Sega Collections

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
Resident Evil 5 (PS4), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I'm sure it has, but I digress.

Why haven't we seen GameGear/SMS, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn or Dreamcast game compilations release on modern systems? They seem to only focus on the Genesis/MegaDrive. We've seen Genesis collections release for PS2, PSP, PS3 and PS4 (and other systems within those gens), but we're still left holding an empty basket for all of their other systems. There was hopes we'd see the mini Saturn or Dreamcast after the mini Genesis... but still nothing. The closest we got for Game Gear was the Game Gear mini which had what... 4 games on each respective color making it little more than a novelty.

We've seen them release the Shenmue collection separate from a Dreamcast collection so that was welcome... but what about all the other great games left behind to standard def eyesore agony?

I would personally love a Saturn collection with Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, etc.
I would buy a full Game Gear collection with the great Sonic games, Jurassic Park, Streets of Rage, etc.
I would buy a Dreamcast collection with Ecco, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, etc.

So why haven't they done it?

Genesis/Mega Drive sells. Unfortunate, but it's true.

I agree though. Sega has an amazing back catalogue and they don't take advantage of it! They have so many incredible arcade games that have never been ported to consoles. Not to mention, all the amazing consoles you mention whose libraries they neglect.

I mean it really shouldn't have taken them as long as it did to release what was - let's face it - a very basic, minimum effort HD port of Shenmue 1 and 2.

Where's the Jet Set Radio HD Collection? JSR Future is still stuck on the original XBox. Where's Skies of Arcadia HD? Where's the Virtua Fighter Collection? Where's the Arcade Classics collection? We need some Saturn ports too.

It's sad really.

We've got less-known games like Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Shining Force III that also need to get ports. It's really a tragedy that more people haven't been able to experience titles like those.

We've got less-known games like Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Shining Force III that also need to get ports. It's really a tragedy that more people haven't been able to experience titles like those.
Unfortunately, PDS has the incoveneience of having lost its source code.

I think the lack of arcade ports is the most egregious thing. It's such a big part of their history and enough time has passed where people kind of forgot that Sega made all of these great arcade games. They could release all of their racing games on a compilation, for example. Or even release the games from the Astro City Mini on consoles and PC.

Then of course I fully agree that they should release more Saturn and Dreamcast compilations, with perhaps a few minor QOL tweaks if possible. They could also do a few themed releases, like Strategy RPGs, or at the very least a Shining Force Collection that has 1, 2, 3, and CD.

There's also the idea of following in Square's footsteps and making "pixel remasters" of the classic 8-bit and 16-bit games like the Phantasy Star series (and hell, why not Shining Force!). I know those don't have the same brand power of Final Fantasy, but I think bundling them in a compilation could be a good value proposition.

Has there been any Console released Classic Collection Bundle since the invasion of the Mini Systems? I see there's an Atari 50th Anniverary Collection on PS5, Capcom has an Arcade Bundle on digital - Which already has 2 versions....

SEGA did release a Dreamcast Collection on Xbox 360 but it was very underwhelming - Still at least we have a few others released digitally like the 1st Jet Set Radio HD. Can't sem to get Soul Calibur HD off the Xbox store anymore though.

While I do liek the concept of the Mini Consoles, I wouold be perfectly fine without the asstehtic experience and playing a ood 40+ game bundle on my PS5. I think SEGA really lost me with the Mini Consoles with the Megadrive II. Samething but double the price, no thanks, I'll just mod my original SEGA MD Classic instead.

The Video Game Industry really needs to step-up their game on video game preservation in general. Emulation really is the go-to for classic gaming experiences - which I get the controversy around that but at least it is accessible.

I think SEGA really lost me with the Mini Consoles with the Megadrive II. Samething but double the price, no thanks, I'll just mod my original SEGA MD Classic instead.

Same. It was kinda cool and had some really interesting choices for its library of games, but the price stung for sure. I had it preordered and cancelled it in the end, as it just felt like a waste of money.

I just feel I am done with these mini consoles. They seemed like an awesome idea at first, but just feel gimmicky all these years later. It would have been better if they had made the library expandable through additional game compilation releases they came on a real cartridge. Kind of like what the Evercade did. Instead of releasing the Mega Drive II Mini console, imagine if the model I release had a working cartridge slot and you could later buy, say, an RPG collection cartridge? Or a SHMUP collection? Or a Capcom collection? A Sonic collection? Etc.

Anyways, I digress. My point is I would much prefer releases on modern consoles. I have no interest in playing my mini consoles anymore. Just give me the games on modern consoles! And not just rush jobs, but good proper decent releases, like M2 have done.

I don't understand why Sega has just sat on so many awesome old games and not re-released them for modern consoles. I definitely agree that it's all their arcade games that particularly sting, since many of those have never hit any consoles. Still, some of their old Saturn and Dreamcast games really could do with being re-released. I get why they would be nervous with Saturn games, because the system was never a huge hit in the West and so there isn't that nostalgia there. Not to mention that era of gaming has really aged and is more difficult to really remaster or upscale convincingly for the modern era. But come on, at least give us Nights and Christmas Nights.

Has there been any Console released Classic Collection Bundle since the invasion of the Mini Systems? I see there's an Atari 50th Anniverary Collection on PS5, Capcom has an Arcade Bundle on digital - Which already has 2 versions....
The biggest collections I've seen recently are Sonic Origins (again, Genesis with Sonic CD added), and the Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection which is mostly Nintendo and Arcade.

Unfortunately, PDS has the incoveneience of having lost its source code.
I've heard that, but I've also wondered if that's increasingly less of a block to a port as emulation continues to advance. I feel like it's got to happen eventually, and it'd be nice if Sega started working on it earlier rather than later!

But maybe it is just that much of a challenge right now. :( Still, a Shining Force III port would be nice, and maybe we can get Panzer Dragoon 2 remade since we got the first one recently.

The lack of a Jet Set Radio Future really baffles me, since presumably it wouldn't be that difficult to port over from the Xbox.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, I'm sure it has, but I digress.

Why haven't we seen GameGear/SMS, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn or Dreamcast game compilations release on modern systems? They seem to only focus on the Genesis/MegaDrive. We've seen Genesis collections release for PS2, PSP, PS3 and PS4 (and other systems within those gens), but we're still left holding an empty basket for all of their other systems. There was hopes we'd see the mini Saturn or Dreamcast after the mini Genesis... but still nothing. The closest we got for Game Gear was the Game Gear mini which had what... 4 games on each respective color making it little more than a novelty.

We've seen them release the Shenmue collection separate from a Dreamcast collection so that was welcome... but what about all the other great games left behind to standard def eyesore agony?

I would personally love a Saturn collection with Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, etc.
I would buy a full Game Gear collection with the great Sonic games, Jurassic Park, Streets of Rage, etc.
I would buy a Dreamcast collection with Ecco, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, etc.

So why haven't they done it?
Firstly, it could be a matter of logistics and resources. Creating a compilation of games takes time and effort, and it may be that Sega has chosen to prioritize the Genesis/MegaDrive due to its popularity and the larger number of games available. It's also possible that there are legal or licensing issues that make it more difficult to release compilations for some of these other systems.

Secondly, it's worth considering the demand for these compilations. While there are certainly fans who would love to see collections of games from the GameGear, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast, it's possible that Sega doesn't see enough market potential to justify the investment. Of course, this is a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, as it's hard to gauge demand without actually releasing a compilation.

Lastly, it's worth noting that Sega has released some compilations for these other systems in the past. For example, there was a Sega CD collection released for the PC back in 1997, and the Dreamcast Collection was released for Xbox 360 and PC in 2011. However, these collections were not as comprehensive as the Genesis collections and may not have been as successful, which could be another reason why Sega has been hesitant to release more.

Back