Revert to Original Textures

Hi.

There's an interesting file called "sdtextureoverride.json" inside tex/assets/textureoverride.
It turns out it's used to change the textures (some of which @BlueMue has already discovered).

We can rebrand (un-debrand) the entire game to revert the textures to the original Dreamcast textures.

First, create the folder structure inside sm1: tex\assets\textureoverride

Then, download the attached file and extract it into the textureoverride file, making sure the extracted file's filename is sdtextureoverride.json.8f5015c9.00000000.

Afterwards, invalidate the hash 4ef4df7e in common_5b69b0ee.tad. For example, change the first byte (0x4e) to something like 0x4f.
Basically, it's the same instructions as here, minus the hash: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/davis-shenmue-1-mod-workshop.421/

On the other hand, this could probably be used to replace textures (idea by @Radar)! Of course, nonexistent files don't need their hashes invalidated; simply put the file in the right folder.

Format:
Code:
{
        "Source":    "/model/item/atrs500g.mt5_/atrs500g_0.dds",
        "Destination":    "/textureoverride/hd_item_coke_00_c.dds"
}

It's very self-explanatory.

Attachments

• sdtextureoverride.json.8f5015c9.zip
    237 bytes · Views: 97
Last edited:
This works :)

40100054_10156606465464803_1099652592897622016_n.jpg

40053762_10156606465684803_6275047348028571648_o.jpg

Very cool! I really dislike the new texture for the watch, so I think I will try this out when I get a chance this weekend!

How do I do this on the 1.1 update? On 1.1 the file is called common_5b7bc90e.tad and I can't find any 4ef4df7e in it.

Yeah we haven’t looked into the hashes for 1.1 yet. Hopefully we’ll figure out the whole container format and the hash invalidation won’t be necessary

You’re the boss (I’m still a bit fuzzy on what your ultimate plans are; I’m guessing relying pretty much entirely on the file system fallback?)

Does this replace all the textures? I added the mod and I have the Timex branding but the coke machines are still generic and don't have any real brands in them

Edit: Well nevermind I guess, I just read that the Bells Woods Jet Cola machines are supposed to be in the US and EU versions. I thought the Coca Cola brand was in all versions because I'd only ever played the Shenmue Undub before and that had coke machines.

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know the necessary hex edit for the v2 update?
I had no issues doing this with 1.01 but I can't find the hex in common_5b7bc90e.tad with the newest update. Thanks (and thanks for the work so far too)!

Does anyone happen to know the necessary hex edit for the v2 update?
I had no issues doing this with 1.01 but I can't find the hex in common_5b7bc90e.tad with the newest update. Thanks (and thanks for the work so far too)!
On 1.02 the file got renamed to common_5b7d8ad1.tad
The hash 4ef4df7e is there when I search for it, make sure to search for hex, not text

The Shenmue 2 file for reverting is called common_5b7bcbc7.tad

Still much that could do with updating texture mapping, it would make it feel brand new again when it first came out for Dreamcast when it was still cutting edge for years after debute.

Back