Random Shenmue Thoughts

im working my way through s1 (which ive have not played in 10 years)

im quite surprised how much of s1 i still remember lol.. the ps4 verson looks really good and i think ive literally seen only one moment of "slow down"/lag in gameplay. other than some of the japanese voice work, which sometimes sound a little bit "off" & that "click" after NPC's sometimes speak.. its looking great. - for me, i cant see a reason to re-buy a dreamcast and the original S1/S2 games anymore.

also unlike most games, im not finding playing S1 on the ps4 a chore.

Surprised by how enormous S2 still feels. I've only played through it twice, last time was many many years ago. I know S1 like the back of my hand, but I'm getting really lost in S2 (just like you're supposed to I guess!) Just enjoying being in awe at the scale of it once more.

going by some of the game play and dialogue, ive always thought they aimed s1/2 at 13-15 year olds. stuff like this /\ reminds me when they put subtle adult jokes in cartoons which children wouldnt understand. lol

-anyway just a heads up if anyone missed it.. the free shenmue ps4 theme is available to uk psn members now.

So i finished Shenmue 1 right now on PC. It was so wonderful to replaying that game. So many memories came back. But, i missed some scenes and missed to learn some fighting styles. But i have a good reason to replay it a third time next year before Shenmue 3 is out. :-)

I'm currently plAying Shenmue 2x on Xbox 360 - one big issue I'm having is with them multi-year QuickTime events, like when the action pauses and you have to press 3-4 buttons quickly. I don't know if it is just the 360 Dpad but I'm always struggling on these A Lot! Curious if anyone else has found this - really enjoying my playthrough though :)

For a moment there, I though this game could not run on my PC right, but it turns it that updating my drivers which was almost a year old fixed everything. It runs smoother than on the Dreamcast which is amazing. The controls don't have that stiffness about it anymore since I updated x360ce, but it could have been a framerate problem from the old graphics. The Bloom on my PC doesn't look as overwhelming as seen in videos to me. It makes things look nice and softer.

Honestly surprised by how quickly I'm getting through Shenmue. When I was younger, it felt like an absolute epic. Solving those mysteries seemed to take days, and the game itself felt like an epic. In playing it on the PS4 all those years later, I feel like I've made so much progress in just a couple of hours. I made it to the pier and my brain was instantly like "Oh, I'm already on disc 2. Wow."

Sister visited today and was listening to Shenmue music on her phone. Says she listens to it all the time when she's not playing. Dear God, what have I done? :LOL:

If you miss out on learning the Double Blow move from Yamagishi-san in S1, does Ryo do the Twin Hand Waves move instead on one of the sailors during QTE chase/battle at harbor?

If you miss out on learning the Double Blow move from Yamagishi-san in S1, does Ryo do the Twin Hand Waves move instead on one of the sailors during QTE chase/battle at harbor?
He does something alternative but not sure what move it is. Either way the guy goes flying lol. It might be elbow assault?

I'm currently plAying Shenmue 2x on Xbox 360 - one big issue I'm having is with them multi-year QuickTime events, like when the action pauses and you have to press 3-4 buttons quickly. I don't know if it is just the 360 Dpad but I'm always struggling on these A Lot! Curious if anyone else has found this - really enjoying my playthrough though :)

It's poor emulation on the part of Microsoft. The script they have written for the emulation on the 360 causes those QTE issues, as well as trying to play Hang On in Room 222 of the Yellowhead Building softlocking the game.

ah well, i thought the SEGA team would maybe talk about Shenmue at the 60 min Pax west conference
because it was all about japanese games and the localization and marketing process
but they didnt even mention Shenmue once.

Playing Shenmue with ultra widescreen is so mindblowing. Despite some minor pop in and clipping it works really well. Really bizzare is even a official option for PC despite the game's 4:3 roots. Even with 16:9 and the black bars on cutscenes and stuff i had assumed Sega wouldn't bother with 21:9 but alas here we are.

No, he dodges to the side as the sailor tries to punch Ryo and in return does a punch between the ribs and it looks like it wrecks.

Back