Random thoughts and a question on the shenmue series.

I haven't played the original since 2001. Played part 2 on xbox backwards compatible on 360. In the original it took me around 40 hours to finish,did I suck or is this normal? Also I was never able to finish part 2,I always got stuck on the part where you need to make $500 to meet someone,forget his name. Looking forward more to part 1 in the collection than part 2,lol !!! I don't know if its just me,but the difficulty in 2 seems much harder than 1. Ive finished part 1 at least 4 times in 2001.

The person you need to meet is Ren, leader of the Heavens in Aberdeen. And no, you did not suck if it took you 40 hours to complete the original game, as it is so expansive and there is so much to do. There are times when I would spend several in-game days just training and spending time at the arcade

@Tony Z if you were trying to speedrun Shenmue1, then 40 hours is not good. But, both Shenmues are huge games and one of the purposes is to explore and talk to many NPCs, which takes a lot of time, so you shouldn't feel bad about getting involved with the story. In fact, you should be happy that you got see Japan from Ryo's eyes.

@Tony Z if you were trying to speedrun Shenmue1, then 40 hours is not good. But, both Shenmues are huge games and one of the purposes is to explore and talk to many NPCs, which takes a lot of time, so you shouldn't feel bad about getting involved with the story. In fact, you should be happy that you got see Japan from Ryo's eyes.
No,I wasn't trying to speedrun,this is just a rough estimate based off memory.

The person you need to meet is Ren, leader of the Heavens in Aberdeen. And no, you did not suck if it took you 40 hours to complete the original game, as it is so expansive and there is so much to do. There are times when I would spend several in-game days just training and spending time at the arcade
Hmm,I remember doing lots of stuff in the game with Ren,my memory must be fooling me,but I definitely remember being stuck in the 2nd game at a certain point and never finishing it. Remember always failing at making money with the caveman wrestler. Trying to pinpoint where I failed off memory,havent played in over 14 years. Remember definitely doing lots of stuff with ren, also the bald fat guy,the mean girl who is voiced by same person who voices joy. Never made it to the end where he meets the girl from the cover of part 1.

Shenmue is all about taking your time and immersing yourself in the games - absolutely no shame in 40 hours. It's a shame you never got round to finishing 2. You definitely should if you're getting the rereleases - it's well worth it.

Hmm,I remember doing lots of stuff in the game with Ren,my memory must be fooling me,but I definitely remember being stuck in the 2nd game at a certain point and never finishing it. Remember always failing at making money with the caveman wrestler. Trying to pinpoint where I failed off memory,havent played in over 14 years. Remember definitely doing lots of stuff with ren, also the bald fat guy,the mean girl who is voiced by same person who voices joy. Never made it to the end where he meets the girl from the cover of part 1.
Oh, you mean when you are trying to earn money in Kowloon by street fighting? To meet with the Yellow Head scout?

Oh, you mean when you are trying to earn money in Kowloon by street fighting? To meet with the Yellow Head scout?
Yes,that is probably where I got stuck,and I don't give up easily. I remember being defeated more times than winning. Hopefully I will be better on ps4,lol ! Although that wont be a problem for a while since im starting with part 1. I just cant understand why Shenmue 2 is so much harder than 1.

So how far was I in part 2, since I was trying to earn money to meet yellow head scout. Maybe 60% of the game?

So how far was I in part 2, since I was trying to earn money to meet yellow head scout. Maybe 60% of the game?

You were far but we shouldn't really spoil the game for you if you haven't experienced it yet. I will just say it gets better and better as you progress.

Back