Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Also it seems that Shenmue may be selling in the same ballpark of the older Yakuza titles. Yakuza has been give chance time and time again to establish the market dominance they now enjoy. Sega could easily use some Dragon engine resources and other things to give Shenmue a chance but that are unwilling. Shenmue has a market just not AAA console selling market.

We did pay for Shenmue 3, if not for lightning in a bottle kickstarter fad we'd still be waiting for S3.

I won't even go into the Save Shenmue Shrine anymore as the celebratory vibe in there is cringe af now knowing we never actually "saved" Shenmue.

Hopefully we can crowd fund another few mil for S3 or Sega will "reinvent" the game in their new classic releases.

Last edited:
"Hogwarts Legacy and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in a neck-in-neck battle for annual bestseller"

Ouch. Gamers really do have terrible tastes.

I am shocked Alan Wake 2 didn't do better and is considered a "flop".

We did pay for Shenmue 3, if not for lightning in a bottle kickstarter fad we'd still be waiting for S3.

I won't even go into the Save Shenmue Shrine anymore as the celebratory vibe in there is cringe af now knowing we never actually "saved" Shenmue.

Hopefully we can crowd fund another few mil for S3 or Sega will "reinvent" the game in their new classic releases.

We did Save Shenmue. The original Kickstarter goal was 2mil we blew past that in less than 9hrs. Since then we had anime, re releases, documentary, Phoenix & Dragon is being developed and Shenmue World magazine. I know we're back in limbo again but it ain't from a lack of trying or money. We can't do everything ourselves.

When all is said and done I hope they do S3 post morteum so we get some hard facts and figures.
We need to find out who decided to cut Baisha and instead divert resources into expanding Niaowu and Bailu. YS decision or Ryan Peyton? I know they argued about scope.

We also need to know what was originally intended for the ending. What was going to happen in Baisha and how much of the Old Castle was cut?

Last edited:
We did Save Shenmue. The original Kickstarter goal was 2mil we blew past that in less than 9hrs. Since then we had anime, re releases, documentary, Phoenix & Dragon is being developed and Shenmue World magazine. I know we're back in limbo again but it ain't from a lack of trying or money. We can't do everything ourselves.
We never saved Shenmue.

Imagine if you saw someone drowning and threw them a life preserver but two minutes later the life preserver was lost and the person started drowning again.... that's not saving that's just slightly extending life.

We never saved Shenmue.

Imagine if you saw someone drowning and threw them a life preserver but two minutes later the life preserver was lost and the person started drowning again.... that's not saving that's just slightly extending life.

I could agree with you if we barely made it to our 2mil Kickstarter goal or didn't reach it at all. Or if the anime performed very poorly. I know Shenmue we never be GOTY or a console mover but there is a market and enough to finish the series. Another thing hurting else is being on the 4th installment it's hard to get a audience to jump in on the 4th game your just so far behind. It's gonna take or small community to carry past the finish line.

We saved Shenmue and that Ys Net dropped the ball and now it needs saving again.

I don't think YSNet dropped the ball it was a combination of things. Firstly, people were going around saying that Sony was a partner on Shenmue 3 so we just need to reach the goal and Sony will do the rest. That hurt us. The anti Epic Games rant hurt us. If I can't play it on Steam day 1 I don't want it. That hurt us. The cutting of Baisha and that poss poor ending I believe somebody corporate reached in and took a substantial piece of the pie from the budget. I'd like to think Yu would've been on top of what could've been accomplished. Remember at some point they released announcement saying that all stretch goal were met and thus was the game Yu wanted to make. Something happened that we aren't privy to.

I could agree with you if we barely made it to our 2mil Kickstarter goal or didn't reach it at all. Or if the anime performed very poorly. I know Shenmue we never be GOTY or a console mover but there is a market and enough to finish the series. Another thing hurting else is being on the 4th installment it's hard to get a audience to jump in on the 4th game your just so far behind. It's gonna take or small community to carry past the finish line.
If we "saved" Shenmue why do we have to save Shenmue again?

We never saved Shenmue we just extended its life support long enough to get Shenmue 3.

At the end of the day your more right than me Shenmue 4 isn't in development.
Only hope for a miracle that Sega will do something with Shenmue.

When will we hear from YS?

I don't want to hear anymore milquetoast interviews with him saying "I'd like to make it if I have the opportunity... blah blah blah"

We gave $7 Million of our hard earned money and have a right to know exactly where the future of the series stands.

We gave $7 Million of our hard earned money and have a right to know exactly where the future of the series stands.
I totally agree and it's crazy to think that S3 was made without somehow securing the future of the series, at least some kind of "plan B".

When will we hear from YS?
It's been 4 years, I highly doubt he's just going to decide to be forthcoming all of a sudden.

I don't think YSNet dropped the ball it was a combination of things. Firstly, people were going around saying that Sony was a partner on Shenmue 3 so we just need to reach the goal and Sony will do the rest. That hurt us. The anti Epic Games rant hurt us. If I can't play it on Steam day 1 I don't want it. That hurt us. The cutting of Baisha and that poss poor ending I believe somebody corporate reached in and took a substantial piece of the pie from the budget. I'd like to think Yu would've been on top of what could've been accomplished. Remember at some point they released announcement saying that all stretch goal were met and thus was the game Yu wanted to make. Something happened that we aren't privy to.
At the end of the day, none of this matters in terms of sales. S3 came out and it was covered by most major streamers, YouTubers, and press outlets. If they thought it was a good game then things would be different. If the consensus was "Suzuki learned a lot in the last 20 years and Shenmue has been perfectly updated for both existing fans and modern audiences" then we'd likely be playing Shenmue 4 right now.

We need to find out who decided to cut Baisha and instead divert resources into expanding Niaowu and Bailu. YS decision or Ryan Peyton? I know they argued about scope.

We also need to know what was originally intended for the ending. What was going to happen in Baisha and how much of the Old Castle was cut?
I reckon that was a publisher/YSNET decision. They were working on Baisha as early at 2016.

I reckon that was a publisher/YSNET decision. They were working on Baisha as early at 2016.
Baisha was to be the most important part of Shenmue 3. It was prioritized over Niaowu and Bailu. Makes sense that the last area of the game should be the highest quality.

Cutting Baisha hurt Shenmue 3 that no amount of mini games in Niaowu could make up for.

I do like Niaowu a lot it's the most beautiful area in the entire series. I like that while Bailu sort of feels like S1, Niaowu has a little S2 vibe. I really wish they gave Shenhua more to do in Niaowu though she's just baggage. Baisha was going to be where the best part of Shenmue 3 was.

Last edited:
I’m sure it’s been discussed to death but they should focus on moving the story forward and minimize all of the side activities if given a chance to make another game. When Shenmue came out that open world type stuff was novel but now it’s commonplace. Shenmue 1 and 2 had a fantastic sense of progression and I always felt like I was getting closer to Lan Di. Shenmue 3 felt like I was just going through the motions.

I’m sure it’s been discussed to death but they should focus on moving the story forward and minimize all of the side activities if given a chance to make another game. When Shenmue came out that open world type stuff was novel but now it’s commonplace. Shenmue 1 and 2 had a fantastic sense of progression and I always felt like I was getting closer to Lan Di. Shenmue 3 felt like I was just going through the motions.
You have to admit though, Shenmue 3 is more "fun" to play than 1 or 2. All the mini games shops and searching for Chobu Chans. Lots to do in the world.

But yeah, we just need the Shenmue story at this point.

Also we did get "closer" to Lan Di, we literally fought him and I actually got a hit on him once.

Last edited:
You have to admit though, Shenmue 3 is more "fun" to play than 1 or 2. All the mini games shops and searching for Chobu Chans. Lots to do in the world.

But yeah, we just need the Shenmue story at this point.

Also we did get "closer" to Lan Di, we literally fought him and I actually got a hit on him once.
I don’t think it was more fun. There may have been more things to do but the tasks of hunting people and places in 1 and 2 were miles better.

I did appreciate looking for Chobu-Chana. That was fun.

It wasn't even close to being more fun. Yeah, fishing was cool, looking for herbs was an interesting way of making money, some of the arcade games were interesting and looking for Chobu-chans was fun, but what I find more fun is an interesting and engaging plot, with great characters and solid pacing, like the first two games.

All the third game's plot had was 20 hours of pissing about chasing after a bunch of generic thugs who look like the Mad Angels when you order them from Wish.

Back