Red Dead Redemption 2 - From a Shenmue perspective

It is absolutely mind-blowing what they've done with this game. Could be the greatest game ever made, but I'll reserve judgement til I've played it to death.

The attention to detail is what makes it the best open world experience in gaming. I've played a lot of the big open world games, and this one takes a huge dump all over them. Seriously, Bethesda should be looking to these guys for inspiration.

If only the shooting mechanics controlled more like an Uncharted, it would be the perfect game. There's still something a bit 'off' about Rockstar games and controls, they just seem to be a bit slow and unresponsive at times.

if they somehow made it possible to speed up the horse riding via Cinema mode ( ie cut chunks out) it would make the game 100% more enjoyable.

ive nearly completely it. gotta say im finding the-
epilogue
-story more interesting than the main game.

although the game is great value for money ( i have no idea how many hours i have in it) and looks great.. some of the game play is a real chore. i would not give it 10/10 maybe a solid 8.

maybe its just me but i really like the depressive mood. it gets worse and worse from the start.
and of course i'm not a fan of a depressive mood in real life, but you need some balls
to make a huge triple A game where everything is just sad and depressing.

most of the high budget games are designed to be enjoyed by almost everyone.
you get some funny stuff, you get some action, a bit of happy love, some drama in the middle part and so on.
nothing too serious.
but RDR 2 is pretty much "just" a small compact drama.

almost no overdone blockbuster action sequences, no forced jokes, the tone stays the same from the beginning to the end.
Rockstar told the story that they wanted to instead of designing a story for a mass audience.
i like that.

i completed it today. i take back my 8/10 review and would only give it 7.

for the amount of time it takes to finish, it does not have a big pay off. imo gta5 is a better game.

I'm on Chapter 3 and still really enjoying it. There's so much detail in the open world, every time I leave camp I come across something new along the way and make decisions. So many random secrets dotted around the world. The camp itself is just full of so many characters. I enjoy the mini games too and just chilling with Dutch's gang. It's definitely better than the overrated Red Dead Redemption 1 to me (which I was never that impressed with, Red Dead Revolver> Redemption 1 any day!)
It actually improves that game (Redemption 1) in a lot of ways and makes that game's story really poignant and more tragic now.
It's real sad to see what eventually became of Dutch and the crew. It's pretty obvious to see that Dutch had real mental health issues.

Yeah, I never really saw the big fascination with RDR, it was a decent enough game but nowhere near the same level as this.

I do think Rockstar have created their masterpiece, and that's coming from a guy who's never really been a huge fan of their work. You can appreciate what they do but there's something off-putting about their games. I'm not sure it's just the controls either.

On a side note, Arthur is an excellent character. Much more enjoyable than John was.

Sorry to bump this, but I wondered if anyone could help with a bug I'm experiencing after basically finishing the game:

Ever since starting the epilog with John, whenever I complete an objective the details popping up on the left of the screen after holding the PS4's Options button are for ongoing collectible-based quests like the cave paintings and trading cards, etc, instead of the mission I've just done.

It's far from game breaking of course but it's inconvenient, because I like to read the little blurb and see which sub-challenges I failed at (like number of headshots, completing without health items, etc). And it persists in the post-game after the credits, when there are still a few little side quests to mop up.

Anyone heard of this and know if there's a way to fix it?

And while I'm here I might as well add some reflections on the game's finale:

RDR2 is a spectacular feat with some great storytelling, but I take issue with the ending on several counts.

I obviously knew we wouldn't get revenge on Dutch in this game, so it felt like they were accounting for this by providing another villain (Micah) that we could take therapeutic satisfaction in killing. Whether it was putting a bullet in his skull or punching him off a cliff, I was looking forward to avenging Brother Arthur. So to be robbed of that moment by someone else pulling the trigger was disappointing to say the least.

Especially as it was done in aid of "redeeming" Dutch. A fine resolution if this were the end of the story arc, but hold on a second. John spends the whole of RDR1 grousing about how Dutch abandoned him and left him to die, and we're supposed to feel like he's had this vengeance coming to him. But not only does John regroup with Dutch at camp after being left to die, and (despite his anger) pass up the chance to kill him, but later on in the epilog Dutch is the hero, helping John to save Sadie from Micah.

So yes, John has a job to do in RDR1 for the authorities who've kidnapped his family, but the events of this prequel seem at odds with the relish he takes in hunting down a man whose crimes against him aren't, it turns out, all that raw and unrepentant.

I didn't read the second part yet as I have still about 2 hours to go (I think - if I continue playing slowly as I do)

But about the first part: Wow, I am surprised that you're having the same issue. I play on XBOX One and it's the same problem in the epilogue. I thought they would've fixed that after so many patches...

Back