Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Would be so nice a Lan Di's spin-off, i think it would be so interesting seeing the entire Shenmue story through Lan Di's eyes, to learn more about his past and so much more, to me Lan Di is not the real villain, to me Lan Di was probably a victim of The Chi You Men, probably Tentei.

I hope we can learn more about Lan Di's story in Shenmue IV.

I also think that out of the four leaders of the Chi Yu Men, Lan Di is going to turn out to be... how should I say... Maybe the least bad guy. It's like he's following some code of honor. Of course we are talking about very bad people here. All 4 of them won't think twice about killing to achieve their goals...

But Ren is also a bad guy, maybe he killed too, who knows. :)

It's wild as hell to me that we're actually about to get a Streets of Rage 5 before a new Shenmue game lol.
We got Shenmue 3 before a new Streets of Rage game. Fortunately Streets of Rage 4 was a good game that sold well, which is why it's getting a sequel.

It's wild to me too that Sega can never just find something that works and stick with it.
They chose Yakuza over Shenmue, they seem to be sticking to that...

Streets of Rage is low risk, low budget and legacy IP that old school gamers will buy off pure nostalgia. I was Sega would do a Streets of Rage type Shenmue beat em up focused on Shenmue 1&2. It would be a low risk venture, cheap and keeping the brand going.
There are a lot of ways to make Shenmue lower budget and from everything that I understand about Suzuki, he has never been interested in that.

Yeah, Yakuza is something they have been very consistent with, although they did switch to turn based combat, which was quite a radical change.... With other IPs they seem to constantly be trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just finding a formula that works and sticking with it for a while. Sonic is a perfect example of that really.

Yeah, Yakuza is something they have been very consistent with, although they did switch to turn based combat, which was quite a radical change.... With other IPs they seem to constantly be trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just finding a formula that works and sticking with it for a while. Sonic is a perfect example of that really.
That's part of the reason why I am so critical of Sega's treatment of Shenmue to this day. I have no problems with them making as many Yakuza games as they please, because outside of Shenmue those are my favorite games to play. My issue is that they could easily use a modified version that RGG engine to make multiple Shenmue games if they wanted to.

YS did the best he could with what he had for Shenmue III. But I don't blame him for sticking to his guns for wanted a higher budget that would meet the minimum expectations for a quality S4. Having the game developed internally at Sega would have shored up some very glaring issues that Shenmue 3 had, especially the writing and cinematography. Both of which RGG does very well imo.

Over time I became much more forgiving of Shenmue III's lack of story and some of its shortcomings when I realized that Shenmue III ultimately achieved exactly what it was trying to do, which was get Ryo out of that cave.

The variables for Shenmue 4 need to be different if it were to be successful and IMO the only way that can happen is if YS can truly leverage the resources at Sega to make the game.

TLDR: All roads lead to SEGA

We got Shenmue 3 before a new Streets of Rage game. Fortunately Streets of Rage 4 was a good game that sold well, which is why it's getting a sequel.

There are a lot of ways to make Shenmue lower budget and from everything that I understand about Suzuki, he has never been interested in that.

Shenmue is a Sega IP though so even if Yu isn't interested they could still do it. A Shenmue beat em up based off Shenmue 1&2 wouldn't tarnish anything it would bring in new revenue and keep the audience engaged.

That's part of the reason why I am so critical of Sega's treatment of Shenmue to this day. I have no problems with them making as many Yakuza games as they please, because outside of Shenmue those are my favorite games to play. My issue is that they could easily use a modified version that RGG engine to make multiple Shenmue games if they wanted to.

YS did the best he could with what he had for Shenmue III. But I don't blame him for sticking to his guns for wanted a higher budget that would meet the minimum expectations for a quality S4. Having the game developed internally at Sega would have shored up some very glaring issues that Shenmue 3 had, especially the writing and cinematography. Both of which RGG does very well imo.

Over time I became much more forgiving of Shenmue III's lack of story and some of its shortcomings when I realized that Shenmue III ultimately achieved exactly what it was trying to do, which was get Ryo out of that cave.

The variables for Shenmue 4 need to be different if it were to be successful and IMO the only way that can happen is if YS can truly leverage the resources at Sega to make the game.

TLDR: All roads lead to SEGA

If all roads lead to Sega we may be done for. Sega hasn't shown us any support. Sega has only given us a remaster after we funded a new game.

Well now we know that we will probably never going to get another E3 big stage Shenmue surprise scenario.
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has officially stated that E3 is dead.
The revival attempts didnt work out and now its officially over.
So we actually witnessed a once in a lifetime event with the Shenmue 3 big stage announcement.

That being said, there are still events left like Gamescom Opening and The Game Awards.
I'm watching all of these events every year but to be honest, none of them were able to reach
that E3 feeling for me. I'm not a fan of all these seperate shows and streams nowadays.

These two thoughts are in direct opposition. The only chance Sega (or any other publisher, for that matter) had to take another look at Shenmue was with Shenmue 3. Surely Suzuki knew that he wasn't just taking a risk on one sequel, but the future of the series. Its failure cannot be overstated.

Shenmue is a Sega IP though so even if Yu isn't interested they could still do it. A Shenmue beat em up based off Shenmue 1&2 wouldn't tarnish anything it would bring in new revenue and keep the audience engaged.
I wholeheartedly agree with you and this (or some form of stripped down RPG) is probably the best/only way forward. But we're talking indie-level production here with a fanbase that is already fractured and nowhere close to in agreement on which concessions to make.

How is it four years later and we know nothing about the performance of Shenmue 3? We see stats all the time of weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly sales. I know we assume that Shenmue 3 didn't do well but we don't know that for a fact. What we know for a fact is the anime did well and still got canned. Is it the recession and budgeting has gotten tighter or is there no meat left on the perverbial Shenmue bone? I feel like we have the right to know what's going with this series.

How is it four years later and we know nothing about the performance of Shenmue 3? We see stats all the time of weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly sales. I know we assume that Shenmue 3 didn't do well but we don't know that for a fact. What we know for a fact is the anime did well and still got canned. Is it the recession and budgeting has gotten tighter or is there no meat left on the perverbial Shenmue bone? I feel like we have the right to know what's going with this series.

Most of the time, whenever a studio or publisher posts sales numbers,
its because the studio / publisher knows that these numbers are awesome.
They want you to notice it. But there are still dozens and dozens and dozens of games
where you actually wont hear a single word about the sales numbers.
Of course any publisher that sold like 3-10 million copies in one month is going to announce that,
but probably 70, 80% of all the other normal releases wont post any sales numbers.

For example Sega doesnt post international Yakuza sales numbers on their Twitter or whatever.
Even companies like Square Enix dont post sales numbers for every of their games.
And for example Shenmue 3 is not a exception when it comes to the catalog of Deep Silver
because Deep Silver only reports on surprisingly good sales numbers like 2 mil. +
So even if Shenmue 3 would hit like 700.000 sales or whatever, they probably wouldnt post anything about it.
We will never know how many copies Deep Silver really sold.
Probably not enough to get them interested in funding Shenmue 4.
Exactly how Shenmue 1 & 2 probably didnt make enough to get Sega interested in funding Shenmue 3.

Back