Random Shenmue Thoughts

Ooh nice, I like the idea of an 'on-model' version of the Xbox cover art :)

if it turns out "ok", i'll post some photos when im done lol

regarding the xbox shenmue artwork. i dont know who the original artist is of the but ive got a feeling some of his imagery is not from shenmue. lan di does not even look like the game character. i wouldn't be surprise if he painted (air-brushed) an image of himself, to get the right angle.

does anyone know who the artist of the xbox shenmue 2 game cover art is?

Ok, I may be late to notice this, but...
Don't you think the white part of the tiger on Ryo's jacket, has a similar shape with Japan ?

"Japan-tiger", at least, the concept feel awesome.

Hey, I'm nearing the end of S2 and worrying I may have missed a trophy but not sure. Maybe someone can confirm. The trophy in question is related to seeing the flowers. Early on when walking with Shenhua I think I selected hurry on once or twice and now night has fallen and I think we're about to take shelter. Is the flowers the next morning or did I miss it?

Hey, I'm nearing the end of S2 and worrying I may have missed a trophy but not sure. Maybe someone can confirm. The trophy in question is related to seeing the flowers. Early on when walking with Shenhua I think I selected hurry on once or twice and now night has fallen and I think we're about to take shelter. Is the flowers the next morning or did I miss it?
Don't worry, dude - you haven't missed it. You'll come to it eventually (y)

I always found it odd that many of the characters at Yokosuka harbor have Brooklyn, NY accents, especially when the English voices were recorded in Vancouver Canada (hence the ay?'s all the time)

I beat Chai at the arcade my first try! Been years since I've done that, so I surprised myself. Spammed the crawl cyclone a bit of course, but it's a tough fight regardless.

Don't worry, dude - you haven't missed it. You'll come to it eventually (y)

You can miss it, though. Shenhua gives you a choice of which path to take toward the end of your journey, stating one will be a detour. (HINT: Choose left)

I was lucky enough to get this scene my first play through. It amazes me that one of the most pivotal and shocking scenes in the game is optional - and the conversation you can have with Shenhua afterwards about it is also a bit difficult to get before you run out of time (you have to hurry through the remaining conversations until it's available).

Both Shenmue I and II had such wonderful end game sequences, it's what makes replaying them so many times worth it.

To each their own. I thought Guilin was the best and most powerful part of the game for me. Seeing the totally new emvironments and hearing Shenhua explain her lifestyle and story, it gave Ryo and by extension me, the player, a totally new perspective on life and Ryo's journey. Up to that point in the game all environments were industrial with citizens having more of a modern lifestyle. Shenmue 2 especially shows an economy at work based around money, jobs, and gambling. Seeing someone without any of those things but still living a peaceful happy life I feel gives Ryo a better perspective on the things that really matter in life, the things you actually need and not the things you think you need.

The Guilin section is very much a story based section on what is ultimately a story based series. One that is about life, friendship and values, not just about beating people up and gambling. It's a proper hero's journey and a coming of age story. That's why having different perspectives on life matters.

When i played Shenmue II on Dreamcast in 2002 i was amazed that after the Scene where Ryo says goodbye to Joy and Wong and he left Kowloon i thought, that's it. End Credits. But no, the game still continues! It was a strong part and very important to the story-line of Shenmue. Ryo meets Shenhua he had dreamed of her. I asked me why he has not talked to her about this dreams. Yesterday, after 4 to 5 times repeating the QTE-Sequences to beat Dou Niu i arrived Guilin. And today, afternoon, i will continue playing and i'm very hyped to see this part again after so long time.

To each their own. I thought Guilin was the best and most powerful part of the game for me. Seeing the totally new emvironments and hearing Shenhua explain her lifestyle and story, it gave Ryo and by extension me, the player, a totally new perspective on life and Ryo's journey. Up to that point in the game all environments were industrial with citizens having more of a modern lifestyle. Shenmue 2 especially shows an economy at work based around money, jobs, and gambling. Seeing someone without any of those things but still living a peaceful happy life I feel gives Ryo a better perspective on the things that really matter in life, the things you actually need and not the things you think you need.

The Guilin section is very much a story based section on what is ultimately a story based series. One that is about life, friendship and values, not just about beating people up and gambling. It's a proper hero's journey and a coming of age story. That's why having different perspectives on life matters.
I'll admit when I first played Shenmue 2 I didn't appreciate the Guilin part. It was not until my 3rd or 4th playthrough did the penny drop about it. Superbly written, powerful and the world is beautiful

Iwao's last words to Ryo: 'Keep friends...Those you love, close to you' could be coming from a place of regret. Perhaps Iwao neglected to notice Sunming Zhao was becoming corrupted by the allure of the mirrors. These words could be foreshadowing the same thing happening to Ren, who is greedy by nature and is drawn to the Phoenix mirror and its value. Ryo might be in a position where he has to kill Ren as a result, much like his father's dilemma with Zhao.

The Ghost Hall Building QTE on the 10th floor is ridiculous. The other floors were fine. Why is there much less time to press the correct button?

The Ghost Hall Building QTE on the 10th floor is ridiculous. The other floors were fine. Why is there much less time to press the correct button?
Weird, what platform are you playing on? I don't recall having any extra difficulty with Ghost Hall at all.

Weird, what platform are you playing on? I don't recall having any extra difficulty with Ghost Hall at all.
I'm sure it's the same on the dreamcast. The difficulty flies right up

Regardless of the platform, the difficulty is a constant: fucking infuriatingly stupid.

It really is kind of absurd. The only way I was able to pass it is by memorizing the patterns it would ask for and spamming them as the event was about to occur. This isn't how QTE events should be.

Ah I misunderstood the post. I thought he meant that 10th floor Ghost Hall on the re-release was harder than it was on Dreamcast/Xbox.

My mistake!

Back