Ryo's green bag

Favourite title
Shenmue
In SI+SII he very often carries his bag with him, even in actual gameplay.

In SIII, I can only ever see it in Hotel Niaowu, is it just me but does he rarely, if ever carry it about with him?

Edit: Just seen in the opening cutscene in Niaowu he does carry it, so my point is proabably aload of shite.

I might be wrong but as far as I can remember, he tends to only carry it as long as he doesn't have any "safe" place to leave it during the day. In S3 with Shenhua's house and Niaowu hotel, he has that covered pretty much all the time.

The games tend to manage that pretty coherently, although Ryo is not carrying it in the final scene of S3 on the Great Wall, which seems like an oversight.

Last edited:
I often wondered what was the point of his iconic big green bag if he just carries all key items in his interdimensional back pocket.

I often wondered what was the point of his iconic big green bag if he just carries all key items in his interdimensional back pocket.

Did you know originally it was more like a napsack? See beta screens below-

Beta-41.png

08_1.jpg

It was mainly a plot device for the start of 2 from what I could tell. But odd that the start of the game is the only time he ever really needed it because he carries everything in that back pocket the rest of the time.

Haha, inter dimensional back pockets and bottomless bags are a thing in every game that isn't called Resident Evil 1. Imagine a Shenmue where Ryo can only hold what fits in his pocket. It'd make the stamina complaints seem like child's play...

Last edited:
All I know is the next time a dirty faced teenager approaches Ryo seeking help while he has his bag, he better shoulder buster that little motherfucker.

Fool me once. Shame on you.
Fool me twice *crunch, pop, break*

The thing that I find weird is that Ryo carries it on his left side in Shenmue II but carried it on his right side at the end of Shenmue I. He goes back to carrying it on his right side in Shenmue III, but they really could have just flipped a coin at that point since there was already a lack of continuity in that regard.

Haha, inter dimensional back pockets and bottomless bags are a thing in every game that isn't called Resident Evil 1. Imagine a Shenmue where Ryo can only hold what fits in his pocket. It'd make the stamina complaints seem like child's play...
I mean, even Resident Evil has magical hammerspace pockets. Sure, there is a limit to the amount of items you can carry but shotguns and bazookas fit in your pockets and take up the same amount of space as keys.

Back