(S1) Japanese timings + All dialogues

I've been looking into this. AFAIK, the files responsible for the voice timings are the *.pks inside humans.afs. Simply swapping this file with the Dreamcast ntsc-j one causes mayhem because the dubs have different naming schemes and whatnot. But after also putting the Japanese audio files in the "eng" folder and flipping some columns in the subtitles file, everything gets back in sync. Awkward pauses no more:

Also, now the lines of dialog that d3t didn't match to anything, because they don't exist in the English dub, are back in the game, although these are obvs missing the subtitles. I assume this is the same 3% of dialog that was still in Japanese in the Kogami undub DC release, and that was never officially translated.

However, there are other lines that are also missing subtitles: a bunch of Hi/Yes/Konnichiwa/Onii-Chan/Nani and the like. For instance:
So, yeah, the problem is that the re-releases are using the wrong track on these occasions. There it should be F1050A009, not F1050A008. In fact, 8 doesn't get used anymore and 9 doesn't get used at all, so this looks like a simple oversight (?). Anyway, after correcting the track's number in the .sub file the subtitle reappears.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but overall I prefer it even as is rather than with the pauses. I can upload stuff if someone is interested, though maybe there's a simpler way of achieving the same thing?

Edit: no need to do anything with the voice files.

Last edited:
This is just awesome!
Slowly, the PC version is being fixed into the best possible iteration of the game.

I'm finishing the Spanish translation, and I found some japanese lines on the English archive. Those are an example.

So then... It's possible to add those too?

I think those lines and the others like SY01* or SY02* are not used in any version of the game (not 100% sure about it).

This is awesome, great job; would it be possible to write a guide on how to implement this for dummies like me? :p

Link: https://mega.nz/#!bm5hRYDC!yY_8yTzoRofc6DeWFYaTt8OHT6kkKzbL4YIv0xSTlXk

Install Forklift in the sm1 folder, if you haven't already, and extract the 7z there as well. That should be it. Don't play with the English dub with this 'cause everything will be out of order.

Included are English and Japanese subtitles. I've rebuilt anew the "free" part of the subtitles from the data inside the NTSC-J humans.afs. So, unless I've fucked up somewhere, there shouldn't be any missing lines in Japanese any more (at least from the "free" part).

For the English I've started with the rebuilt Japanese subs and then used a script to replace the lines with the ones in the original English subs, as well as correcting several lines that have the wrong track assigned there ... and some other fix. Bottom line, 709 lines remain in Japanese (out of a total of 21919 "free" lines).

The non-free lines (starting from "01208019000") are copied straight from the original subs except for a couple of changes. Both dubs share the same nomenclature here, so there wasn't much to do. One line was missing while shopping at Bunkado Antiques, and I've not found any other so far.

A bit off-topic but I was playing with English subtitles and the Japanese font and it looks nicer IMHO.

Attachments

• 20190708210707_1.jpg
    20190708210707_1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190709025451_1.jpg
    20190709025451_1.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thank you so much!

Link: https://mega.nz/#!bm5hRYDC!yY_8yTzoRofc6DeWFYaTt8OHT6kkKzbL4YIv0xSTlXk

Install Forklift in the sm1 folder, if you haven't already, and extract the 7z there as well. That should be it. Don't play with the English dub with this 'cause everything will be out of order.

Included are English and Japanese subtitles. I've rebuilt anew the "free" part of the subtitles from the data inside the NTSC-J humans.afs. So, unless I've fucked up somewhere, there shouldn't be any missing lines in Japanese any more (at least from the "free" part).

For the English I've started with the rebuilt Japanese subs and then used a script to replace the lines with the ones in the original English subs, as well as correcting several lines that have the wrong track assigned there ... and some other fix. Bottom line, 709 lines remain in Japanese (out of a total of 21919 "free" lines).

The non-free lines (starting from "01208019000") are copied straight from the original subs except for a couple of changes. Both dubs share the same nomenclature here, so there wasn't much to do. One line was missing while shopping at Bunkado Antiques, and I've not found any other so far.
Do you still have the file for this mod?
Replaying Shenmue soon and would love to use this but the link is down. :(

Back