Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Again, there are no indications and attention teasers for Shenmue 4, but I will be watching the Dojo gamescom stream tonight. :)

So.. just so I'm up to speed, is this a live stream and taking place right now?

Little Nightmares 3... nice. Yu Suzuki turned me on to LN2.

Its looking like MTV Awkards. Why this amount of protagonism to fancy dressed people? The games FGS! I hope Matt yells 'Byeee!" once more.

If I ever need help falling asleep, I'll just watch a recording of Gamescom opening night 2023.

Last edited:
What did I just watched? Summary: next stop... The space... Da future.
I kept on exclusive for our dojo hosts. Wasn't really expecting SIV but at least a bit of thrill, something.

Anyone else feel like gaming has become complete crap of late?

I want Shenmue IV to be a reality, because it's clear from the resounding success of God of War, Stray, Baldur's Gate III, etc. that people REALLY want some good single player games.

I understand Shenmue isn't in the same AAA fold, but man..

I'm tired of Battle Passes, overbearing monetization, etc.

I think this year is out in terms of a Shenmue 4 announcement. 2023 looks to be the year of the Air Twister ports only.

TGS, TGAs and whatever event Sony decides to put on, which probably won't be until after Spider Man releases.

I don't see anything for Shenmue IV coming this year.

At least one thing is clear. Ysnet lost the momentum and it took them long time. I always thought that an announcement in the second year and a new game in the third was the best thing for Shenmue 4. We're already going into year 4 and there's not even an announcement. Even if the game is active development right now, there was definitely an issue at some point. (Change of publisher or something like that) There were definitely some issues that we may find out about in the future. Failed deals and more. Let's hope that the game is being worked on right now and that's why everyone is dead silent. :) Silence definitely means something.

On the other hand, Death Stranding (a game that came out in the same month as Shenmue 3 in 2019) also has almost no information at all. At least Death Stranding 2 has announcement. Maybe it's normal nowadays for a game to be made for 4 years without even one big trailer. I was really hoping to see something new about Kojima's game on gamescom. It's not easy even for the big companies I guess... Or they're saving the new trailer for a bigger event like Game Awards 2023...

Forget about any western showcase for it. Japan seeks to step up and under these kind of absurd ceremonies, they won't. This year Gamescom was a mirror reflection of past year's, same its gonna be with Microsoft Game Awards. The showrunner is the same, the main tag "celebrating our 10 years" is the same, and the format interrupting game presentations for boring scripted interviews where everyone is superexcited of being there, bringing the ultimate experience is also the same. The western has stalled like Japan previously did at the end of the 2000s.

Another reading from Gamescom is "Lets stick with indie devs" imo.

Last edited:
At least one thing is clear. Ysnet lost the momentum and it took them long time. I always thought that an announcement in the second year and a new game in the third was the best thing for Shenmue 4. We're already going into year 4 and there's not even an announcement.

A game needs funding/budget. If YSNet didn't have that, then they are going to lose momentum.
As you said, it could be a change of publisher, deals falling through etc.
No news is good news is a saying I like to adhere to; it could be worse, we could be told by Yu himself that "Shenmue 4 is not going to happen". As long as his heart is in it, there's a chance.

Yesterday was the opening ceremony, tonight we have 19h30 - 22h00 : Future games Show (world premier and new trailers) and 20h00 - 21h00 : Awesome indie

Death Stranding 2 will be at TGAs, because Keighley and Kojima do stuff there all the time.

Sony supposedly has a second showcase this year, but we shall see. We don't know a lot about their 2024 slate and they tend to focus on Spider-Man 2 for now.

TGAs won't show Shenmue. Supposedly this year's Tokyo Game Show is pretty big, so maybe something will happen there. I still think 2024 is our biggest hope.

Now I believe we have Shenmue4 on TGS
Don't get your hopes too much, personally I believe the first we're gonna hear is from Yu Suzuki himself at end of year. This time his declarations will be less open to decypher, he will blink an eye to his fans by giving further developed info about the state of things . Then at some point of 2024, he will go roge and announce it.
Also personally, I want a bit of Yu-san good ol trolling. Like saying in interview "There's a playable demo, but its at my other house". I like that.

Back