Random Shenmue Thoughts

You know, it might be weird, but I had a disc 1 that had the data read and I cleaned with alcohol and it worked without any data read errors, of course it was dirty though. Should I try this with my disc 3 and 2? They look flawless, but should I give it a try?

Doesn't hurt to try; also lightly dampen a cotton swab with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to gently clean the optical lens

Professional/industrial disc resurfacers have proliferated in most media recycle shops, as well. They were somewhat uncommon before a few years ago. Eventually I wanna invest in an Elm-USA disc repair unit when I can finally afford one. They're headquarters very nearby Chicago, too!

I tried cleaning the disc and cleaning the DC's laser, still getting data read errors. I know it's not the laser, as I have another disc 3 (the banged up one) that works flawlessly. My flawed disc looks perfect, but it still gives me errors. I'd imagine it's acting this way because of a coding error? That's my only theory. I hate this.

I had a look back at my favourite part of the first game on youtube, the search for the phoenix mirror. I forgot that Iwao had a book on constellations in the basement. It's interesting because of the importance of the importance of stars in the game. Shenhua has a similar book in her own room in Shenmue 2. Not only that but she reads the stars to predict forthcoming events (the dragon hiding the morning star in Shenmue 2's bad ending leads to Lan Di killing Ryo) and the north star flickering on the night Ryo and Shenhua spend in the cave leads to her father's disappearance/kidnap. Not to mention the prophecy's mention of the morning star and the Phoenix being a guardian for the sky lord.

There are two stars on the Hazuki family crest, Yuanda Zhu's company was called five stars corp and Shenhua's family treasure is the sword of seven stars. Is there a connection? Or is this simply a coincidence?

Last edited:
There are two stars on the Hazuki family crest, Yuanda Zhu's company was called five stars corp and Shenhua's family treasure is the sword of seven stars. Is there a connection? Or is this simply a coincidence?
Most likely nothing but I dig the idea 5 stars Corp is foreshadowing Zhu is the hidden 5th leader of the CYM. Another foreshadowing theory I like is the keys you use to open Zhu's observatory room are the same symbols of the Chi You Men leaders, and if he's Tentei then he is behind them in more way than one. 4 heavenly beasts, and Tentei which I think means heavenly King.

Everywhere Zhu leads Ryo is a key in a way, the key/password to contacting Master Chen, the key left in the Wulinshu, the Chawan Sign, the key/password his associate Yang leaves 'Dragons don't sleep' he tells Ryo about Bailu Village, he investigates and finds the keys/tokens that leads to a map scroll Ryo finds that leads to a cliff temple the CYM are lingering. It's fascinating to me if Zhu was a villian and guided Ryo through a web of puzzles.

So I played Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing the other day in an arcade and was just.. weirded out by Ryo’s model, anyone else feel the same? He just looks so off for some reason. Could be the incredibly tall hair, could be the super shiny jacket.. who knows!

LOL. I love this theory, it makes plenty of sense :p.

I'd add that, while in Hong Kong, Joy and Xiuying take perfectly synchronized turns to give Ryo some accommodation. Particularly that day when Xiuying and Ryo argue, and Joy is conveniently there to remind him of the Come Over Guest House.

S U S P I C I O U S...
He's not joking, he's being serious...

Do any UK based folk remember Digitiser? I found a website that archived the reviews!

For those that didn't know it, Digitiser was sort of like a daily video game magazine on Teletext; a TV based text tool way before we had the internet. Digitiser were pretty well known for marching to the beat of its own drum. The creator of Digitiser now has a YouTube show (and disclosure, i've backed two Kickstarters to fund their TV show). Very absurdist British humour!

Wow. Yahtzee deciding to go for a somewhat random ride on the anti-Shenmue train in this week’s Extra Punctuation. For those who can’t be bothered to watch it, he basically calls the first two games shit and uses them as an example of how not all Japanese sandbox games are good. He then doubles down at the end, again calling the games shit.

I usually agree with most of his critiques, but we clearly have very different opinions when it comes to Shenmue. I think he might be one of the only mainstream video game journalists who genuinely thinks that Shenmue is a bad game. I mean, there are a few others who don’t like it, but they can at least appreciate what it was going for.

Zero Punctuation is weird in that I used to find a lot of it pretty funny, but at the same time i've noticed over the last few years, the shtick has become more tiring and what was once witty is now bitter. I tell myself that he pretty much hates almost all games and that it's nothing personal until I realise that he does love the odd game. Funilly enough, I think the only games we have in common we like are Persona and Yakuza.

Still, kinda sad to see.

PS: I don't really have any interest in Elden Ring despite all the hype. A toxic "git gud" fanbase and a dark fantasy setting does nothing for me.

EDIT: Just watched it and i've proved my point. What was once witty is now resorting to calling Shenmue "Shitmue". Oscar Wilde must be spinning in his grave.

Last edited:
I mentioned before that I found out Ryo didn't have his band-aid on during the 70 man battle, but I didn't get good screenshots before, so I got some via Redream.

During the regular battles:
View attachment 14476

Low poly 70 man battle:
View attachment 14474

Bonus low poly Guizhang from 70 man battle:
View attachment 14475
Impressive how they scaled the engine and made advancements in Shenmue 2. As I don’t believe they made similar swaps with character hands or models in that game despite the increase in size, NPC’s ect.

Back