Request: Shenmue 3 (PC) Save, following ascent to Bailu Tower

Howdy folks! New guy here. Does anyone have a Shenmue 3 PC save that starts at Niaowu?

Background:
I was a backer for Shenmue 3 and just got around to playing it on PC. It has run perfectly so far, up until I get to the ascent to Bailu Tower. I solve the puzzles and fight Chai in QTE, then get the cutscene for Niaowu. Then I get a UE4 fatal crash and the game can't proceed from there. I have troubleshooted the memory card, DRAM, OS and everything seems clean. Google doesn't seem to provide any good answers for this crash. I'm 30 hours in and want to continue my Shenmue adventure badly...

Howdy folks! New guy here. Does anyone have a Shenmue 3 PC save that starts at Niaowu?

Background:
I was a backer for Shenmue 3 and just got around to playing it on PC. It has run perfectly so far, up until I get to the ascent to Bailu Tower. I solve the puzzles and fight Chai in QTE, then get the cutscene for Niaowu. Then I get a UE4 fatal crash and the game can't proceed from there. I have troubleshooted the memory card, DRAM, OS and everything seems clean. Google doesn't seem to provide any good answers for this crash. I'm 30 hours in and want to continue my Shenmue adventure badly...
Are you using mods?

Are you using mods?
None. Base game from Steam with no DLC, other than the backer code. So it seems kind odd that I can play almost 30 hours and get a crash. I can usually get as far as the QTE with Chai, but sometimes can't even get past the tokens in the tower.

None. Base game from Steam with no DLC, other than the backer code. So it seems kind odd that I can play almost 30 hours and get a crash. I can usually get as far as the QTE with Chai, but sometimes can't even get past the tokens in the tower.
Any chance you have a crash log or anything like that? It should store one in %USERPROFILE% or once the message box comes up, you should be able to CTRL+V the message straight away (without having to do CTRL+C) into here or a DM or something, that might help figure out why it's crashing.

Any chance you have a crash log or anything like that? It should store one in %USERPROFILE% or once the message box comes up, you should be able to CTRL+V the message straight away (without having to do CTRL+C) into here or a DM or something, that might help figure out why it's crashing.

This is from the latest crash. has a dmp, ini and xml file in it.

Attachments

• UE4CC-Windows-D73E6A5549735CFAB35956B1EFF9BA67_0000.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
This is from the latest crash. has a dmp, ini and xml file in it.
So from a first glance, it looks like your HW is capable at least (and above min system requirements).

Can you double check you're not overclocking? (both GPU & CPU)

Looks like you could be getting an out of memory but I'm not 100% sure. It looks like the logs report that you have no memory left to allocate, which could indicate OOM, but I guess why that's happening isn't conclusive right now. Try setting your clocks back to base and if it still doesn't work, try using the card in another rig and confirming the card is ok on another machine if possible. If not, you can try reseating your GPU and also double checking any RAM settings you have/haven't changed and likely also the PSU.

Last edited:
So from a first glance, it looks like your HW is capable at least (and above min system requirements).

Can you double check you're not overclocking? (both GPU & CPU)

Looks like you could be getting an out of memory but I'm not 100% sure. It looks like the logs report that you have no memory left to allocate, which could indicate OOM, but I guess why that's happening isn't conclusive right now. Try setting your clocks back to base and if it still doesn't work, try using the card in another rig and confirming the card is ok on another machine if possible. If not, you can try reseating your GPU and also double checking any RAM settings you have/haven't changed and likely also the PSU.
Thanks for the ideas LH. I went through the radeon and ryzen master settings and removed all potential overclocks. Then I went into the BIOS and set my memory from 3000 to 2600 mhz. Theoretically it can safely overclock to 3000 but apparently, it isn't Shenmue-safe. Once I did these things, I was able to get through the Tower and Niaowu cutscenes 100%. I believe it was the memory settings that were the sticking point. Thanks a ton!

Thanks for the ideas LH. I went through the radeon and ryzen master settings and removed all potential overclocks. Then I went into the BIOS and set my memory from 3000 to 2600 mhz. Theoretically it can safely overclock to 3000 but apparently, it isn't Shenmue-safe. Once I did these things, I was able to get through the Tower and Niaowu cutscenes 100%. I believe it was the memory settings that were the sticking point. Thanks a ton!
Glad it's fixed, good to know it's not a Shenmue III crash. I've yet to find a legitimate crash in either EGS or Steam so far.

Glad it's fixed, good to know it's not a Shenmue III crash. I've yet to find a legitimate crash in either EGS or Steam so far.
old school Yu Suzuki. Doesn't ship until done! Surprised we even have (4?) patches honestly.

Back