Sega IPs

BruceWayne911

Arm Break Fire (➡️⬅️⬅️ 👐)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Why doesn't Sega still release those great AAA titles they once did? While Sonic Mania is good its pretty much a remake of old Sonic games. Whats going on with Sega?

I think SEGA has been improving a hell of a lot lately. Sonic Mania, Yakuza 6, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Fist of the North Star, Shenmue I & II, bringing loads of games to the PC. I think they're realising what their fans want.

I think it's simply because Sonic is a safe bet. Things may slowly start changing now, with people putting money where their mouth is. It's been mentioned just how surprised Sega is at the support for Shenmue has been across the board, and that's despite the large requests for years. I would suspect they will soon look at just how many other IP's they have been sleeping on. Developing new ones is always a risk. Playing it safe is the game right now.

Aren't Sega's AAA games of today mainly Yakuza and the Sonic games? They are still releasing those, besides Valkyria Chronicles, Fist of the North Star , Monster Boy and a team Sonic racing game. All this year or so. If you are asking about re-releasing AAA games of old, Shenmue says hello. They are not the giant they once were, but they are still pretty present in the industry.

Are you asking why SEGAs games are now bad?

Sega has always had good IPs but they have only been willing to put out bad Sonic games. Sega is now starting to find a little bit of life but I believe they could go further if they continue to release those AAA titles that everybody loved.

Aren't Sega's AAA games of today mainly Yakuza and the Sonic games? They are still releasing those, besides Valkyria Chronicles, Fist of the North Star , Monster Boy and a team Sonic racing game. All this year or so. If you are asking about re-releasing AAA games of old, Shenmue says hello. They are not the giant they once were, but they are still pretty present in the industry.

Sega has been playing is safe for a long time. I'd like to see them get back in the game and deliver to us some great games.

Sega has always had good IPs but they have only been willing to put out bad Sonic games. Sega is now starting to find a little bit of life but I believe they could go further if they continue to release those AAA titles that everybody loved.
Well they have re-released quite a few titles be it through HD ports or collections, unfortunately the HD ports didn't sell very well which is why they decided to stop with future planned re-releases. As for the quality of their games it could be either a rushed team or simply lack of talent amongst their employees. Although they have released quite a few good titles too over the past decade. I guess except for sonic and yakuza titles the reason why they won't continue with most of their classic IPs is because they don't generate enough revenue compared to cost of development.

Sega has been playing is safe for a long time. I'd like to see them get back in the game and deliver to us some great games.

I think they would if their games had a bigger demand or sold better. I've read that their financials in the last year are bad, so we can't exactly blame them for playing safe.

Sega is pretty good lately, and i can give them a lot of props for listening to fans a lot. If you follow yakuza series than its easy to see.

Sega is pretty good lately, and i can give them a lot of props for listening to fans a lot. If you follow yakuza series than its easy to see.

Just recently found out about the Yakuza series. Somebody was telling me it was the spiritual successor of Shenmue.

Just recently found out about the Yakuza series. Somebody was telling me it was the spiritual successor of Shenmue.
Its not really though. They're both set in Japan, made by Sega, involve fighting and side activities. Aside those similarities, they have a totally different feel in my opinion.

Do you reccomend I start with 1 or 0?
100% 0.Its fantastic and set prior to 1.Also they implemented small nods to 0 in the remake of Kiwami 1. Kiwami is much smaller in scope than 0 and the story isn't as good, but still thoroughly enjoyable, just a heads up!

I would say that Kiwami is enjoyable as a Yakuza fan invested in the world and story of Yakuza but wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer as it feels outdated and lacks much of the content and quality of other titles that makes up for that outdated feel. Definitely start with zero, there's a reason why we heard so much about the game but not so much about Kiwami.

0 is perfect for newcomers. Kiwami is good, but its a bit smaller and comes with different style, i can only recommend it if you like dark games. Unlike shiny 0, Kiwami is more like resident evil without zombies especially in the original version on ps2.

Sega just recently in their fiscal report said they were looking into reviving old IPs. And this seems true because we are getting the Shenmue collection. Last night on SpawnWave's SpawnCast YouTuber DteamcastGuy said that the reason that the Shenmue collection is priced so low/competitively is for Sega to see if it sells well and there is interest in older titles, and if it does well there is the heavy rumor that a Jet Set Radio collection is coming next. Which is awesome because that is my 2nd favorite Sega series.

and if it does well there is the heavy rumor that a Jet Set Radio collection is coming next. Which is awesome because that is my 2nd favorite Sega series.
What's the source on that rumor? I've been waiting for JSRF HD as much as shenmue, it would be amazing to finally get it.

What's the source on that rumor? I've been waiting for JSRF HD as much as shenmue, it would be amazing to finally get it.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear how I wrote it above, I meant that DreamcastGuy said that as well on the SpawnCast. I hope he is right because he has had contact with Sega in the past.

Reactions: SCQ
Back