, the comparison wasn’t perfect. I just mean coming to an impasse.

I'll always prefer to end the saga as a game rather than other format but, If a game wasn't possible, my second option would be in anime format or a dense book where you can emphasise the story and the characters.

They could extend the story as much as they want since making a saga in books is cheap and split the saga in three books for instance. Opening, main and ending.

Having said that, I pray to god that Yo will be able to end the saga in game format as soon as he can.

I'm now totally on board with seeing Shenmuе as a game made for the masses as well. I'm sure the amazing mod community will tweak it to look more like the old games. I am ready to accept anything, as long as things move forward. Keep up the buzz about the game and maybe one day we'll see it finished in game format.
Can you lift me up that board too? After time passing and checking over and over how Shenmue turned from the real niche S1 to the more action packed S2, and simulator sandbox approach (I couldn't come with better for defining S3) changed my view on the matter. Its not the drama I figured, because YS.net pros know how to rebalance things.

Release the rest of the story in any form Yu, you owe it to us.

If the story continuation even exists, that is.

Back