Retro gamer 197 will have Ryo on front cover

Managed to get mine today from WHSmiths. They had like 6 copies in the store. Such a great sight to see Ryo staring at me from a magazine rack :D About to sit down and read it after dinner!

Edit: Just managed to get hold of one of the Subscriber editions too :D Cannot wait til it comes!

Last edited:
Nothing easy about trying to get this fucker off. God damn.
Can confirm... What a pain in the ass that was lol At least it came off in one go. Nothing more I hate that having it rip into 10,000 tiny pieces :p Managed to get it off, but some sticky residue remains. Usually use surgical spirit for game cases, but not sure with this. The magazine is kinda glossy so should be fine... Here's hoping :D

Any new or interesting tidbits?

It's a very informative article on the Shenmue series and would be a great read for those unfamiliar with the franchise. For me though and I guess many people on this forum it doesn't offer anything new at all and hits the same beats from many Yu Suzuki interviews and press over the past few years. Always cool to see a Shenmue magazine cover though.

So I just went to my WHSmiths and I couldn't find the bloody thing. Granted, I was tired, my son hadn't napped and it was 4pm and I hadn't eaten a single thing all day, so I was too grouchy to ask a store assistant, but what the hell happened to WhSmiths? They used to have huge walls of magazines and now they're scattered around the store in random places, interspersed with crappy stationary and other bollocks no one buys. I guess it's a dumb question, as magazines are clearly dying a slow death. Mind you, it blows my mind WHSmiths still exists... Overpriced stationary, overpriced drinks, overpriced sweets, shite cards, overpriced books. Yeah, the store blows.

So I just went to my WHSmiths and I couldn't find the bloody thing. Granted, I was tired, my son hadn't napped and it was 4pm and I hadn't eaten a single thing all day, so I was too grouchy to ask a store assistant, but what the hell happened to WhSmiths? They used to have huge walls of magazines and now they're scattered around the store in random places, interspersed with crappy stationary and other bollocks no one buys. I guess it's a dumb question, as magazines are clearly dying a slow death. Mind you, it blows my mind WHSmiths still exists... Overpriced stationary, overpriced drinks, overpriced sweets, shite cards, overpriced books. Yeah, the store blows.

When I think of WHSmith's, I think of this:

Honestly, it's a miracle they still exist!

It's interesting that another magazine actually chose to feature this series on the cover. Though it's maybe not too surprising in this case considering the fact that they focus on retro games. I didn't really expect a lot of coverage in general though when the project started since I assumed that it might not be mainstream enough for that. Or not big enough from a commercial perspective at least.

You can order them off their website they ship to the US. I did the same thing with the EDGE magazine.

Can confirm... What a pain in the ass that was lol At least it came off in one go. Nothing more I hate that having it rip into 10,000 tiny pieces :p Managed to get it off, but some sticky residue remains. Usually use surgical spirit for game cases, but not sure with this. The magazine is kinda glossy so should be fine... Here's hoping :D

View attachment 3748
Had the exact same dilema today when I got mine today, but after some tearing up and a little rub of sticky stuff remover I got it removed:

Back