Saturn thread

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
Just thought I’d make a thread dedicated to the best console for import gaming, the Sega Saturn. While ‘Murica and Europe screwed up with it, a good solid majority of games were exclusive to Japan.

My personal import favorites are X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Zero 3, Cyberbots, Dungeons and Dragons, Vampire Savior and Dragon Ball Z Legends

For international releases, I enjoy Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop 2, Burning Rangers, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon RPG (but I have the Japanese version)

I've got my model 1 sat at home. Great piece of kit.

Loved games like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Bug, Die Hard Arcade, Nights, Fighters Megamix and more.

I've never imported for it though.

Good topic choice btw

Still got mine.

Would love Sega to 're release their Saturn collection. So many great games today's gamers need a chance to play.

Best system of all time. Yeah I said it. I could play Batsugun and SEGA Rally forever.

I never had one back in the day. But when I finally did get one a few years ago, it was specifically so I could play Legend of Oasis and the original Gungriffon. I've always wanted to play Burning Rangers as well, but the money it goes for, I'm sure I'll never get the chance.

I missed the Saturn back then, and had N64 and a Playstation instead. But i got a japanese Saturn in early 2018 and I am starting a collection new.

Love my Saturn. It's been at my parent's house for years, I really need to get it over to my place. I loved Blazing Heroes, Fights Megamix, Shining Wisdom, SEGA Rally, Virtua Cop, Virtual On, and Virtua Fighter 2. I have since purchased Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, along with the mission stick. Really wish I could grab a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, or pick up a Japanese copy and find a good translation guide.

Last edited:
I bought a boxed Sega Saturn for around $40 in the early 2000's with 3 games: The Story of Thor 2, Sega Rally and Sega Ages, I think that was a pretty good introduction to what the system had to offer.

Over the years I've whipped up a decent collection for the Saturn of around 35 games and undoubtedly one of the greatest things about the Saturn is the ease of playing imports(thank you action replay RAM cartridge). In fact I would suggest that if you are to collect for the Saturn you are better off seeking the Japanese versions of games as they tend to be cheaper. Nowadays if I want to fire up old the Saturn I mainly play fighting games, some absolute classics on the system such as:

-Fighters Megamix
-Last Bronx (or Rast Bwonx!)
-Dead or Alive
-Fighting Vipers
-Virtua Fighter 2

I really enjoy a lot of the early 3D fighting games around the Playstation, Saturn and N64 era. Also the Saturn had some amazing 2D fighters such as the arcade perfect Marvel vs Street Fighter.
Overall, Sega Saturn is a pretty good console with plenty of hidden gems, I only wish it weren't so damn expensive to collect for.

Last edited:
I region modded one of my Saturns myself in a crude manner. An open cable to select 50/60Hz and one of those all in one cartridges that is.
Not that I have that many imports at all. Dead or Alive and Snatcher and that's it.

I got the Saturn pretty late in its commercial life. Remember getting the Sega Magazin before really thinking about the system too much, it was already the one with Sega Touring Car Championship on the cover. Got the system with Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter and also some other stuff and most importantly Sonic 3D. It was meant as a gift so I had to wait until I was "really" allowed to play it, but I couldn't resist giving Daytona USA a spin time and time again. In Sonic 3D I was blown away by the (at the time) awesome special stage.

From there on I got Nights and waited anxiously for the release of Sonic R. It was really a tough time as a Sonic fan, with no real new Sonic game at the time. Only a few other games here and there and it was already time for the Dreamcast to launch.

Of course I acquired a bunch more games over the time but not nearly as much as for the DC or MD though it easily takes the third place among the Sega machines at 41 games.

I region modded one of my Saturns myself in a crude manner. An open cable to select 50/60Hz and one of those all in one cartridges that is.
Not that I have that many imports at all. Dead or Alive and Snatcher and that's it.

I got the Saturn pretty late in its commercial life. Remember getting the Sega Magazin before really thinking about the system too much, it was already the one with Sega Touring Car Championship on the cover. Got the system with Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter and also some other stuff and most importantly Sonic 3D. It was meant as a gift so I had to wait until I was "really" allowed to play it, but I couldn't resist giving Daytona USA a spin time and time again. In Sonic 3D I was blown away by the (at the time) awesome special stage.

From there on I got Nights and waited anxiously for the release of Sonic R. It was really a tough time as a Sonic fan, with no real new Sonic game at the time. Only a few other games here and there and it was already time for the Dreamcast to launch.

Of course I acquired a bunch more games over the time but not nearly as much as for the DC or MD though it easily takes the third place among the Sega machines at 41 games.
Haha, yeah I can definitely relate to the loooooong wait for a new actual Sonic game. As young me had foolishly decided to sell most of my Mega Drive games (including the Sonics!) however, Sonic Jam was a very welcome stop-gap as well.
I still remember the day I got Fighters Megamix, I was ridiculously excited for that game. If only they'd re-release it, or better yet, do a new one (yeah, I know, wishing for that in a world where it seems like we won't even get a Virtua Fighter 6...)

I first was able to play Saturn back when it was relevant(if you could even say it was ever relevant in the states) because my childhood friend had one. Since then, I never met a single other person who ever owned one, and the console was largely ignored by myself until recently...

Bought one two years ago once I realized all that I had been missing. It's a nice first model US version in great condition and I snagged a few games. Since then, I've learned about psuedosaturn and now get to enjoy any game available. Now I just gotta figure out how to get a better connection out of it, and grab some better controllers. I'm really trying to jump head first into this console, really hoping to get a rhea or phoebe one day if they're ever available...

I first was able to play Saturn back when it was relevant(if you could even say it was ever relevant in the states) because my childhood friend had one. Since then, I never met a single other person who ever owned one, and the console was largely ignored by myself until recently...

Bought one two years ago once I realized all that I had been missing. It's a nice first model US version in great condition and I snagged a few games. Since then, I've learned about psuedosaturn and now get to enjoy any game available. Now I just gotta figure out how to get a better connection out of it, and grab some better controllers. I'm really trying to jump head first into this console, really hoping to get a rhea or phoebe one day if they're ever available...

He was selling Rhea the other week but I think they went in literally seconds. Keep an eye on the GDEMU website as periodically he has more up for sale. You need to be around at the time they go on sale and some luck.

Enemy Zero is a great little gem. One of the hardest horror games out there (might be the hardest I've ever played) but also one of the most tense.

He was selling Rhea the other week but I think they went in literally seconds. Keep an eye on the GDEMU website as periodically he has more up for sale. You need to be around at the time they go on sale and some luck.
Yeah and it always happens I'm not able to buy when it's available... I work two jobs so stopping everything for a 2 minute window isn't really easy lol

If you know someone who is about you could ask them to get it for you. I was lucky that someone got my details in for GDEMU.

Because of Shenmue the Dreamcast just edges it for me else the Saturn would be my greatest console of all time! It's a shame the way things went with it, as it's such an awesome system with way more hidden gems than people give credit for it. I've loved collecting for it, and i'm just 21 PAL games shy of a full set - although they're all very expensive :(

All of my favourite PAL games -

NiGHTS, Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Sonic 3D, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga, Parodius, Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade, Die Hard Trilogy, House of the Dead (the original is the best imo), Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Robo Pit, Clockwork Knight 1 & 2, Enemy Zero, Daytona, Fighters Megamix, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Tomb Raider, Keio 2, Manx TT, Sega Ages Volume 1 (first time I played these games before Shenmue!), Sky Target, Virtua Fighter, Robotica, Virtual On, Whizz :p

There is this special arcade controller for Saturn that I’ve always wanted to get. I forgot the model name, but I’ve seen it a few times in Akihabara but I don’t want to carry it home on a 90 min train ride home

Back