Returning Voice Actors

Sorry if its posted elsewhere, but i never found out if Paul Lucas was returning to do Lan Di and Chai's voices? Last i heard he was waiting to see if theyd contact him or deep silver were given his details or something like that.

Can anyone provide an update? Im guessing he isnt coming back if Rens voice actor is different too. Has anything been said /asked about this to Yu etc?

EDIT: Also any other info regarding voice actors in general would be good , thanks.

Last edited:
The only confirmed returning original voice actor is Corey Marshall.

There were maybe some mumblings about Lisle Wilkerson returning when she and Corey did a Q&A some months back, but not enough to really say one way or another. The complication with Eric Kelso and Paul Lucas are that they're based in Asia, and it seems they've tried to keep production local to LA this time around, which may have motivated recasts.

The only confirmed returning original voice actor is Corey Marshall.

There were maybe some mumblings about Lisle Wilkerson returning when she and Corey did a Q&A some months back, but not enough to really say one way or another. The complication with Eric Kelso and Paul Lucas are that they're based in Asia, and it seems they've tried to keep production local to LA this time around, which may have motivated recasts.

I didn't know/did forget that. It sounds less frustrating that the choice seems rather technical than artistic.

Kelso and Lucas in Shenmue 3, man... that would have been fantastic, the cherry on the cake.

Admittedly, it's just a couple of yells, but Chai still sounds like the same voice actor to me. Some people have said that Ren's voice doesn't sound like the same actor, but I think it's the same guy and his voice just changed as he got older.

Could be talking out of my ass though, we'll just have to see.

Admittedly, it's just a couple of yells, but Chai still sounds like the same voice actor to me. Some people have said that Ren's voice doesn't sound like the same actor, but I think it's the same guy and his voice just changed as he got older.

Could be talking out of my ass though, we'll just have to see.
Ren definitely isn't Eric Kelso in Shenmue III. This is much is confirmed by Eric himself if I'm recalling correctly.

Whoever they got is a decent enough soundalike though, admittedly.

Indeed. I hate to be blunt, but whenever I hear "I hope actor x is returning" I'm like but why? The Shenmue 2 dub is awful.
Take it back. Ryan Drees was the perfect embodiment of Tom Johnson and everyone knows it. Okaaaaaay? :LOL:

Edit: Drees did some voices in Shenmue 2 as well, but none so striking as his interpretation of Tom in the first game.

Last edited:
Shenmue 2 dub is awful because it had no direction at the time since Yu was bizarrely not involved. Still love Kelso's performance although I'm not native speaker.

Cheesy for English / Immersive for Japanese, the double face usage is very cool.

Ultimately, I would have prefered Shenmue 3 in Mandarin. It's a beautiful language and would have made more sense.

Thanks to the people like spaghetti that were helpful in their replies.

For people AGAIN going on about how they prefer the Jap dub, jesus wept, do you people ever stop?!?

Ive never heard people moan so much about a dub as the fans of the jap dub. We GET IT, YOU PREFER THE JAP DUB, now shutup about ti already ffs.

Thanks to the people like spaghetti that were helpful in their replies.

For people AGAIN going on about how they prefer the Jap dub, jesus wept, do you people ever stop?!?

Ive never heard people moan so much about a dub as the fans of the jap dub. We GET IT, YOU PREFER THE JAP DUB, now shutup about ti already ffs.
If people want to discuss the dubs that's fine.

There's absolutely no need to go off on them for it, completely uncalled for within quite a good topic.

Ultimately, I would have prefered Shenmue 3 in Mandarin. It's a beautiful language and would have made more sense.

I remember reading that II was gonna be in Cantonese: https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/08/new-details-on-shenmue-chapter-2

Funny reading that article that II was supposed to come out in June 2000 :p

And then a month later it was retracted:

Shenmue 2 dub is awful because it had no direction at the time since Yu was bizarrely not involved. Still love Kelso's performance although I'm not native speaker.

Cheesy for English / Immersive for Japanese, the double face usage is very cool.

Yu was involved with Shenmue IIx. Are you talking specifically about the voices?

Eric and Paul were amazing as their roles.

And Masaya Matsukaze is back for Ryo in the Japanese version. I know that Megumi Yasu, Nozomi’s voice actress, says she wanted to voice Nozomi again if she could. I also know that Takahiro Sakuragi (the voice of Lan Di and Goro) is still active in voice acting, so hopefully he’s back as Lan Di. Suzuki apparently tried to get Shen Hua’s original Japanese voice actress back, but has since retired.

It seems Matsukaze/Marshall are the only original cast members on board. It kind of sucks we didn't get Hagiwara/Kelso back for Ren but the new English language actor sounded good too. Hiroshi Fujioka would have been fucking epic too, in case there are gonna be new Iwao flashbacks but other than that I'm not that bothered. You don't really hear Lan Di talk a lot and Brianna Knickerbocker sounds OK as the new Shenhua from the clips I've heard.

So yeah. I guess we're good.

Oh yeah, and I really hope they let a man do the English voice for Yuan this time. It was a horrible idea to have a woman take over his role in the overseas versions and really took away from the character.

It seems Matsukaze/Marshall are the only original cast members on board. It kind of sucks we didn't get Hagiwara/Kelso back for Ren but the new English language actor sounded good too. Hiroshi Fujioka would have been fucking epic too, in case there are gonna be new Iwao flashbacks but other than that I'm not that bothered. You don't really hear Lan Di talk a lot and Brianna Knickerbocker sounds OK as the new Shenhua from the clips I've heard.

So yeah. I guess we're good.

Oh yeah, and I really hope they let a man do the English voice for Yuan this time. It was a horrible idea to have a woman take over his role in the overseas versions and really took away from the character.

Wait, is Yuan returning? I saw his profile on the Shenmue 3 website and thought it was possible but then dismissed it. Yuan doesn't strike me as the type to give up easily, so it would make sense. Maybe he's in cahoots with Chai to get revenge on Ryo.

I agree with that actually, Reprise; the female actor did a brilliant job, but the male actor has such a pussy voice, its fits perfectly!

Back