Random Shenmue Thoughts

An interesting retrospective of Shenmue II (based on the 20 minutes i've seen so far) even if one of them is rather grumpy and the other one keeps calling Ryo "Ryu".

Last edited:
I'm having another run through of the first game and found a cut-scene I hadn't seen before. When it's time to look for sailors, I went to the MJQ Jazz Bar before it opened. Ryo knocks on the door, and the owner actually answers. He opens the door, and Ryo asks if there are any sailors around. The owner says they tend to hang out at around 9pm, and advises Ryo to come back at that time.

Here's a random thought:

I won Hang-On during my first playthrough back in Christmas 2000 when I was 12. Then on a different playthrough Space Harrier a few years after that. But I only won both only once from the raffle. I've never had the luck to win anything since.

Yeah I posted it earlier but the more exposure the Kitchen brothers get the better. This is the stuff I dreamed about as a teen watching @LanDC amazing mod videos but this takes it to another level with original music and manipulating the character models.
It amazes me how creative people in this community are.

Just a random thought: would the pre-boat Chai fight have happened if the boat chapter was included as planned? I'm 50/50 on this, one on hand Guizhang has to be injured somehow to prevent him from travelling with Ryo but on the other hand, two back to back Chai fights seem a little redundant and repetitive, especially since I'm not counting the arcade fight.

Last edited:
The other day at the Nintendo Direct, they showed many new ports to the Switch: Chrono Cross, Klonoa, and more. I think with the anime, now is the right momentum to ask for Shenmue I & II in the switch, and besides, is the perfect console for it.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL

https://twitter.com/Nintendo

Many people would discover the saga.
I expect that Nintendo wouldnā€™t be too keen to see it happen. I do think it would sell reasonably well, but weā€™re likely talking hundreds of thousands of units at best, not millions. More importantly though, the Switch is nowhere near powerful enough to run Shenmue 3 in its current state, so unless somebody is going to pay for YSNet to optimize it (which may well be beyond them), Nintendo would effectively be introducing its customers to a series that will eventually require them to switch over to PlayStation or PC to continue.

I don't think they'd see it that way...a game is a game, I don't think they'd deny it because of III not being there as well. I & II are on Xbox, after all.

I don't think they'd see it that way...a game is a game, I don't think they'd deny it because of III not being there as well. I & II are on Xbox, after all.
I dunno. It seems doubtful that Sega would be the ones preventing it from happening given how the PS4 and Xbox ports exceeded their expectations. It could just be a case of there being too much work involved to get them running on Switch, but that too seems unlikely given that itā€™s possible to play the games almost flawlessly on Switch with an emulator.

Well, SEGA are not typically known for their smart decisions. It took them that long to greenlight the rereleases in the first place. Why they're not on GOG or Epic is also questionable. I would assume whatever is stopping them is the same reason it took them so long to bring something like Valkyria Chronicles over since it did so well on PC. What is that reason? That's a good question as well...

Back