Ryo Visits the Sun

Question since there was a lot of detail and surprisingly a fair amount of accuracy with moon and sun in original Shenmue games how you felt about the stylized version of moon in Shenmue 3?
I was thinking about what gives it a slightly artificial feeling, since Its movement is similar to the one in Shenmue 2 and I think it's because it invariably shows up as a bright, full moon. Whereas the one in Shenmue 2 has a more subtle illumination, and varies its appearance by showing lunar phases, meaning when it is included during cut scenes like the full moon above Man Mo temple when Xiuying practices at night, it makes those scenes even more memorable. Overall though, I think the moon adds a lot to the night atmosphere in S3 and I'm glad it wasn't excluded for budgetary reasons.

I was thinking about what gives it a slightly artificial feeling, since Its movement is similar to the one in Shenmue 2 and I think it's because it invariably shows up as a bright, full moon. Whereas the one in Shenmue 2 has a more subtle illumination, and varies its appearance by showing lunar phases, meaning when it is included during cut scenes like the full moon above Man Mo temple when Xiuying practices at night, it makes those scenes even more memorable. Overall though, I think the moon adds a lot to the night atmosphere in S3 and I'm glad it wasn't excluded for budgetary reasons.
I agree, and I think especially at Baili at nighttime, the moonlight can look outright stunning on the areas with no people or buildings, like the flower fields by Martial Hall or the certain parts of the path to Shenhua's.

Yeah I think because it looked unnaturally large no matter how nice it looked it seemed in contrast to the original (I am glad you brought up Xuixing cutscene which was exception). I guess it was a stylistic choice, but for the series I typically prefer when they err on the side of realism.

Back