Random Shenmue Thoughts

Their saying its going to be a major patch on day one . When you purchase something is it wrong to expect a finished product? They had 15 years to work on this so them making the disks a month ahead of time is no excuse in my opinion . I probably love shenmue more than anyone on the dojo but this bothers me. I purchased 5 physical copies. If you don't complain about these things video game companys will continue to this. I understand that most games get patches but they make it sound like this patch is a big deal. Didn't they preview this game in 16:9 in the trailers? Why would they do that? I'm truly greatful for this collection and I think it's a great deal. But I expect honesty. Am I the only one that feels this way? I want this to do well so that we get a shenmue 4 but I'm not going to pretend like their always in the right.

Their saying its going to be a major patch on day one . When you purchase something is it wrong to expect a finished product?

It doesn't work like that anymore though. What you purchase is a disc that contains all the essentials. It's then worked on and improved. Remember that computers are never 100% accurate in anything anyway, and testers simply don't have enough time to fix everything. Especially with two games as large as these and the fact that they're porting outdated technology from a game that was worked on by fuck knows how many separate teams.

They had 15 years to work on this so them making the disks a month ahead of time is no excuse in my opinion .

Neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 have been out for five years yet. Where the hell you got fifteen from I don't know.

I probably love shenmue more than anyone on the dojo

Alright Trump.

I purchased 5 physical copies.

Making your opinion five times more important?

If you don't complain about these things video game companys will continue to this.

They'll continue to do it because it's more efficient, not to spite you.

I understand that most games get patches but they make it sound like this patch is a big deal.

Would you rather get your product later to give them time to fix it, or when you were promised and have it fixed on it's intended release day?

But I expect honesty.

Is this not honesty?:

For anyone worried that there isn't going to be a day one patch, or that certain issues aren't going to be addressed:
7623926ea2.png

70ed411ee3.png

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Probably not. After all, being both irrational and unreasonable are traits of many a fellow human being.

I want this to do well so that we get a shenmue 4 but I'm not going to pretend like their always in the right.

Well then maybe you shoulda bought more than five, cheapskate.

It doesn't work like that anymore though. What you purchase is a disc that contains all the essentials. It's then worked on and improved. Remember that computers are never 100% accurate in anything anyway, and testers simply don't have enough time to fix everything. Especially with two games as large as these and the fact that they're porting outdated technology from a game that was worked on by fuck knows how many separate teams.

Neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 have been out for five years yet. Where the hell you got fifteen from I don't know.

Alright Trump.

Making your opinion five times more important?

They'll continue to do it because it's more efficient, not to spite you.

Would you rather get your product later to give them time to fix it, or when you were promised and have it fixed on it's intended release day?

Is this not honesty?:

Probably not. After all, being both irrational and unreasonable are traits of many a fellow human being.

Well then maybe you shoulda bought more than five, cheapskate.

I'm saying that they've had Years to release the HD version of these games. The ps4 and Xbox one are nothing but computers and the last Gen was also capable of playing games in hd. I bet you sit on the internet all day looking for something to argue about. I guess Sega is just a perfect company and never does anything wrong ?. I deleted this post well before you replied to avoid a argument and you still wanted to stir this up. Calling me trump and cheap because I complaned about a large patch? You're like a child.

I'm saying that they've had Years to release the HD version of these games. The ps4 and Xbox one are nothing but computers and the last Gen was also capable of playing games in hd.

Like I said, it doesn't work like that. Besides, it's this generation that re-releasing games has taken off to such an extent.

I bet you sit on the internet all day looking for something to argue about.

Well there was no one at the bus stop.

I guess Sega is just a perfect company and never does anything wrong ?.

No, it's just pretty standard practice.

I deleted this post well before you replied to avoid a argument and you still wanted to stir this up.

So therefore I began responding before you deleted it. Pretty straight-forward logic.

Calling me trump and cheap because I complaned about a large patch?

No, because of the whole "nobody loves Shenmue more than me" thing. If someone else was famous for saying that, I woulda gone with their name instead.

You're like a child.

Aye.

Yeah my bad. He was being extremely mature ?.

Hey, I wasn't tryna act mature. But let's be real, neither of our comments have been. Better to speak on a level.

Look what he has under his name.

:sneaky:

Their saying its going to be a major patch on day one . When you purchase something is it wrong to expect a finished product? They had 15 years to work on this so them making the disks a month ahead of time is no excuse in my opinion . I probably love shenmue more than anyone on the dojo but this bothers me. I purchased 5 physical copies. If you don't complain about these things video game companys will continue to this. I understand that most games get patches but they make it sound like this patch is a big deal. Didn't they preview this game in 16:9 in the trailers? Why would they do that? I'm truly greatful for this collection and I think it's a great deal. But I expect honesty. Am I the only one that feels this way? I want this to do well so that we get a shenmue 4 but I'm not going to pretend like their always in the right.
Physical versions have to sent a month in advance for review. The game is then continued to be worked on and then patched on release.
This is standard practice now.

That's awesome, Switch! You can see more of these radio towers in Sakuragaoka - I presumed they were aircraft beacons - which is what got me thinking the settlement around the coast was actually the top end of Sakuragaoka! Cheers for the input.
The towers are definitely similar! Sakuragaoka (as named n the game, which corresponds to the areas of Midorigaoka in real-life) lies in a more inland direction behind Dobuita, but in fact similar transmission towers do actually really exist on the surrounding hills - here's a shot from Google Earth showing one of the towers and looking back to Dobuita Street (marked with a green line) and the harbor.
transmission-tower.jpg

Last edited:
The towers are definitely similar! In fact, Sakuragaoka in the game (which corresponds to the areas of Midorigaoka in real-life) lies in a more inland direction behind Dobuita, but in fact similar transmission towers do actually really exist on the surrounding hills - here's a shot from Google Earth showing one of the towers and looking back to Dobuita Street (marked with a green line) and the harbor.
View attachment 537

Absolutely awesome. ?

I heard the news that the Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy has been delayed until November... mostly due to the backlash of the physical Edition only having the 1st game on disc and the other 2 games as download - Which was abysmal! But it seems like they've Done the right thing, they've delayed it and hopefully by November we'll have the game as it should be. I think SEGA/d3t need to take note of this and It also proves our complacency of ShenmueHD's scatter shot Aspect Ratio has left the matter un-addressed. Still hoping for a steam hack.

Was looking through my posting history on the old forum when I found this, it still makes me laugh how uncharacteristically excited Ryo sounds.

I might be a crazy person.
I started the game on PC (still haven't gotten shipping confirmation for my PS4 version, so I grabbed this up just for giggles), and after playing for a few minutes on full resolution and highest settings... I dropped the resolution to 720x480.
And suddenly it actually feels right. Standard-def, no bloom, jaggy edges and all.
So after this big old years-long long wait for an HD version, I find I kinda prefer it closer to the original Dreamcast settings. :ROFLMAO:
Anyone else doing this?

I think SEGA/d3t need to take note of this and It also proves our complacency of ShenmueHD's scatter shot Aspect Ratio has left the matter un-addressed. Still hoping for a steam hack.
Yeah, I hope a mod comes out too. Then you can see for yourself exactly why they chose not to change the aspect ration for the cutscenes.
The camera clips through the 3D models at various points. It's already been shown through Dreamcast emulation. It actually would have been less professional of them to release something with such an obvious technical problem.
But hey, you'll probably get to see it eventually.

So after this big old years-long long wait for an HD version, I find I kinda prefer it closer to the original Dreamcast settings. :ROFLMAO:
Anyone else doing this?
No but I somewhat understand wanting to keep the experience familiar. I started playing the game with the Japanese dub but switched it back to English within an hour, when I move onto the second game I'll switch back to Japanese because even though it's inherently inconsistent it's how I'm used to playing them now.

Yeah, I hope a mod comes out too. Then you can see for yourself exactly why they chose not to change the aspect ration for the cutscenes.
The camera clips through the 3D models at various points. It's already been shown through Dreamcast emulation. It actually would have been less professional of them to release something with such an obvious technical problem.
But hey, you'll probably get to see it eventually.

Here's the thing: I was on this side all the way up to release... but QTE sequences are in 16:9. This makes no sense (and in fact reveals the flaws you're talking about).

There's a lack of consistency here: it was claimed cutscenes were in 4:3 because of those flaws, and they didn't want to change the direction of the cutscenes (despite what some people have claimed, this is a perfectly valid reason). However, the QTE sequences are also directed cutscenes, with a tiny amount of interaction (the button prompt determining which shot follows the one you're currently viewing). These being in 16:9 either reveal flaws, or require a change in direction.

As such, either the cutscenes need to be reworked for 16:9, or the QTEs need to be letterboxed to 4:3 too.

Back