Random Shenmue Thoughts

I spoke to a guy about the video Seaman shared and turns he had to watch the video as part of his training years ago.
To be fair it does get across a lot of the basics very well before it turns very dark.

I always think of this video whenever anyone tries to say Germans have no sense of humour. It’s hilarious.

To be fair it does get across a lot of the basics very well before it turns very dark.

I always think of this video whenever anyone tries to say Germans have no sense of humour. It’s hilarious.
I bet when this was used in East Germany as propaganda to warn people about the horrors living in the capitalist West Germany.

I bet when this was used in East Germany as propaganda to warn people about the horrors living in the capitalist West Germany.
Like how Shenmue was used in North Korea to demonstrate the horrors of capitalist Japan.

I spoke to a guy about the video Seaman shared and turns out he had to watch the video as part of his training years ago.
Same here. The best is that I unlocked an achievement/trophy and after finishing the training we all got a certificate which looked like a college degree. Because Canary Islands are a underdeveloped territory in disguise. Oh we also were given work pants which shows one's butt when squatting. Full proffesional equipment.

I still randomly think of playing Shenmue 2 for the first time and thinking that the voice of Yuan's myna bird must be the Japanese voice actor for Chai. I had my hands covering my face for a few cutscenes afterwards, waiting for him to jump out and attack.

Similarly, I was spooked by Chai's theme being used for the Baihu fight and was expecting another Chai attack at the end of that fight. That little hunchback lived in my head rent free.

VGChartz has sales stopping at 340k worldwide for both PS4 and XB1. This is likely inaccurate and could go either way but we know SEGA were happy with the sales overall. Likely higher as there have been a number of sales pushes on this game.

It would be reasonable to think around 400-500k sales have been made now. Possibly more.

@spud1897 do you think shenmue would’ve been milked if it was successful
Yes I do. If it were successful back in the Dreamcast days we'd have had all the series completed during the PS3/360 era and then spin offs and remasters now.

Found this two maps in "What's Shenmue" and couldn't make out whats supposed to be. Any clues?
Aerial view plus some detail shots:
View attachment 18922

View attachment 18923
The last one is duplicated in the game files.
The interior map is Xiuying's room in the Da Yuan Apartments. As for the exterior map - it appears to be the inaccessible parts of Yokosuka or somewhere in Guilin.

The interior map is Xiuying's room in the Da Yuan Apartments.
Ah yes indeed! Being inside Whats Shenmue disc got me memory erased. Also the hallway access tricked me into thinking it could be some of the many apartments indoors. Damn.
As for the exterior map - it appears to be the inaccessible parts of Yokosuka or somewhere in Guilin.
Now that you correctly pointed the previous map procedence from S2, I lean to Gulin. There's no road path leading to it so that reinforces it as another S2 map too.
Thank you very much for solving it so quick!

Ah yes indeed! Being inside Whats Shenmue disc got me memory erased. Also the hallway access tricked me into thinking it could be some of the many apartments indoors. Damn.

Now that you correctly pointed the previous map procedence from S2, I lean to Gulin. There's no road path leading to it so that reinforces it as another S2 map too.
Thank you very much for solving it so quick!
The colour scheme of the exterior map is throwing me off, but I think that is just because Guilin is a lot more colourful in my memory. I initially thought it could be the location featured in the flashback of Xiuying and Ziming's final moments together, but then I remembered that was, in fact, a Mad Max-looking desert landscape.

Back