Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

For the record if a concept of Shenmue 0 exist I pray to God its after Shenmue 4&5. We gotta focus on finishing what we started first. Shenmue 0 would also spoil many of the answers we are looking forward to finding out in Shenmue 4&5.
Shenmue 0 could technically provide many answers if it was set in the late 60s with a young Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sun Ming.

The big story reveal could be that Iwao and Zhao had a broke back mountain style love affair in Meng Cun because they were always getting sweaty together and Lan Dis mother got mad and killed Zhao.

You mean only investor lol. I’m guessing $1-2M
Technically Sony did chuck in 'some' money but less than Shibuya. I expect Sony supported things like dev kits etc.

Technically Sony did chuck in 'some' money but less than Shibuya. I expect Sony supported things like dev kits etc.
Sony made over $1 Billion in Net income in 2015. Enough profits to fund Shenmue 3 50 times over.

They only saw fit to fling some spare change at YSNet but at least it was something.

Was that confirmed? I always assumed that "we're supporting Yu Suzuki" line that many youtubers/influencers and the games media picked up on, had been taken out of context. I thought Sony had meant it like "we're rooting for him" (or at best would give them some free marketing). rather than they had actually financially supported him. Whereas the controversy seeking youtubers and press went with the "it must be a scam, Sony have already funded it" 2+2=5 stories.

It's interesting if they did provide some level of tangible support.

Was that confirmed? I always assumed that "we're supporting Yu Suzuki" line that many youtubers/influencers and the games media picked up on, had been taken out of context. I thought Sony had meant it like "we're rooting for him" (or at best would give them some free marketing). rather than they had actually financially supported him. Whereas the controversy seeking youtubers and press went with the "it must be a scam, Sony have already funded it" 2+2=5 stories.

It's interesting if they did provide some level of tangible support.
As far as I'm aware it was 3rd party support + publishing and there was some level of money towards that. However that may have reduced massively when Deep Silver came onboard.

By no means were they the largest investor or had funded it all in its entirety as was peddled by the media at the time.

The issue came from a lack of clarity early in the kickstarter.

As far as I'm aware it was 3rd party support + publishing and there was some level of money towards that. However that may have reduced massively when Deep Silver came onboard.

By no means were they the largest investor or had funded it all in its entirety as was peddled by the media at the time.

The issue came from a lack of clarity early in the kickstarter.
Sony would have pulled BACK their financial support when Deep Silver came on?

I really hope that we get a Shenmue 3 accounting audit and post mortem to really find out what happened behind the scenes.

I suspect there are a lot of unknown unknowns when it comes to S3 development.

Sony would have pulled BACK their financial support when Deep Silver came on?

I really hope that we get a Shenmue 3 accounting audit and post mortem to really find out what happened behind the scenes.

I suspect there are a lot of unknown unknowns when it comes to S3 development.
I don't think we'll ever get to know the true accounts of it only that the total budget inc marketing, fulfilling kickstarter rewards etc was $20m.

A post mortem is something I've tried to explore but not got off the ground. I expect that might happen if we get the series finished or the game series is officially dead.

I don't think we'll ever get to know the true accounts of it only that the total budget inc marketing, fulfilling kickstarter rewards etc was $20m.

A post mortem is something I've tried to explore but not got off the ground. I expect that might happen if we get the series finished or the game series is officially dead.
It would have been cool if YS Net had announced that instead of fulfilling the Kickstarter rewards he would use the money saved to put Baisha in the game.

There probably would have been a fan mutiny and lawsuits from the big money backers but ultimately that would have been best for the game.

Shenmue 3 is only on Playstation console, they never released it on Xbox, so I think Sony must give a good amount of money otherwise I really don't understand the deal between Sony and Ysnet.

Shenmue 3 is only on Playstation console, they never released it on Xbox, so I think Sony must give a good amount of money otherwise I really don't understand the deal between Sony and Ysnet.

I believe Sony role was helping with publishing and advertising. They also let you use their stage for the reveal.

I believe Sony role was helping with publishing and advertising. They also let you use their stage for the reveal.
I think that's not enough for a lifetime shenmue exclusivity. And they didn't helped a lot with advertising after E3 imo. If ysnet accepted to give shenmue 3's exclusivity just for this, then idk what to think honestly.

After the announcement of Sega re releasing old ips in the future there may be hope for Sega to possibly revisit Shenmue. The more I think about this it's highly unlikely this is the case. It's been 4 years and we have made 0 progress. The longer we wait even Kickstarter won't be a viable option. Deep down I believe Sega wants to do something with Shenmue but they have been so financially decimated they have no tolerance for risks. After losing as much as Sega has new business strategies and models have to be adapted. Just my opinion either we attempt another Kickstarter in the next 2 years or Sega sells out to Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony and gains new funding to take more risks with ips.

Deep down I think Sega is trying to us but even their hands are tied. Every business decision has to be highly scrutinized.

If someday i win in the lottery i will go to Yu's office and throw my money for him like this, so if he wants he will be able to develop Shenmue IV, Shenmue V, Shenmue 0, Shenmue Fighter, Shenmue III Director's cut edition with Baisha.

Shenmue I & II Remake, Iwao's Spin off, Guizhang's Spin Off, Lan Di's spin off, Joy's Spin Off, Shenhua's spin off, Xiuying's spin-off, Fuku-san spin-off, Air Twister 2, Shenmue Live Action, Shenmue The Animation Season 2, Shenmue The Manga, Live Spectacle ~ Shenmue ~ Shenmue Book series, etc. 🫶💗😘

humbled-trader-money-rain.gifthrowing-money-icegif-2.gif

If someday i win in the lottery i will go to Yu's office and throw my money for him like this, so if he wants he will be able to develop Shenmue IV, Shenmue V, Shenmue 0, Shenmue Fighter, Shenmue III Director's cut edition with Baisha.

Shenmue I & II Remake, Iwao's Spin off, Guizhang's Spin Off, Lan Di's spin off, Joy's Spin Off, Shenhua's spin off, Xiuying's spin-off, Fuku-san spin-off, Air Twister 2, Shenmue Live Action, Shenmue The Animation Season 2, Shenmue The Manga, Live Spectacle ~ Shenmue ~ Shenmue Book series, etc. 🫶💗😘

And then Yu Suzuki takes the money and buys a vineyard and a villa and retires.

Where is Goro’s spin off?

Where is Goro’s spin off?

Goro's spin off, Mark's Spin-off, Nozomi's spin-off, Ren's spin-off, Niao Sun's spin-off, Chai's spin-off, Fangmei's spin-off, Ine-san spin-off, Megumi's spin-off, Mimi's spin-off, etc.

No, i'm not joking, to me the Shenmue characters are so different and unique that they all deserve a side story, Joseph do a wonderful job creating new Shenmue stories like the Megumi Grows Up episode.

I have many ideas for new Shenmue stories and projects.
Would be so nice a Lan Di's spin-off, i think it would be so interesting seeing the entire Shenmue story through Lan Di's eyes, to learn more about his past and so much more, to me Lan Di is not the real villain, to me Lan Di was probably a victim of The Chi You Men, probably Tentei.

I hope we can learn more about Lan Di's story in Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Back