Saturn thread

Just found my Saturn at my parent's house! Now all I need to do is get the best video output for my new TV...

Just found my Saturn at my parent's house! Now all I need to do is get the best video output for my new TV...
Let me know how that works out...

Only got a Saturn about 3-4 years ago, but dang! A whole new world opened up to me. It really is a 2d powerhouse.
last year I also got a Viktor Saturn for my Japan imports which is where this console shines imo. Elevator action returns is my most recent addition and i'm loving it. One of the reasons I got a Sony Bvm for those awesome scanlines.

I know it won't look drop dead gorgeous, but I intend on following this video's advice:
Yeah I've been watching that too lol. My choices are basically buy a CRT with S-video input or get RGBScart cables through OSSC or something like that. Or maybe S-video to OSSC? I dunno, we'll see... it's hard being an American with this stuff lol

Yeah I've been watching that too lol. My choices are basically buy a CRT with S-video input or get RGBScart cables through OSSC or something like that. Or maybe S-video to OSSC? I dunno, we'll see... it's hard being an American with this stuff lol
At the very least you don't have to deal with 50/60hz stuff for the most part, or games that were intended to run in 60hz and were forced to 50hz so they run about 17% slower. I would highly recommend a Sony Trinitron PVM/Bvm series monitor, they are amazing crt's that were used as reference monitors in tv/movie bussiness. perfect for those 240p games, like the Saturn or below, I have a 14'' pvm and a 20'' bvm in my setup now and would never go back to modern display's for any generation pre-dating the Dreamcast. it IS another hurdle to setup though, plus because their recent surge in popularity prices have inflated to insane amount for even a 9'' pvm up to a 150 bucks.

At the very least you don't have to deal with 50/60hz stuff for the most part, or games that were intended to run in 60hz and were forced to 50hz so they run about 17% slower. I would highly recommend a Sony Trinitron PVM/Bvm series monitor, they are amazing crt's that were used as reference monitors in tv/movie bussiness. perfect for those 240p games, like the Saturn or below, I have a 14'' pvm and a 20'' bvm in my setup now and would never go back to modern display's for any generation pre-dating the Dreamcast. it IS another hurdle to setup though, plus because their recent surge in popularity prices have inflated to insane amount for even a 9'' pvm up to a 150 bucks.
Yeah I've been looking those up and my god are they pricey... I think I'll just stick with some generic box since I want something in the 30" range at least... Or go HD I dunno it's too hard to decide lol

My current HDTV does an AMAZING job upscaling and dealing with these consoles, I'm actually really impressed. The only issue I'm having is that it doesn't have an RGBSCART or even an S-video port. I'm trying to hook up a genesis and saturn and the options are just mind boggling. I also have a dreamcast but that fits nicely in the VGA port...

But then I consider things like light gun games I'm missing out on and it's like fuck man... what do? So many options...

Yeah I've been looking those up and my god are they pricey... I think I'll just stick with some generic box since I want something in the 30" range at least... Or go HD I dunno it's too hard to decide lol

My current HDTV does an AMAZING job upscaling and dealing with these consoles, I'm actually really impressed. The only issue I'm having is that it doesn't have an RGBSCART or even an S-video port. I'm trying to hook up a genesis and saturn and the options are just mind boggling. I also have a dreamcast but that fits nicely in the VGA port...

But then I consider things like light gun games I'm missing out on and it's like fuck man... what do? So many options...
Definitely get a cheap crt from a goodwill or something, you can try it out what works best for you.

Back