Random Shenmue Thoughts

The interior map is Xiuying's room in the Da Yuan Apartments. As for the exterior map - it appears to be the inaccessible parts of Yokosuka or somewhere in Guilin.
I forget sometimes that Shenmue I and II were at some point envisioned as a single game. Always blows my mind when I see just how much stuff from Shenmue II and beyond can be found leftover in even the earliest builds of Shenmue I. I know it makes sense given they'd basically already built it for Saturn, but even still.

Man, I hope we get to play that version one day!

Found this two maps in "What's Shenmue" and couldn't make out whats supposed to be. Any clues?
Aerial view plus some detail shots:
View attachment 18922

View attachment 18923
The last one is duplicated in the game files.
The Guilin map is part of Shenhua's demo from the Passport. I forget if it exists in What's Shenmue, but there is a "Faces Demo" leak out there where this occurs as well.

I don’t know if it’s just me but I remember there being Japanese Korean and Chinese subtitles available on the ps4 version when it first came out. Now I only see English French and German as options was that removed?

I was recently thinking about user interface in Shenmue, chiefly the inclusion of the A/B/X/Y at the bottom of the screen in Shenmue I for the HD ports.

Are you more a fan of the buttons being there at all times, or do you prefer the Dreamcast Shenmue I minimalism? I used to prefer the buttons on screen (it's well stylized in S3), but I may have come around to the Shenmue I style.

Without having to look at a guide I would like to know at what stages in 1-2 you actually need money? Doing my first playthrough trying to collect things. I'm guessing my money/collection from 1 transfers to 2 on the xbox one version. Whats the best guide for the HD version?

Last edited:
Whats the best guide for the HD version?
HD version its S1 DC & S2 xbox so you'll be ok with guides for those. The Internet Archive has some of the official guides in pdf but personally I prefer the Faqs at gamefaqs from shotgunnova and crazyren respectively. For Shenmue 1, StrategyWiky has a nice one too.

I'm guessing my money/collection from 1 transfers to 2 on the xbox one version.
Correct. But remember what happens at the very beggining with your bag. Your money will be gone for good. However you can buy some lighters, stones and souvenirs from Aberdeen stands until you believe its enough (everytime you exit the "buy screen" It will refill stock) and sell those at pawn shops.
Personally I find tiresome to spend all my S1 transfered money in order to keep it so instead I let it go and go the slowest but more entertaining way: moving boxes>pachinko>roll it on top>big or small and finally when I get like $1k going for chow at Big or small.
Remember you will be locked into Wise Men Qr. when airing the books & looking for Wulinshu.

Without having to look at a guide I would like to know at what stages in 1-2 you actually need money?
I can't recall having money issues at all in S1 in order to progress the story. When the plot requires it, its just given to you and yet... well, Asia Travel Co. remember? Yikes (Ryo wasn't the sharper of the knifes there..)
You really can buy all move scrolls at Bunkado Antiques as soon as you get there for like $3k leaving you with 8k iirc. I always get em later for listening the more detailed info about the moves given by the shop owner rather than his niece. There's time enough to training from that moment on.

S2 requires money for getting a hint to where Master Tao is (ranging from $10 to $50, depending on the quality of the aforementioned hint), paying Come Over Guest House (not really, which has always bugged me into a lost/canned fight event), $20 for fighting at the arcades against Aileen and Izumi to get the medals and duck races, getting to meet Ren at the Heavens hideout ($500) and in Kowloon to get in the fights for the scout and later fighting the people he tells you.
Tldr, get something in between $5k-10k and you're covered.

@spud1897 do you think shenmue 2 dreamcast version not releasing in north america affected the series and 2nd also how long do you think shenmue 4 will be?

Last edited:
HD version its S1 DC & S2 xbox so you'll be ok with guides for those. The Internet Archive has some of the official guides in pdf but personally I prefer the Faqs at gamefaqs from shotgunnova and crazyren respectively. For Shenmue 1, StrategyWiky has a nice one too.

Correct. But remember what happens at the very beggining with your bag. Your money will be gone for good. However you can buy some lighters, stones and souvenirs from Aberdeen stands until you believe its enough (everytime you exit the "buy screen" It will refill stock) and sell those at pawn shops.
Personally I find tiresome to spend all my S1 transfered money in order to keep it so instead I let it go and go the slowest but more entertaining way: moving boxes>pachinko>roll it on top>big or small and finally when I get like $1k going for chow at Big or small.
Remember you will be locked into Wise Men Qr. when airing the books & looking for Wulinshu.

I can't recall having money issues at all in S1 in order to progress the story. When the plot requires it, its just given to you and yet... well, Asia Travel Co. remember? Yikes (Ryo wasn't the sharper of the knifes there..)
You really can buy all move scrolls at Bunkado Antiques as soon as you get there for like $3k leaving you with 8k iirc. I always get em later for listening the more detailed info about the moves given by the shop owner rather than his niece. There's time enough to training from that moment on.

S2 requires money for getting a hint to where Master Tao is (ranging from $10 to $50, depending on the quality of the aforementioned hint), paying Come Over Guest House (not really, which has always bugged me into a lost/canned fight event), $20 for fighting at the arcades against Aileen and Izumi to get the medals and duck races, getting to meet Ren at the Heavens hideout ($500) and in Kowloon to get in the fights for the scout and later fighting the people he tells you.
Tldr, get something in between $5k-10k and you're covered.
Cheers bud, having a Shenmue Sunday.

I just read a article that YSNet is currently working on another game. Does anyone know the game?
Virtua 6? 🕵️‍♂️ Gonna dig my nose a bit.
Our pal Switch had a mention to it here
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2023/09/yu-suzuki-confirms-desire-to-make.html?m=1

Here are some thoughts based on above source
https://gamerant.com/yu-suzuki-new-game-shenmue-4-air-twister-ys-net/

I liked the article. It revolves around Yu-san statement about combining his previous arcade games into a set. Keeps a door open to Shenmue IV as "unlikely the next project but anything is possible". November as key date to recieve new details about it.

Last edited:
I was recently thinking about user interface in Shenmue, chiefly the inclusion of the A/B/X/Y at the bottom of the screen in Shenmue I for the HD ports.

Are you more a fan of the buttons being there at all times, or do you prefer the Dreamcast Shenmue I minimalism? I used to prefer the buttons on screen (it's well stylized in S3), but I may have come around to the Shenmue I style.

With story based 3rd person games, I’ve always been a proponent of no HUD elements. Or at least ‘dynamic’ like in a lot of Sony 1st party games where you swipe up on touch pad and it’s visible for 10 seconds before disappearing.

Helps me appreciate the games environment and improve immersion.

Back