Ryo Hazuki in Smash Bros, would you like it?

First of all it was stupid to not release Shenmue III in the Xbox One and not release I & II in the Switch (III as well)

Shenmue needs to reach all demographics possible

About Shenmue II being a XBOX exclusive back then (in NA) I think the other consoles sucked for image quality and textures and could have ruined the port but also SEGA made a mistake to not release part 1 in the XBOX or even could have released them both in the PC as well

Saying that, I think Ryo Hazuki would fit Smash Bros Ultimate very well, the series has memorable music and a stage in Worker's Harbor and Yellow Head Building Rooftop would have been great with all the characters that cheered for him in the fight against Dou Niu making cameos in the background

About Shenmue II being a XBOX exclusive back then (in NA) I think the other consoles sucked for image quality and textures and could have ruined the port but also SEGA made a mistake to not release part 1 in the XBOX or even could have released them both in the PC as well.
The other consoles worked with textures in a different way than Dreamcast and porting wasn't that easy before standarized Unreal Engine. But sucking would be saying too much. Dreamcast had superior mapping quality (this is argable but that's my opinion) but the others had their killer features which DC lacked. PS2 had awesome lightning capabilities, way less than Xbox (Take Splinter Cell as tech demo) and GameCube had the highest polycount of the three, allowing more round shaped models like Mario Sunshine displayed. RE4 and Killer7 also had a noticiable downport to PS2.
The reason was that Shenmue 2 for Xbox was already advanced and that was because Microsoft first console shared simmilarities with Dreamcast, remember that Sega and MS partnered for the OS and modem (Also GameCube shared common things or logical evolutions in the GPU part as if it was Dreamcast 2).

It would be funny for 2 seconds, but would cheapen the Shenmue series IMO.
Pop culture has the tendency to take something nice and drive it into the f*cking ground, and I would rather not witness that happen any further here.

(....We already got Ryo driving a forklift in some Mario Kart clone; let's just leave these characters alone now.)

Pop culture has the tendency to take something nice and drive it into the f*cking ground, and I would rather not witness that happen any further here.

(....We already got Ryo driving a forklift in some Mario Kart clone; let's just leave these characters alone now.)
Oh, agree. "Do you like X, we rebrand it, repurpose it for you, now choke on it" its how it looks to me when the market swallows pop culture. Che Guevara could be one of the most used examples, from fighting capitalism to logosymbol for tshirts.
But I don't believe a cameo over Smash Bros would affect negatively and cheaping the series. It depends on the "quantity" side, how many times Shenmue ip is used outside its own boundaries. More in the line of my colleagues, like Bruce said, it would be helpful. Nintendo its a serious and availing company, Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2...
Oh wait I just read that you called Sega All-Stars Racing a Mario Kart clone... What more?... Also you seem to have problem with the forklift.
Oof, I don't have further talk with you sir, have a nice day.

Oh, agree. "Do you like X, we rebrand it, repurpose it for you, now choke on it" its how it looks to me when the market swallows pop culture. Che Guevara could be one of the most used examples, from fighting capitalism to logosymbol for tshirts.
But I don't believe a cameo over Smash Bros would affect negatively and cheaping the series. It depends on the "quantity" side, how many times Shenmue ip is used outside its own boundaries. More in the line of my colleagues, like Bruce said, it would be helpful. Nintendo its a serious and availing company, Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2...
Oh wait I just read that you called Sega All-Stars Racing a Mario Kart clone... What more?... Also you seem to have problem with the forklift.
Oof, I don't have further talk with you sir, have a nice day.

Haha, that racing game is where I draw the line on this one 😉

Sorry, but I definitely don’t wanna see Ryo fist-fighting Kirby and Donkey Kong in the name of “publicity”

well it certainly helped Bayonetta

Shenmue was not even released for the Switch, the more people can experience Shenmue the better

the Mario Kart clone you mentioned is Sonic & SEGA All Star Racing which is actually a better racer than any Mario Kart game lol

Its a respectable opinion and also easy to understand. Yes, its fighting for publicity indeed.

well its not exactly publicity

Smash is a game that reunites a lot of iconic characters from Nintendo and from other legendary developers

The character must be good enough to get a spot and have a strong following

Ryo is good enough, he has his own move set and Shenmue music is superb

If you played the last Smash games, it also reunites music and other elements from the series the invited characters comes from (like a specific stage other characters as trophies, profiles, story) so it would pay tribute to Ryo and Shenmue not the other way!

Its not like Ryo is being humilliated for being part of it, but the opposite, the game is paying tribute to the character and his game greatness!

So Ryo in Smash Bros would be something like this:

Ryo playable character with his own moveset
Two Shenmue stages (one in Dobuita and the other in the Workers Pier)
Xiuying as an assist trophy (being summoned to help in battle)
A setlist of the best Shenmue I and II music
brand new 3D models of other important characters and their biography (Ine-San, Lan Di, Fuku-San, Nozomi, Wong, Joy, Ren, Xiuying)

and Akira from Virtua Fighter is in as an assist trophy

Attachments

• akira.jpg
    akira.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I couldn't see Ryo as a full playable character in Smash Bros. I can see him as a assist trophy. Or maybe apart of Sonic Super Smash Ultimate move.

But I prefer a evolution stage for Chao when Sega remembers they hold those blatantly cute creatures IP, a Ryo Chao its the answer to all my prayers for related content. And breeding Ryo Chao with Sonic Chao brrmhaha

Not to change the subject but I'd like to see Ryo make appearance in the Yakuza series. He could be in one of the substory missions or one of the people you have to beat in a arcade game.

Correct me if Im wong but wouldnt mean a Fortnite and/or Yakuza cameo, the updated status of "in/trendy" like in revival momentum for Shenmue? Ethics aside.

well its not exactly publicity

Smash is a game that reunites a lot of iconic characters from Nintendo and from other legendary developers

The character must be good enough to get a spot and have a strong following

Ryo is good enough, he has his own move set and Shenmue music is superb

If you played the last Smash games, it also reunites music and other elements from the series the invited characters comes from (like a specific stage other characters as trophies, profiles, story) so it would pay tribute to Ryo and Shenmue not the other way!

Its not like Ryo is being humilliated for being part of it, but the opposite, the game is paying tribute to the character and his game greatness!

So Ryo in Smash Bros would be something like this:

Ryo playable character with his own moveset
Two Shenmue stages (one in Dobuita and the other in the Workers Pier)
Xiuying as an assist trophy (being summoned to help in battle)
A setlist of the best Shenmue I and II music
brand new 3D models of other important characters and their biography (Ine-San, Lan Di, Fuku-San, Nozomi, Wong, Joy, Ren, Xiuying)

and Akira from Virtua Fighter is in as an assist trophy

....You know, imagining Princess Peach and Luigi whooping Ryo's ass with banana guns while the Shenmue theme plays in the background still wouldn't sit right with me ;-)

....You know, imagining Princess Peach and Luigi whooping Ryo's ass with banana guns while the Shenmue theme plays in the background still wouldn't sit right with me ;-)
I would be far more confortable with RGG than Smash too. But the scene you described is interesting.

why not? Solid Snake is featured in Smash games since 2008
you have guests from Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Art of Fighting, Street Fighter, Bayonetta

Back