Secrets for the Frustrating Cat Fish Stamp Quest & Fish Tournaments

Favourite title
Shenmue III
Normally I would just post this in the Fishing Thread, but the fishing side-quests have a ton of crazy RNG rules that are far-fetched in comparison to your daily & regular fishing habits.

Fish Tournament

The first fishing tournament provides you an exclusive shirt. Most people aren't having a problem with this quest, but it can be quite frustrating since your opponent will automatically upsize his fish approximately every hour of the three hour tournament. Within the time range, you want to catch a fish to feel safe at 3,500g, but I noticed the RNG is far more strict for this size in the tournament. Don't fish at the big pond near the Tackle Shop because it takes longer to reel in the fish in comparison to other spots.

Also it's worth mentioning: sign up for the tournament no later than 11:30 and save after. If you show up at 11:50 and save before activating the quest the dialogue will last to long and will go past the noon deadline to enter the tournament; resulting in an immediate DQ.

Catfish Stamp Quest

Now the Color Catfish Stamp quest is the real beast. So you will feel satisfied when you get the Fishing Jacket. Start the quest by going to the Tackle Shop as early as you can. Buy the rod and factor in after each colored catfish you will have to run back to the shop to rent another rod, making this an endurance test as well as a fishing quest. Also say hi to the owner right after he tells you what fish to catch to receive an additional notebook entry for the quest on the particular colored fish!

The White Catfish is at the big pond right next to the Tackle Box. DO NOT go to the other spot closest to the exit. I did and got ZERO White Catfish. Catch the fish in the green plants in the middle of the water. Don't go to far away from the plants or the RNG to catch the white catfish drops dramatically in favor of trout.

The Blue Catfish seems far more annoying than the last, and I fished around for a long time with NOTHING. Reloading constantly at 10:20am and not letting the clock go past 12:30pm. This spot in the back left corner shown in the video provided is a guaranteed place to catch this reclusive fish, and it can be collected by simply dropping the bait line in this spot & keeping it there in the current and rocks.

The Green Catfish is a stinker too. The carp seem to zoom from the left corner cave all the way to the right side. To avoid the stream of carp position your rod to the smaller cave on the left side closer to the center of the open water. Quickly reel at a southwest angle to avoid the carp and then slow down to regularly catch catfish. This sounds nuts, but it works.

The Red Catfish seems to chill right where I have my line in this video. I couldn't catch him from the left side at all, and I couldn't seem to catch the red catfish if it wasn't during the event quest itself. Can you? Maybe that's why Huang calls it the rarest of the cat fish.

Last edited:
I had zero issue catching the first three catfish. All you have to do is keep your line in the area Huang tells you they are. The red catfish has given me some trouble.

Want to give some thanks for these tips now, as they were very helpful!

I had some trouble figuring out how the strategy was meant to go down for the green catfish but after some time I got it.
It sounds a bit complicated and confusing. On the second time doing the rally now and I got it more simplified.
I just threw straight ahead to the rock in the middle and started reeling in hard while holding left and would do so until sometime got hooked. This went pretty well as they were biting fast, so I managed to catch 24 fish with over 30kg in total inclusing THREE green catfish in one session.

I couldn't catch the red catfish and thus failed the stamp rally :(

What was really confusing was the use of the word "cave". I know you go under a small arch to go there, but I couldn't see any actual "cave" that the fish were supposed to be coming out of. Is "cave" the word used in Japanese as well?

I couldn't catch the red catfish and thus failed the stamp rally :(

What was really confusing was the use of the word "cave". I know you go under a small arch to go there, but I couldn't see any actual "cave" that the fish were supposed to be coming out of. Is "cave" the word used in Japanese as well?
I play in French: I don't remember something about a cave, but there was a clear mention of a "natural arch".

Can you catch the first 3 on a day then the final one the following day?

Edit: Yes. Yes you can.

Last edited:
Back