Shenhau's Outfit is Changable

A cool thing about the Story dlc is after you finish it, you can change Shenhua's outfit back and forth at any time. The results are visible in the cutscenes, which is a nice touch. A funny thing is when she is wearing the green outfit in New Game plus Bailu Village, when you leave her home, she waves to you from her window . Normally she comes out to the yard to see you off.

It’s really a missed opportunity they didn’t have her original outfit as DLC or item you can earn.

I know.

Shenhua's radical, unsolicited, unwarranted, shocking redesign it my biggest issue with the game.

I remember in 2017 I held out hope that the banana suit was just temporary... but alas it was permanent.

I never would have guessed in a million years that Shenhua would be changed for S3 and I can't understand why they did what they did.

I know.

Shenhua's radical, unsolicited, unwarranted, shocking redesign it my biggest issue with the game.

I remember in 2017 I held out hope that the banana suit was just temporary... but alas it was permanent.

I never would have guessed in a million years that Shenhua would be changed for S3 and I can't understand why they did what they did.

Look after 18 years I think most fans support Suzuki’s desire to tinker or alter designs. While very much like the logo I think it’s inferior to the originals, what I don’t understand is why not offer the original design as cosmetic DLC?

The game has plenty of fan service, most of which is pretty tasteful, they couldn’t have satisfied core fans who were unhappy with redesign with simple costume swap.

Look after 18 years I think most fans support Suzuki’s desire to tinker or alter designs. While very much like the logo I think it’s inferior to the originals, what I don’t understand is why not offer the original design as cosmetic DLC?

The game has plenty of fan service, most of which is pretty tasteful, they couldn’t have satisfied core fans who were unhappy with redesign with simple costume swap.

This wasn't a tinkering... it was a wholesale change that didn't make sense.

It's beyond the banana suit as well... it's Shenhua's whole personality that was changed to the point I'm wondering if S3 Shenhua was an imposter.

From her snapping at Ryo early on after he merely asked her if her father's letter contained clues to her giving Ryo the silent treatment in Niaowu.

I just... don't understand it.

Hopefully we can at least get the original Shenhua costume as DLC.....

I didn't feel her personality changed at all.
Changing a design and voice so radically is always tricky when you try to keep the same character. Look at Nozomi who sounds completely different in Japanese - an absolute tomboy.

I think they just needed Shenhua to say "here is my village outfit. The previous one is the one I wear when I cross Languishan" and no one would complain - assuming they had the time to design her original outfit.

Last edited:
I didn't feel her personality changed at all.
Changing a design and voice so radically is always tricky when you try to keep the same character. Look at Nozomi who sounds completely different in Japanese - an absolute tomboy.

I think they just needed Shenhua to say "here is my village outfit. The previous one is the one I wear when I cross Languishan" and no one would complain - assuming they had the time to design her original outfit.

Problem with that is that we have seen sequences that take place after S3 which feature Shenhua in her original outfit.

Problem with that is that we have seen sequences that take place after S3 which feature Shenhua in her original outfit.
Yes but none of those scenes are actually in games, just old artwork. There's a big difference.

Lol, you guys are way too much purists to the past. Shenhua was basically wearing a burlap sack in Shenmue 2. Yu Suzuki said one reason why she dressed like a ragamuffin was that was all Dreamcast could render at that time . Her outfit has been improved and updated for our times, and more detailed based on what the current hardware can render. Not only that, but her green outfit is based on original concept art Yu Suzuki had made for Shenhua when Shenmue was originally being designed in 1996. So saying its not true to the originals is totally bogus. Yu Suzuki said he conceived a different look for Shenhua for every month of the year, and me the concept art reflected that. D'oh!!

Screenshot_2020-05-26-04-32-00.pngScreenshot_2020-05-26-04-31-47.pngScreenshot_2020-05-26-04-31-09.pngScreenshot_2020-05-26-04-30-11.png

Last edited:
Lol, you guys are way too much purists to the past. Shenhua was basically wearing a burlap sack in Shenmue 2. Yu Suzuki said one reason why she dressed like a ragamuffin was that was all four could render at that time . Her outfit has been improved and updated for out or times, and more detailed based on what the current hardware can render. Not only that, but her green outfit is based on original concept art Yu Suzuki had made for Shenhua when Shenmue was originally being designed in 1996. So saying its not true to the originals is totally bogus. Yu Suzuki said he conceived a different look for Shenhua for every month of the year, and me the concept art reflected that. D'oh!!

View attachment 7898View attachment 7899View attachment 7900View attachment 7901
On a side note how many tabs do you need open :p

I'm sure they we're going to let Shenua in the fancy New Dim sum restaurant dressed in a burlap sack.....

A funny thing is when she is wearing the green outfit in New Game plus Bailu Village, when you leave her home, she waves to you from her window . Normally she comes out to the yard to see you off.
I believe this is actually tied to the rapport system. I remember seeing this on an initial playthrough, anyway (mine or someone elses). It's apparently possible to bring Shenhua's opinion of Ryo down below the initial value. I can't remember if this is tied to that, or if it's a stage in between standing at the door, and running up next to Ryo when sending him off.
Was she waking Ryo up in the mornings, or was he still getting up on his own?

Send me the link 🤣🤣
Why don't we make an online petition here at the Dojo to ask Ys Net to create Shenhua's original outfit and even those in the Calênder pictures to be sold has DLC like they do with Fortnite. I wouldn't mind paying 5 or 10 bucks for a DLC like that.
It would be extra Money and at the same time it would show that the fans still want to support the series.
They even had Shenhua's original outfit in the 2015 Kickstarter trailer, so it wouldn't be that hard for them to put it out there as DLC.

Last edited:
I quite like the extra outfits too, I still need to unlock the last ones on the DLC but working through them. I quite like Shenhua's yellow outfit but wouldn't mind her original one from Shenmue II having been an option.

I think it would be fun to see what kind of extra outfits Ren would wear.

While i think the yellow outfit is far greater than the original, i do agree they should have released the original as dlc. Actually, now that i think about it, a good portion of backers and others would have probably thrown a temper tantrum and demanded it for free or screamed how they've been scammed etc.

Since Shenmue 3 is wrapped up, maybe the good folks in the modding community can mod the outfit into the pc version? Certainly is possible

Last edited:
While i think the yellow outfit is far greater than the original.

I think the original has a more romantic look with the open sleeves and dress blowing in the wind.

The yellow pantsuit & beret hat would have been an interesting alternate outfit IMO.

How come all the capsule toys of Shenhua and pics of her in the Save Shenmue Bldg still have her in her original outfit?

"I think they just needed Shenhua to say "here is my village outfit. The previous one is the one I wear when I cross Languishan"

LOL Ryo would have responded "Why do you feel the need to explain this to me?"

Back