Random Shenmue Thoughts

It's not just the story per say, but the changes that have been made that are also exciting for us. Spoiling is a loose term referring to the whole product, not just the story.

I'm hoping I can avoid a ban by saying this, but what little I saw today - in French as well, may I add - has been discussed on these forums for weeks on end. If anything, what I saw has made me even more excited to get hold of the game. I'm not entirely sure what there is to spoil - we already know we're getting a new UI, new text font, new QTE buttons, language choices, controls, save transfer, etc. Hell - we even know about the capsule toy inventory following a leak from Adam Koralik without SEGA's permission, and everyone seemed OK with that last week. I agree with what the Dojo staff have done in removing links and content - I just feel it could've been handled a little better, that's all.

Last edited:
I didn't know about the leak until I saw the post. I did not see the contents of the post and surprised me with the message at the top of the forum. It is a delicate situation and I understand the whole staff avoiding problems in the future.

I am very much looking forward to the launch (and worried, because here in Brazil still has no store with pre sale or estimate of release), but we are only a week from the official release, so let's have a little self-control and lets discuss our expectations, plans and thoughts. It will be much more productive.

Yeah, i've learned a couple of things about this situation. When SIII is a week from release i'll prolly check off the internet. It's gonna be way worse.

Btw, anyone think Sega of Japan will hire Masaya Matsukaze to do a Japanese voice over version of the current English videos by Corey Marshall when the re releases are closer to the Japanese release?

Last edited:
What i don't get is many of the members on this site have been at the forefront of finding out information with the game and releases - There is a whole page or two dedicated to the inconsistency of Shenhua's belt... We'va all been looking up techincal specifications and details to see what these ports offer and if people have got them early, I don't see how their feedback is any different. Had this been Shenmue III yes I'd be just as livid but as it is a HD port of an old game it jsut doesn't seem THAT big of a deal to me.

Curious though, I find I often get a gaem a Day early through online retailers - Will I be able to talk about it and push link to my live stream on the day prior?

What i don't get is many of the members on this site have been at the forefront of finding out information with the game and releases - There is a whole page or two dedicated to the inconsistency of Shenhua's belt... We'va all been looking up techincal specifications and details to see what these ports offer and if people have got them early, I don't see how their feedback is any different. Had this been Shenmue III yes I'd be just as livid but as it is a HD port of an old game it jsut doesn't seem THAT big of a deal to me.

Curious though, I find I often get a gaem a Day early through online retailers - Will I be able to talk about it and push link to my live stream on the day prior?

Talking about it in a public manner, is acknowledging it directly in a public manner, and is promoting it in a public manner. If you want to discuss it, take it to PM.

All can be discussed in a free and open manner when the game is available to the public.

The discussion around the belt etc. was done off of already released/authorised footage so that's fine.

Afraid not. Anything like that can be published (here) the moment the game has it's full release.

As above, I don't think there has been a stone left unturned in terms of how the rereleases differ from the originals. All there is left to talk about is your own experiences once you get a chance to play the game - your own opinion on the new controls, bloom effect, Japanese dub of Shenmue I, load screens, text font, aspect ratio, cutscenes and so on, and so on. Some fans already seem to have an opinion without even playing the games - we've been discussing these features for weeks, if not months, already.

It's interesting that we didn't have this kind of reaction to the trophies/achievements leak a few weeks back.

Are we allowed to discuss official reviews that may pop up before Tuesday, or is that not allowed either?

Comments about spoiling the story of a 19-year-old game or the already announced features of the new version are missing the point, which is that footage and descriptions of a pre-release build before the day one patch is available do a disservice to the game, creating an unfair impression of the product.

For all intents and purposes, until the patch goes live on the scheduled day of release, these stores may as well be selling stolen beta copies, and the same goes for YouTubers sharing their review copies that they've been told are not the final build. It's dishonest and potentially harmful to sales of the game due to the misleading negative impressions that may spread before release and hang around like a bad odor afterward.

It is not really about spoiling the story or gameplay mechanics. The point is Sega requested that any footage of the leaked build or any of its contents to not be spread around until launch day to my understanding. If this forum has built some kind of communication channel with Sega itself, why would the Dojo staff risk burning that bridge? Why would fans would want that?

It is not really about spoiling the story or gameplay mechanics. The point is Sega requested that any footage of the leaked build or any of its contents to not be spread around until launch day to my understanding. If this forum has built some kind of communication channel with Sega itself, why would the Dojo staff risk burning that bridge? Why would fans would want that?

I've not seen anyone say they're unhappy with the Dojo removing links and content.

No company in the world want to see leaked footage before they decide to publish or greenlit someone to do it, in my experience working in this industry a title is not completed no even until release, but usually it takes a Day 0/Day 1 patch, and even some 1st week or 2nd week patch. The current system of developing is working until the eleventh hour and beyond, and if the developer/publisher allowed to publish leaked material you would see some horrid glitches in AAA titles before releasing. Also the marketing campaign, agreements and all the stuff they have, if they have signed with internet people to give the news is hurting those people to share leaked info. Also NDAs are important, other wise this post could have specific examples.

You guys really do place far too much importance on a day one patch... I get it from staff that will use it as the official line, as Sega will, but as an ordinary member I wouldn't put too much stock in it. No offence, but I remember hearing that same - and sorry, I'm going to word it like this - bullshit when I got Sonic Forces the week before release. Sega kept banging on about a day one patch with that game too and 1. The day one patch launched days before release day and 2. There was no noticeable difference as far as I or any ordinary gamer could see pre or post patch.

Also it's not going to damage sales. This happens to every game ever other than some super major releases. It happened to Metal Gear Solid V, it happened to loads of releases. It does not affect sales (unless a game looks majorly broken - which Shenmue does not). What might do, is people acting like the retail build is basically broken and banging on about a major day one patch, since consumers are getting sick of games being broken on disc and patched later.

As above, I don't think there has been a stone left unturned in terms of how the rereleases differ from the originals. All there is left to talk about is your own experiences once you get a chance to play the game - your own opinion on the new controls, bloom effect, Japanese dub of Shenmue I, load screens, text font, aspect ratio, cutscenes and so on, and so on. Some fans already seem to have an opinion without even playing the games - we've been discussing these features for weeks, if not months, already.

It's interesting that we didn't have this kind of reaction to the trophies/achievements leak a few weeks back.

Are we allowed to discuss official reviews that may pop up before Tuesday, or is that not allowed either?

At the moment no.

However if the normal outlets (IGN etc) are publishing by this time then all should be ok

@iyapol There were plenty asking if it was ok to talk about it freely in the forum as long as the footage itself is not posted if you look a few pages back. The thing is if we are discussing about anything that were not in the official trailers, we can only assume they came from the leaks. Doing so here would go against Sega's wishes.
And yeah, for us regular members this might mean nothing, but obviously this is against the Dojo's forum direction. It's just simple as that.

Also it's not going to damage sales... What might do, is people acting like the retail build is basically broken and banging on about a major day one patch, since consumers are getting sick of games being broken on disc and patched later.

Who's banging on about it?

Personally I feel that if a game I wasn't following as closely as Shenmue was getting comments about bugs or whatever else, I'd be far more likely to steer clear than if I heard about a day one patch. The latter proves to me that the developers have their ducks in a row when it matters, which is release day. Whether it's unfinished up to the 11th hour is unimportant, so long as they've made the necessary arrangements for the game I load up to be the finished article.

Who's banging on about it? Everyone is. Just because the product is pre-day one patch does not really matter. Bugs and glitches will likely be negligible. Acting like it's practically a beta version is hyperbole.

What bugs and glitches have people noticed pre-patch? I bet none. Sega wouldn't have sent out review copies (which they have, btw) if they weren't confident in the game pre-patch and they didn't want it judged.

I'm well aware they've sent out review copies, and I'm also well aware of what they're like and why. Unfortunately the "what" is being spread around without the "why", but congrats for avoiding it so far by banging on about it here.

Countless human beings have worked for decades to get this work of art to this point. Let's make the best of this opportunity and try our best to respect YuSuzuki-san & company's wishes. We're all in this journey together...

Last edited:
Back