Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Curious, what gives you this impression?
Yu has said previously about Shenmue III that he would have preferred to reveal it close to completion rather than the drip-drip-drip because of being on Kickstarter. If he's planning to announce something later this year, I'm presuming a 2023 release which I'm not really sure would be the case if it were Shenmue IV? Plus the aforementioned reasons of wanting to see how the anime pans out.

I've said it before. I think not working on shenmue 4 now would kinda be a mistake.
We don't know that they're not, tbh. It's quite possible YsNet has another project while Shenmue IV gets an extended prototype phase in the background with a small core team. Studios tend to have a lot of irons in the fire so they're not without a project for long.

Even if they got a yes based on their 2020 pitch and Yu got his wish to bring the anime staff onto the project, you're still waiting a year or more for these people to free up, so taking on a side project isn't that strange or particularly detrimental to any Shenmue IV that may or may not be in development.

Well, that interview basically confirms S4 is not in development, the anime is our only hope to finish the story.
Not really. Whether it's in development or not, he's not going to let the cat out the bag in an interview and deflate any impact a real announcement would make.

Even if they were told "no" to their 2020 pitch, the anime succeeding might change that to a "yes" if/when they take a second run at it. But overall it's inconclusive in the same way it has been for two years, so no real change.

I mean the interview has lot of “if” and “i would like to”, which is exactly the same situation pre kickstarter.

There are a lot of things between “i would like to” and an announcement, he could have said that they are in talks about it, but he didnt, and its been 2 years and a half since S3 release.

But anyone is free to believe what they want i guess 🤷‍♂️

I can see Shenmue IV being announced with a release date within a year or so of announcement. And I agree that if something else was to be made, I reckon it would be a much smaller title just to keep the creative fires burning.

I think the industry and consumers are wary of games being announced years before their eventual release. Many gamers are entitled, bitter and angry (Shenmue III had no choice in this respect being a Kickstarter), so can see this being the main reason why nothing has been said yet. Lost Judgment was announced and released within a 6-8 month window, so think that's the best case scenario going forward.

I'm sure Yu Suzuki couldn't just confirm the game is development unless it was 100% self published. If there happens to be a S4 publisher then they would likely have some sort of NDA in place.

That's not suggesting that the silence means the game is in development, either, but there's not really any benefit to announcing it when it's not ready. My hope is that there's a core team in pre-production and then the full production gets greenlight when the anime season is over.

Yu would also say 'I would like to make the next Shenmue game if given the chance' in interviews right before Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 2015. In fact, he had been in talks with Sony about Shenmue 3 since March 2014.

I don't think he'd confirm it was right now, even if it was until it was ready to be shown off.

Given the the fun and games around the Kickstarter I'm all for it being held back until 100% ready.
You know, this is a good reason why they might be holding off from telling us much at the moment, even if it is in development. While they had to keep us updated in the early development stages of Shenmue 3 cuz Kickstarter and whatnot, the updates were met with such scrutiny each time an updated was posted. I remember when a lot of people were complaining about a lack of eye movement in characters in one update, for example, and a month or so later the team went out of their way to show eye movement to appease the baying mob.

I think holding off until 100% ready is very possible based on how S3 was judged in the early development stages. The series has a lot of haters who will be quick to poison the minds of newbies to the series if Yu puts out an underwhelming presentation of the game.

On a side note: I get a random background picture on my laptop every day when I'm set to log in. Look what I got the other day!

shenmue 3.png

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is. ;)

Yu Suzuki's response to literally everything is "If I get the chance, id like to make it"

Interviewer - "Hello Yu Suzuki"

Yu Suzuki - "If i get the chance, id like to make it"

Interviewer - "How's the family doing?"

Interviewer - "Are you hungry?"

Interviewer "Thanks for the interview. Have a nice day"

Interviewer "........."

Yu would also say 'I would like to make the next Shenmue game if given the chance' in interviews right before Shenmue 3 was announced at E3 2015. In fact, he had been in talks with Sony about Shenmue 3 since March 2014.
Yep. Same reason why it's inconclusive now.

Either he's telling the truth and it's not happening yet, or it is and he can't let the cat out of the bag in any old interview. It's no different to how things have been for the last two years, but with the caveat that Yu has openly said he plans to announce his next game by the end of this year.

The idea of 110 funding IV / a new YS game has stuck with me since that presentation, this seems like at least some sort of confirmation they're working together on something no??
It’s the second time they’ve responded like that to a msg about YS and Shenmue 4. First was me a few weeks ago on Twitter.

Of course. Just social media. Still kind of interesting they even bother acknowledging the idea.That shot does look pretty cool, too. Maybe Ys is consulting on the game. They’ve got to be up to something with him. That TGS appearance was weird.

Back