Ryo's Bicycle in Shenmue I (Cut Content)

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
I don't think we have a thread yet in these new Dojo forums about Ryo's bicycle riding, so here one is!

I wrote a summary post about the bicycle riding feature that was potentially going to be included in Shenmue, but was left out in the end. This first part focuses on the first game, and I'll be writing a second part about what had been planned for Shenmue 2.

Blog post: Ryo's Bicycle Riding Ability - Part One

Last edited:
Yu said lots of content were cut for both the original games. I still wonder if all of it were completely scrapped, or if SEGA still have some data stored somewhere that we haven't seen yet. But it hurts to think about. That bicycle could have been kept in the game as an easter egg or as a lottery price. :unsure:

I remember the bycicle from screenshots on magazines.
Too bad it was scrapped together with the crouch animation (that was still available in what's shenmue disc).

Maybe if the HD re-releases were handled by Sega Japan with some of the original staff on-board, they could've added some of the cutted content like the bycicle...a wasted opportunity.

Maybe if the HD re-releases were handled by Sega Japan with some of the original staff on-board, they could've added some of the cutted content like the bycicle...a wasted opportunity.

i thought ys said somewhere that the bike was removed because it made the maps seem small?

i thought ys said somewhere that the bike was removed because it made the maps seem small?

So Yu said that? I always though the same too.
If map size was actually the main reason for the cut, it's strange they didn't try to include the bicycle in Shenmue 2.

Wonderful update as usual @Switch

I had of course seen a lot of the beta material about the bike but never seen all these individual animations they had created. Very detailed, as with everything about the game!

I always dreamed if Bluepoint were able to do a proper remaster of the first game they would re-introduce the bike and maybe Ryo would be able to participate in a mini-game like the original paperboy. I always found it interesting most of the apartment blocks were largely unused for most of the game.

If map size was actually the main reason for the cut, it's strange they didn't try to include the bicycle in Shenmue 2.

I can imagine they would have to drastically alter the map design to accommodate a bike due to clipping issues. Think about all the steps in Hong Kong itself.

Yeah I cannot see the bike working anywhere on both Mues. Maybe they could have had a story section in which there's no one walking around the streets (ie in the early morning) with Ryo in a hurry to get somewhere?

I can imagine they would have to drastically alter the map design to accommodate a bike due to clipping issues. Think about all the steps in Hong Kong itself.

Yes, the map layout would definitely have presented difficulties! There was a plan originally to have Ryo ride a bicycle n Shenmue 2 as well, and there are a couple of interesting images of it which I'll be covering in an upcoming post.

Yes, the map layout would definitely have presented difficulties! There was a plan originally to have Ryo ride a bicycle n Shenmue 2 as well, and there are a couple of interesting images of it which I'll be covering in an upcoming post.

Very interesting. I will look forward to that as I don’t recall any beta images of a bike in Shenmue 2.

Is that the image with Ryo on a bike and the little girl from that medicine shop in the South Carmain Qr. on the back?

Is that the image with Ryo on a bike and the little girl from that medicine shop in the South Carmain Qr. on the back?
Yes, that's the one. I'll also translate some recent-ish comments made by a Shenmue developer who talked a little about what they had planned.

Someone should make a video with all available beta-version/cut content, both images and video. All in one place. Or does it already exist? I would like to watch it!

With the way Shenmue 1 was laid out, I doubt the bike would of been of much use. Plus I believe at his age, the bicycle, at least for American audiences, would of seemed a bit weird. But those are two different cultures. Now the motorcycle we can all get behind. ^^!

However for the 2nd game the maps were much larger. I would not of minded a bicycle there.

Wonderful update as usual @Switch

I always found it interesting most of the apartment blocks were largely unused for most of the game.

Yea I found that odd myself. Some parts you just kept running up stairs and passing empty apartment after empty apartment or that was the illusion it gave me anyway.

Yea I found that odd myself. Some parts you just kept running up stairs and passing empty apartment after empty apartment or that was the illusion it gave me anyway.

I mean with the detailed routines of the first game and their day/night cycle it made sense they built all these apartment blocks populated by the citizens.

I’m just surprised outside finding tattoo parlour and one of the optional Enoki encounters they didn’t use any of the apartment buildings for some quest.

I mean with the detailed routines of the first game and their day/night cycle it made sense they built all these apartment blocks populated by the citizens.

I’m just surprised outside finding tattoo parlour and one of the optional Enoki encounters they didn’t use any of the apartment buildings for some quest.

Hmmm... are you referring to the first or second game?

First game.

Ahhh, I had gotten into talking about Shenmue 2 and that is what I thought you were talking about, as some of their areas were even worse. ^^! I personally would of liked to of seen the mahjong parlor with an actual way to play the game. I mean the whole building was there, including the tables and furniture with even people in it. You just needed the option to play it. Maybe make it into an optional quest as well. It would of gotten more people into mahjong or at least trying it out anyway.

Back