Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

If they really are investing $800 million there has to be something in there for Shenmue. Every list I looked at with Sega’s top IPs included Shenmue.

Thought this was interesting with all the talk about budget/funding.

iirc, Tosh said Alan Wake 2 was given a similar budget. I've seen it stated elsewhere that it sold 850k, which is a ton but obviously nowhere close to breaking even with that enormous budget. The amount of money being thrown around in this industry is insane, such a shame Shenmue IV can't even get a sliver of that.

Thought this was interesting with all the talk about budget/funding.

iirc, Tosh said Alan Wake 2 was given a similar budget. I've seen it stated elsewhere that it sold 850k, which is a ton but obviously nowhere close to breaking even with that enormous budget. The amount of money being thrown around in this industry is insane, such a shame Shenmue IV can't even get a sliver of that.
Alan Wake 2 will have a long tail which might mean that it breaks even. Though I grabbed it for £21 in the Epic sale recently

Why don’t we all travel to Sega headquarters in Japan and stage a protest?

I had actually brought the idea of a protest up outside SEGA's HQ in London (who are more likely to listen than Sega of Japan) to @spud1897 the day after Sega announced new titles of their older IPs. He thought it was something worth thinking about. We could bring our Shenmue t-shirts, coffee mugs and signs, then after pelting their office windows with eggs, finish the day up in the pub lol. Who'd be up for it?

PS: I was joking about the eggs. I was not joking about the pub afterwards.

Hell let’s START at the pub and then engage in a drunken rambunctious protest outside Sega HQ!!!!! Can you imagine the publicity?? IM IN!
YouTube:
"Shenmue Fans Iceberg EXPLAINED🧊"

"Into the Shenmue fandom rabbit hole"

"😱A Shenmue fan called me home at 3:00AM!!😱😱"

"Chased by a Shenmue fan in The Backrooms!!😱So scary!"

..I can derange more but better stopping now.

A thought: Was Dreams of Saturn made so that Yu Suzuki wouldn't have to bother with a Shenmue Zero? I'd imagine Suzuki is probably looking at it, and going, Hey, nice to see my fans did the work for me. Guess I can move on to Shenmue IV then."

We should take over the Sega HQ building! Attica! Attica! Shenmue 4! Shenmue 4!
When they say we don’t have an appointment, we say we’re delivering lunches and get in that way

Then we block the doors with our forklifts

Block their phone lines by calling over and over and saying “father’s heaven”

Mind like a polished mirror. No respite until they make the right decision

Is there any way we can officially contact SEGA and ask if they have plans for Shenmue in the near future? At least let's get confirmation from them that the series is not part of their plans for the moment.

My point is that if they are planning something, they won't say anything. But if the game is not part of their plans, why should they hide it from the fans? :) It will get worse and worse if they keep quiet.

I'm starting to hate them more and more. Even though I like some of their new games, I don't want to play them anymore. Just because of what's going on with Shenmue. If they are more transparent about it, confirming to fans that they have no plans, but are open to third-party offers, that will be received much better than silence. After all, business is business, they don't have to believe in Shenmue's success. However, being the owner of the license and not saying anything about the future.... it's not alright. I think we need some kind of statement from them. :)

Last edited:
That's the way the business works. The only thing they will say is to "keep checking SEGA.com and our social media for future game announcements", or just not respond.

Way back (probably close to, if not a decade or more) in the 2010s, then SEGA West Head Mike Hayes said they were focusing on "pillars" of the company, which at the time, were basically your Sonics, Total Wars, Football Managers, etc. At least if we go to SEGA.com now, Shenmue is listed as one of their franchises: https://www.sega.com/

It's not much, but at least we know it hasn't been written off entirely.

Back